Getting Started - Have some Questions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zagitiah, Aug 3, 2018.

1. Zagitiah

Zagitiah New Member

Hail TAKP!

I’ve been looking for a place to play old EQ and I hope this is the place for me! I used to play on Valon Zek and had a lvl 53ish warrior. I stopped playing 15 years ago around the release of LDON. I spent some time reading the forums and wiki but I have a bunch of questions before I jump in.

Computer related:

1) I just purchased a new macbook pro – will I be able to run the program smoothly?

2) I use to play on Windows back in the day – is it a very different play experience?

3) Are the instructions to install easy to follow? I’m not very tech savvy.

4) Is this program secure? Do I risk slowing my computer or getting bugs from the extra software I need to install?

Server related – as I previously said I used to play on Vallon Zek so I have some game play questions:

5) There is no PVP, correct? So all races can group together?

6) Will the NPCs in the towns kill you if you are an enemy race?

7) I believe it said Luclin just came out but it is based on Planes of Power era… so is there a way to port and is there planes of knowledge?

8) What happens when I die? Do I lose XP, can I get a rez to get it back? Do I have to do a corpse run to get all of my equipment?

9) Boxing – I have never done this before but I think I am down to give it a shot. It would at least seem useful if I can’t find a group. Does 3 boxing mean controlling 3 characters at once? So you switch back and forth between them all?

10) Boxing - I previously played a dark elf warrior and dark elf healer. Would this be a good combo along with a third? Suggestions on the third? I’d probably want to stay evil because I enjoyed Neriak and lava storm and want to level up there.

Thanks in advance for helping out this noob! I am so excited to return to Norath!

-Zagitiah

2. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

1) Yes, I three box on a 2015 macbook air.
    2) The client is older than the LDoN client you last used. So, maybe.
    3) If you can download things and run them, yes.
    4) You have nothing to worry about from the program.
    5) There is PVP but it is consentual in the form of duels. Anyone can group.
    6) Yes.
    7) Yes to both.
    8) Yes to all.
    9) Yes.
    10) Tank and healer is pretty much a requirement for any activity. Add anything you want and you'll be fine regardless of what it is.

3. Ransom

Ransom Well-Known Member

Planes of Power is not yet developed by our awesome team. However, Plane of Knowledge is in, connected to all of the Old World, Kunark and Velious portals, as well as the Nexus in Luclin. You don't need ports here to travel, but they can be handy for getting out of dungeons quickly.

Boxing takes some time, effort and can be extremely frustrating at first if you have never done it. Especially at lower levels. I'd suggest trying two at once to start, and before level 10 adding a third. Using the various suggested programs on the TAKP Getting Started wiki page will lead you in the right direction.

Basic box team is Tank / Healer / Support or DPS. If you go Dark Elf Warrior and Dark Elf Cleric, any third class would work. If you want easier classes to box, I suggest cleric, wizard, mage and possibly beastlord. These allow you to focus on your main character.

You've found the most stable and friendliest(community) version of EQ out there. Congrats!

4. Tuluvien

Tuluvien I Feel Loved

Shaman would be a great addition, could treat him mostly as a buff/debuff bot with a pet. Boxing is easy. Boxing well is not .

Ripwind and Ransom like this.
  5. Zagitiah

Zagitiah New Member

Thanks for the responses! I think this should be enough to get me started. Woo!

pharmakos likes this.
  6. Bum

Bum I Feel Loved

Ps I 3 box + bumzaar trader on a 2007 iMac and it runs flawless. A new mbp will blow it out of the water

7. Quirk

Quirk Well-Known Member

I sometimes 3 box on my 2014 13" MBP. The fans kick in, but it's smooth.

Lenas likes this.
  8. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

No matter what mac hardware you're on, boxing 3 characters will feel much more responsive if you disable the animation for switching desktop spaces. How you do that depends on your version of macOS but it should be looked into.

lurari likes this.
  9. lurari

lurari People Like Me

TotalSpaces for life!

Lenas likes this.