Garadain CHAARGE!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Intentional, Nov 12, 2017.

1. Intentional

Intentional Member

Seems like ring 8 Garadain has some variability in the timing that he runs into battle after shouting "charge."

I did the quest 11Nov17 and he shouted charge and stood around for a bit, giving me time to turn in the chief's head.

Then today I did the quest and he immediately ran into battle after shouting. I was completely unprepared for this, and so he died before I completed the turn in - doh!

What have other folks experienced?

2. Lusiphur

Lusiphur Member

Same as you. 2 days ago.

3. Videri-Tala

Videri-Tala Well-Known Member

I have also had a Garadain kamikaze straight into the fort earlier than expected and had to redo it. RIP!

Also, it seems that he says 'Charge' rather than zone-wide shouting it. Shouldn't he shout? I never did it on AK, as I only got to level 30.

4. Sketchy

Sketchy People Like Me

Hmmm honestly was always focused on making sure people handed the ring if after he said charge. I think he did stand around for 15-20sec. I would honestly have to check my logs to to be sure.

5. Intentional

Intentional Member

AH! I lost another ring 8. Good ole Leeeeeeroooooy Glacierbane.

This time he went in immediately after saying charge, and beelined for the group inside the fort. Didn't engage the ones outside.

Any thoughts on how to do this more reliably? Perhaps charm him and do the turnin while hes charmed? Train away all of the mobs so theres nothing there for him to engage when he kamikazes in? Just bring a force and kill it all?

Any thoughts or feedback is appreciated.

6. Liegezen

Liegezen People Like Me

Unless they've changed anything since I did my 2 rings, you don't need to wait for him to yell charge.

I had both my ring 8's done in about 2 and a half minutes after starting the event. I've seen in guides where it says to wait also, so no idea if its currently accurate, but for now should at least save you losing another ring if he's booking it to the fort too soon after yelling charge.

Edit: To clarify, I did my turn ins when he was still calling the dwarven armies to him and doing his little pep talk. I had my ring in inv before the giant or dwarf armies even fully spawned.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
    Videri-Tala likes this.
  7. showstring

showstring I Feel Loved

that makes sense Liegezen

the NPC doesn't respawn between the script starting and him yelling "Charge", and since it's the same NPC it should accept the item just the same

8. Videri-Tala

Videri-Tala Well-Known Member

Is he supposed to become a new NPC?

9. Faults

Faults I Feel Loved

No. On AK I would kill the chief and turn in head asap with no problem. Here I tend to wait for charge and then hail immediately and hand in. 4 rings in i think im done on takp with that quest.

10. Intentional

Intentional Member

Ah, interesting. I'll try handing a head in to him during his pep-talk.

Will provide an update in the next day or two on how it goes.

11. Saenayil

Saenayil People Like Me

Try it on the dev server first so you dont poof another ring 8 by accident.

12. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

Dev server doesn't have Velious or Kunark zones anymore.

13. Saenayil

Saenayil People Like Me

My bad. I thought only kunark zones were excluded.

14. Intentional

Intentional Member

Tried out doing a Chief head turn-in during his pep talk. It worked, so I got a Ring 8 without the risk of him suiciding in :)

He does despawn upon completion, so you're only able to turn in a single Chief head for each event. Doesn't look like theres gonna be any way to recover from the events that I lost him on. Oh well - lesson learned. Guess thats EQ!

Thanks for the help everyone. Hope this saves other folks some trouble in the future

15. Sketchy

Sketchy People Like Me

Lesson learned as well, always read in the p99 guide to wait until CHARGE. So many minutes wasted...

16. Intentional

Intentional Member

Final update. I recommend the following:
    -Turn in marching orders
    -Invis in
    -Wake of Tranq Chief
    -Pull and kill chief
    -Loot head
    -Invis out
    -Find Garadain and immediately give him the head (Don't bother waiting to determine at what point of his speech he is at. If it is too early, he'll just give you the "I don't need this item, please have it back" text and return the head - so no risk of losing)
    -Repeat the head turn after each time he says a block of text until he takes it
    -Walk away happy

Doing it this way doesn't require that you know exactly what point of his speech routine he is currently in, which you sometimes miss since its in a small-radius /say and not a zone-wide /shout.

Videri-Tala likes this.
  17. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

P99 doesnt typically use scripts that hand items back, if not needed. In this case, if he isnt ready to accept, he gives back on takp. On p99, he would just eat it.

18. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

This has be curious...

Is the script to hand it back set on a per mob/quest/turn in basis?

Or if you are turning in to the wrong NPC or at incorrect faction will all TAKP NPCs return the item?

I know that certain quests with level checks will eat items if you don't meet the check.