Full Screen w/ Stoneui

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zaide, Oct 24, 2020.

1. Zaide

Zaide New Member

Hey folks,

I am trying to use the stoneui with fullscreen and ideally my native 1920x1080 resolution. Despite setting my resolution in the ini file I still only get to select from a few premade resolution options, and even when using the larger options it actually just increases the window via a large black border around my stoneui / viewport. Any ideas or solutions here?

I've uploaded a screenshot of what I mean for the sake of clarity.
    example.png

Cheers.

2. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

I thought that UI only supported 640 x 480 or 800 x 600? Maybe I'm thinking of the original UI and not the Velious remake of it.

3. solar

solar Administrator Staff Member

I think it was 640x480. It also doesn't fully work unfortunately (crashes on vendors and other things I think).

4. Lyrina

Lyrina Member

StoneGUI is limited to 640x480p, no matter what your screenresolution is ;-).

5. DubRemix88

DubRemix88 People Like Me

How can i love and hate something so much at the same time...

6. ArcasArendal

ArcasArendal New Member

If you have an nvidia card, there's an option in the control panel under "Adjust desktop size and position" to use integer scaling. Using that, you should be able to run it fullscreen at 640x480, scaled 2x at 1920x1080 without blurry pixels. Still low res, and you might already be doing this, but that seems like probably the best way to go if you want to use the stone UI.

Zaide likes this.
  7. Aporia

Aporia Member

I managed to get the classic UI in full screen by simply copying my existing eqclient.ini (which was already configured for 1920x1080) and making NewUI=FALSE. Using the new .ini, the game now launches in a "stretched" full screen classic UI, and I can Alt-Enter back and forth between full screen and a tiny window. It seems really stable as well (no crashing so far), great nostalgic experience.

The one issue I'm having is that my character portrait is blacked out in the inventory screen. I seem to remember playing around with the classic UI on TAKP several years ago and being able to see the character portrait. Has anyone else run into that issue and know how to get the portrait working? One of the neater aspects of the classic UI for sure.

8. Zaide

Zaide New Member

Hmm, mine is already set to NEWUI=False and it still comes out as a small box. Odd.

9. ekauq

ekauq New Member

I know it is a bit old, but I did some testing and it turns out there are two different resolution locations to check. The first is the eqclient.ini, the second is in the game itself. In the old UI, under Options and Display, check what you have for Video Mode. If it's larger than 640x480, then the old UI is going to have a border.

You can change it under the Option settings on the login screen (you can change it in game as well, but I ran into issues doing this when it went to 1600x1200). I think changing it in the Option settings will also change your eqclient.ini values, so you can just change those back, the in game 640x480 shouldn't change. As long as the in game resolution shows as 640x480, you should have a full screen old UI.

Just a little note, the old UI will stretch with a wide resolution. If you want to prevent that, you'll want to use a 4:3 resolution. I find that 1280x960 (double 640x480) works well and gives me enough desktop space when I need to alt-tab out of the game.

10. DeanHanks

DeanHanks New Member

Is there a way to use the largest screen resolution? I would like to go full screen. But, it gives me a 1017 patch update message when I try to use the largest screen resolution.

11. solar

The StoneUI is 640x480 only. You can maximize the window but if your screen is not 4:3 ratio it will be distorted. It should be possible to make a hack to magnify and pillar box it better, or it might even be possible using dgvoodoo2, dxwnd or some other widescreen type directx wrapper. It's unfortunately hard coded to 640x480, that's why they made the new xml file based UI and replaced it.

12. skulkingfox

skulkingfox Member

Hey - I've been trying to get this to work as good as possible on my 1440p monitor with PQ and have come up with a few things to share:

1. You'll want to start with VideoMode=0 in the eqclient.ini so it's rendering at 640x480
    2. In dgVoodoo set your resolution, and disable "Application controlled fullscreen/windowed state". PQ ships with dgVoodoo already installed, otherwise you can download it.
    upload_2023-10-30_13-35-42.png

upload_2023-10-30_13-34-4.png

Finally, download Magpie and use FSR. In Scaling Configuration in FSR's settings change the scale mode to "Absolute" and use a 4:3 display ratio:

upload_2023-10-30_13-37-0.png

The game will look something like this afterward - it's full screen at 1440p with black bars to keep it 4:3 (after activating Magpie with CTRL + WIN + A):

upload_2023-10-30_13-38-25.png

Frosst, Cadsuane, Manstache and 2 others like this.
  13. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

What a great use for FSR. FSR (AMD tech) at a driver level should be useable my almost any GPU going back to the 1080's/580's/etc. Do you have to download anything else to get this to work on Nvidia/Intel GPU's?

14. solar

This is great, thanks for writing it up.

skulkingfox likes this.
  15. skulkingfox

skulkingfox Member

You don't have to download anything else. In Magpie FSR is embedded so it will work on every GPU.

The upscaling isn't perfect, but you can layer effects on top of FSR in Magpie. If I find some good settings I'll share them too.

Mokli likes this.
  16. Xavier_Halcyon

Xavier_Halcyon New Member

Sorry to rez an old post but I've also been frustrated with black borders and very small game screen with the stone ui. I did everything in your post and here's what happened to me:

VideoMode=1

Any time I change it to 0, it resets back to 1 any time I boot the game.

NewUI=TRUE

I've set it to FALSE and it resets back to TRUE

dgvoodoo and magpie settings are exactly yours

I've toggled the login screen options to the resolution I desire. All resolutions in game, display, dgvoodoo, etc, all match and are no different from each other.

Any time I boot the game, everything resets and defaults back to 640x480 with black borders.

Any tips on how to even get 1280x960? Heck, I'd settle for 800x600 at this point lol. I'm just tired of having it insisting on staying 640x480 and resetting back to defaults no matter what I do in any settings anywhere.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2024
  17. The Shade

The Shade Active Member

Did you ensure the file isn't set as read-only? That's often a culprit. I recall that has been discussed several times in various places.