Give it to me straight...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Loiderius, Dec 17, 2015.

1. Loiderius

Loiderius New Member

Hello all! I played on Al'kabor and had a great time for the few months I was able to participate. I even recognize a lot of names (Darchon got me super excited when I saw their name) and it seems like a great little place you all are rebuilding. I just have a few questions and concerns that I would appreciate an honest answer to before I dig much further.

Will I ever be able to play a Rogue (main) on TAKP? If I dedicated the time to get one up to 60 (whether that involves Shm/Enc pseudo PL and skilling up or something if necessary) could I feasibly group with others or would I always only being playing him halfway while having to box a tank?

I started small with a Beastlord on AK and wound up 2-4 boxing when the servers went F2P. I enjoyed the boxing well enough but I really do not want to repeat Druid/Enc/Cleric/Mage/Wiz type boxes for the umpteenth time between AK, Live, EQEmu etc. if I do not have to go that route.

I have done an alt-tab dual melee/tank with Shd+ Brd, and rotating Mage/Shm/Enc trio on live as well. That relied heavily on /melody and mercenaries (mostly to heal tank while I fat fingered mez on bard and what not) so I am not positive how successfully I could pull off something like Paladin and Rogue + third here in Kunark and onward.

As I mentioned before I would understand if I could not roll out the level 1 gates and get rogue 1-60 with nonstop exp groups. Could I find space to play a rogue at max level without 3boxing all the time though? The discussion would not ultimately dissuade me from the server as I did have a lot of fun on AK. I have just been deprived of playing a rogue for so long and I miss them heh.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and I look forward to any discussion anyone provides. Even if it is just a lolno or Sure!

2. Neealana

Neealana People Like Me

Senbus is well on his way to 60, and he has not even one alt ( that I know of ).

3. Ghakim

Ghakim Well-Known Member

Hey Loiderius welcome to the server!

Yes having a rogue in your 3-box can be limiting in terms of viable 3-boxes.

As a consequence of this there are not that many rogues on the server proportionally which makes having a rogue that much more enjoyable.

1-50 yes you can find groups. You will have to look for them and they might not always be available. There is often someone leveling toons in HHK for instance. 50+ i have done a lot of grouping with others as an xp group and they are easier to find.

Here is the thing about level 60. We are currently in kunark era and there are no AAs so once you are 60 there is not much incentive to group with others unfortunately :cool:. People at 60 are generally trying to farm particular items and so don't want to roll against someone else.

You will probably be faced with the same thing at 60. You will want to solo whatever mobs you are after with your 3-box so you don't have to roll against others.

Rogues are awesome on raids though and you would always be a big asset to your guild. You will always be wanted in a raid and you will always be able to play a rogue like a rogue.

A successful rogue 3-box could include paladin/rogue/shaman or cleric so you are on the right track.

4. Loiderius

Loiderius New Member

Thank you for the replies everyone. I have a meeting at work for the next three hours so I will not be able to reply for a bit. I will mull over what you have said Ghak. Maybe I could start with something like Shaman, Paladin, caster and go to a rogue down the road. I know on P99 my friend and I actually quite successfully powerleveled my rogue from 34-50 in droga or nurga using a shaman. Torpor tank while the rogue backstabs and all the combat skills stayed relevant :D That way I could build up a team while Velious is continually developed and open up some options in the future.

5. Sketchy

Sketchy People Like Me

The nice thing about rogues is they stack well in groups and especially in raids. I would expect to do some boxing if you want to move quickly. I do know a rogue here, Kuron, who did most of his solo, but he was persistent and a really good guy to boot, so he he was always welcome in my groups. I do pal/shm/dru right now and have a 52 rogue I sometimes swap in over the druid. Its a fun trio but fairly busy.

6. surron

surron People Like Me

rogue solo is doable, it may take awhile tho, but what's the rush.

imo if you did druid/necro/rogue you would have a blast. druid and necro cover a ton of utility. you would be mainly fear kiting with rogue BSing or letting necro pet root tank while BSing at max melee range. if you just wanna 2 box then rogue/mage or rogue/necro

7. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

This server is on such a long development time-line that you can really make anything work successfully. Just depends on your patience.

8. Seknah

Seknah Member

I am working on three teams (all listed in my sig) I am game for grouping with anyone with any of them, though eventually those people would out-level me based upon my preferences on where and what I hunt, I don't go for the solid XP, I go for the experience of areas I have not experienced or need factions/drops from.

Mokli likes this.
  9. DarkAkuma

DarkAkuma Member

I understand your desire to feel like you're playing your Rogue. That's exactly one of the reasons I'm on this server. I played on PEQ:TGC from 2005 and off and on since, and over time was forced to box more and more to the point were it didn't feel like I was "playing" my Rogue, or Wizard for that matter. They had to get religated more as bot's as I had to focus more on other chars. But that wasn't the case back when I could just box 3 characters total. Sadly PEQ never had a boxing limit imposed and that ruined the server. But here on TAK the 3 box limit is perfect. I definitely feel like I'm playing my Rogue.

But in my case, I chose my other 2 classes (Enc/Dru) based on a view of enhancing my Rogues ability to solo. I would have soloed my Rogue, but I don't mind tabbing over to 2 other chars for buffs and heals. My Rogue became the tank of my group. 1-55, a Rogue not getting to BS the whole fight doesn't really matter a whole lot. Honestly, 1-40 its nice to tank so you can keep your defense skills up, which are otherwise harder to do so. I leveled up during a different time before skill ups were nerfed, so I can't say the same now. But even with my Rogue tanking I never had to worry about BS. It was always close to capped.

Through my 40's I played around with different setups. Just for fun. Fear kiting using Inimidate, Throwing, etc. Point is, you don't have to be locked into the idea of having to box a plate tank and healer to play your Rogue, and risk feeling like you're playing them more. Play what you want, and make that work. In the end you just may have more fun doing so.