Exp rates

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Marche, Sep 11, 2014.

1. Marche

Marche New Member

Has there been any distinction on EXP rates for the server? While I enjoy p99 its ultra slow pace I feel wont be suited for TAKP. I highly suspect that once the "progression" aspect of the server is finished, in which there will be many zones in which to level up in, groups will be spread all over an already thin populace of "leveling toons". Personal vote would be something a bit hastened, as what i loved about AK wasn't the leveling, it was the endgame/AA grind.

2. Yinn Yang

Yinn Yang People Like Me

IMHO, they should be whatever they were on AK... I don't think accelerating anything would make any sense. Seems about right to me at the moment, not too fast, not too slow.

3. Tollen

Tollen Member

ATM while testing the exp is set to 2x rate, it was slower those first few days of testing, when we go live or Open Beta they will revert back the lower rate.

This is based on discussions with speedz and other devs, I'm sure they will chime in if I'm wrong or left anything out.

4. necra

necra People Like Me

AK had a global 10% exp bonus is that going to be included?

5. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

I thought it was more than 10, something like 20%? But yea I do know Hobart had a special one on Al'Kabor. That should definitely be included.

6. dcdebonair

dcdebonair New Member

I know there were big xp bonuses for groups, but was there a base xp bonus?

7. Yinn Yang

Yinn Yang People Like Me

Yes, I believe all of AK was given a 10% bonus over regular live servers.

8. Esildor

Esildor Member

What about our finicky group exp mechanics? out of range for more exp etc, that going to be in?

9. Manstache

Manstache Active Member

depends on box limit I guess; OOR exp was one of my favorite features of AK

10. Krimziniv

Krimziniv New Member

exp is zonewide right now, and rob said he hadnt touched exp at all yet i asked in ooc tonight. So seems like just a plain 2x exp for now

11. Placer

Placer Well-Known Member

Hobart put in a 20% boost. There was also a 20%*(n-1) bonus for the groups, for up to 5 players and 80% still at a full group. Sometimes you see these netted as 20-100% for up to 5... But I think it really is implemented as 2 different things. I have no idea if this is in yet and operating correctly on top of the ZEM and/or other xp mechanics. There are other bugs in the xp awards that would make this hard to test right now.

I would expect to see no significant differences in the project vs. original AK. There is talk about filling in some content gaps like missing newbie armors. But the mechanics should be as they were on AK as best as can be approximated.

12. Kazlan

Kazlan New Member

I would love to see the missing newbie armor quests implemented. I feel people might choose race/class based on who has theese if not...

13. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

I HIGHLY doubt people make their race choice on newbie armor.

I don't believe they can even implement it because the item IDs used for many of the newbie armors exceed what this server/client/database had access to. Just like Al'Kabor.

I'd say, don't worry too much about newbie armor. It's a very small aspect of the game. It's a fun set of quests to work on through your low levels. But it isn't something that I would wish the developers spend much time coding or reworking.

14. Kazlan

Kazlan New Member

Getting into your stride is much easier with some gear. Something you probably wont have untill your 20s if you play as either barb, troll or ogre or any other races that have no newb armor quest. Races that do have acces to newb armor will level much faster and most likely enjoy TAK more so. Later on trolls and ogres wil rule all ofc! :)

15. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

You overstate the usefulness of newbie armor :p. It's 1 or 2 stats, which at low levels are extremely negligible.

I'm pretty confident people will be rolling all races.

16. Neealana

Neealana People Like Me

While I would like to see all the newbie armor quests in, it is not as simple a matter as I once thought. The developers are limited in the number of items they can have in their data base. I know I would not like them to go through thousands of items to decide which are not needed on this server !

17. Torven

Torven I Feel Loved

The number of items in the database isn't an issue. In fact many thousands can be removed (some may have been already) since the server stops at PoP and much of the data was copied over from PEiQ.

Hell the quests may actually already be in since quests were also copied over.

As for exp, AK's bonus was 20% according to Zamiel's exp thread. (saved copy can be found here https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B9w2lZ- ... edit?pli=1)

Personally I am very much in favor of keeping the exp rate as AK had it, or possibly even with the 20% bonus removed. Since the server will release expacs one at a time, there isn't much of a need for it anymore. AK also had some bugs with exp which made 5 man groups the most optimal and I am very much in favor of NOT replicating that bug.

As for out of range exp funneling... I'm also against replicating what I consider to be a kind of exploit. It was fun to abuse though.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2015
  18. robregen

robregen Administrator Staff Member

We do have a lot of room for more items. It just that we can't have item id past 32676 since our client only allow any item id under that number. Otherwise we get what Client tells us that we have a "bogus item". quite a few items needed for newbie quest for Ogre, Trolls and Barbs are past that number. We would have to change the item id somewhere below that 32676 number. Then we wold have to go through quests to change that and all that jazz. Not a priorities for that. However for Time chest items on AK that didn't quite made it to the server, we will definately have those for our server.

19. Speedz

Speedz Administrator Staff Member

For specific items that you all know of relating to quests, look in the "Things to help with" forum.
    Go into quests and follow the directions in the sticky.
    If we have accurate records of items missing.
    We can eventually add them as well as any missing quests.

20. Vexus

Vexus New Member

That was a really fun video to watch.

21. Kazlan

Kazlan New Member

Ok. So no newbie Quests from server going beta. Didn't realize it was a lot of work. Honestly thought it was quite easy. I'll stop asking for it on the forums. No Reason to put them in later IMHO. Peeps will twink or get some gear from others. Guess I'll take up smithing and make myself some banded.

But I think on a fresh server newb quests and armor will make a big difference. I'm gonna roll troll or ogre anyway but I think it will be tons harder than rolling some toon who gets newb gear.

Mino axes for me it seems :)

22. furst

furst Member

you realize as an ogre or troll, you are going to have better stats anyways w/o the newbie armor

Ghakim likes this.
  23. Torven

Torven I Feel Loved

Weird. 32k is in Omens of War territory. Did SOE not fix these quests until freakin' Omens?

Edit: Allakhazam uses different IDs and SOE's are stupidly all over the place