Greetings

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by John Stark, Aug 25, 2016.

1. John Stark

John Stark People Like Me

My wife and I used to play EQ until about 2006. We've been itching to play something together lately, and we are going for the nostalgia factor.

Live doesn't even seem like EQ to us anymore, and we decided it wasn't for us. I'd heard about EQ emulators awhile back and I started looking into it last year, but got side-tracked with real life. We have some more free time now, so here we are.

Our best memories of EQ were up to and including PoP, and we found the later expansions and level inflation to basically be the death knell of the game. So, we're going to give this server a try. We have kids that would like to play too, and the account options are very attractive here so that we can all play together.

Going to try the install today and see if we can get our group going.

I see Velious is up for release soon, so that gives us plenty of time to work "Classic" and Kunark until then!

Looking forward to giving this server a try. Thanks.

Asteria, Oiwon, Mokli and 4 others like this.
  2. MikayahEQ

MikayahEQ Well-Known Member

Awesome! Welcome to Takp! Once you get the game installed and some character names picked out, post them up here and you'll likely hear from some folks in game.

Likewise, be sure to announce yourself in /ooc (pro tip: /ooc is currently serverwide; /shout is used for zonewide), you'll definitely get a warm welcome.

I look forward to seeing you in game. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask, there are many of us that would be very happy to help you get settled in here.

Asteria and Oiwon like this.
  3. John Stark

Thanks for the welcome. We'll be sure to /ooc once we get started.

I am working on installing and setting up accounts at the moment, and reading the rules as I go along.

I see that having more than one forum account from the same IP is a bannable offense, unless an IP exemption is given. My wife and I would both like to play, and we have four children who would like to play as well.

The rules indicate that only 3 accounts can be running at the same time from the same IP, plus one bazaar account, but we have 6 people in the household who would like to play. We have no interest in boxing multiple characters, as we have a ready-made group of 6 to play together. We'd be happy to provide personal information discretely to a GM or Admin to show that we are a legitimate family and not scammers or whatever.

How does one go about getting the IP exemption for multiple forum accounts?

If I misunderstood the server and account rules, or failed to recognize the proper place to petition for the IP exemption, then I apologize in advance.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
    badfish likes this.
  4. MikayahEQ

You are correct about the rules on accounts. If you are familiar with the Discord app for chat/voice communications, the server has a Discord channel. If you talk to Speedz (or send him a message on the forums),he'd be the one to talk with about exemptions.

He helped me set one up for my 6 yr old son. Super easy process, but just a couple steps so that everything is setup properly.

badfish likes this.
  5. badfish

badfish Member

First of all, WELCOME!!!! Secondly, You guys should be good to go after getting an IP excemption.

On another note if you guys actually play a full group with 2 spouses and 4 kids i'll have no choice to smile ear to ear everytime i see you. That's awesome!

You should be able to contact Speedz via PM or jump in discord (a chat program that works in your browser or as an application). here's the invite for discord : https://discord.gg/PW2Aq2F you can also find it under takp resources at the top of the page.

Have fun!

Lenas likes this.
  6. MikayahEQ

7. John Stark

Thanks, I'll work on getting the IP exemption once I get the game running.

8. sowislifesowislove

sowislifesowislove People Like Me

Hey welcome man. You've definitely chose the right EQ exp. I've recently come from P99. This is where is at.

Oiwon, badfish and Lenas like this.
  9. John Stark

I was able to get the game loaded on my machine and my wife's machine, and we are able to log in using my game accounts after I resolved some technical glitches.

My character is an Ogre SK named Robertt, and her character is Troll Shammy named Elizzabeth. These were our characters on Live way back in the day, and we like class/race combo for a duo team.

The kids are chomping at the bit to play, lol. Once we get the IP exemption (crosses fingers), we'll set up account for our kids and get our main group going.

See you in game!

10. MikayahEQ

Nice! SK+SHM=$$

At this time I need to make you aware of a server covenant that is not well known, but it is of paramount importance for the future of the community on the server.

All races - especially Ogres, Trolls and Erudites - must commit to never eat gnomes. This is a policy that is in the best interest of everyone. Gnomes are so cute, and friendly. If it is helpful, you can practice this mantra: "Gnomes are friends, not food."

If for some reasons, someone (especially Bum) tries to influence you to go against this sacred vow, please report him to the nearest authorities. He's currently under investigation for inciting hostilities toward Gnomes and has been known to tie a group of gnomes together and use their heads as bongo drums, it's a horrific affront to all good Norrathians, and we must work together to ensure equality for all races.

Thank you for your support.

*This message paid for by Greater Norrath Order of Micropeoples for Equality and Safety (G.N.O.M.E.S.). I am Finadyn Cindernoogle and I approve this message.

Neealana likes this.
  11. Villide

Villide New Member

One of these things is not like the others!

No self-respecting Erudite would consider eating a gnome. There's not enough good Elven wine available to wash that taste down. /sniff

12. MikayahEQ

Villide,

I always would have agreed with you...until I met Bum. /shudder

13. Bum

Bum I Feel Loved

Get in my belly.

Oiwon and John Stark like this.
  14. John Stark

Halflings are far tastier than gnome, as long as you pluck the foot hairs out before consumption.

Gnomekabobs are hard to resist though, especially with that Oggok Special Sauce.

Dwarves are only good for bowling.

15. MikayahEQ

You know nothing John S̶n̶o̶w̶ Stark.

Bum and Oiwon like this.
  16. John Stark

I wanted to give a public thank you to Bum.

My wife and I were playing last night, and he sent me a tell asking how we were making out and our race/class choices. We chatted about numerous topics and he patiently answered my questions about how various things on the server work and so on.

While we were killing in the newbie zone, he shows up, completely without solicitation, buffs our character, and gave us both a weapon to help get us started. We had a lot of fun and dinged level 4 before we had to log out.

Thanks mate.

17. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

Great now you're an indentured servant to the server's richest man.

Mambo, Oiwon and MikayahEQ like this.
  18. Bum

Bum I Feel Loved

Oh did I not tell you? Now you are required to pay your weekly Bumtax™.

20% of all earned Plat or 50% if you are canook/Eurotrash. (Public healthcare and higher education cost you more)

Oiwon likes this.
  19. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

So basically, if I buy something in Bumzaar for 10k. I lose basically 10k. So you should pay me 2k?

Or do you not go both ways?

20. Bum

Bum I Feel Loved

The Government Bum does not pay itself taxes.

21. John Stark

Well its been a couple of years since we played EQ due to real life getting extremely busy back in 2016, along with a hard drive failure on my wife's computer and one of our older laptops our kids were playing on crapping out. What a couple of years though!

We apologize that we stopped playing so abruptly without at least a forum post, but RL circumstances were very hectic and difficult at the time, and our minds were not on EQ. We just never got back to playing again after that time due to how busy we were.

Things have finally slowed down, and we had the itch to play some EQ again.

Congrats to the server team and the Luclin launch, and particularly on the new client that makes it very easy to get the game up and running. Download, unzip, play with a few settings, and we were basically in game.

We'll probably spend a lot of our EQ time playing our family group, as we have a TON of fun playing with the kids and mostly prefer not to box (although the wife and I are thinking about rolling up a mage/ench/cleric trio for when the kids are in Dreamland).

However, our mains are Robbert Dreadford (52 SK) and Elizzabeth Terror (52 Sham), and in the evenings when the kids are in bed we are open to grouping up if others are so inclined.

A special thanks to Speedz, who helped us a couple of years ago to get accounts set up and approved for our kids.

Regards!

Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
    Mokli and Asteria like this.
  22. Neealana

Neealana People Like Me

Glad you made it back )

John Stark and Asteria like this.
  23. John Stark

Well, I ordered a couple of new laptops with dedicated graphics and ssd to replace a couple of the aging dinosaurs we bought a few years ago. so now all of the kids can play together with us.

And there was great rejoicing in the peanut gallery! :D