eqgame.dll camera smoothness

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by surron, Nov 1, 2023.

1. surron

surron People Like Me

Will TAKP be able to receive the "camera smoothness, experimental update" Secrets/Ailia did for Project Quarm?

It's absolutely amazing and I know TAKP players would like it. (This isn't about 3rd person mouse scroll, it's about general camera. It's improved my FPS significantly.)

2. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

The Ryzen 7xxx turbo fix would be good to get in as well, if it was indeed fixed over there. It will likely be needed when AMD releases its 8000 series soon as well.

3. solar

solar Administrator Staff Member

I'll see what I can do, maybe an optional mod for those who want it and don't care about pure/AKurate.

4. benoeb

benoeb People Like Me

Nah, forget that silly camera smoothness. Give me better visibility in plane of water. Last time Temerity raided Coirnav, it was down to 22% hp by the time I was able to make my way over to the mob post AE nuke clarity.

lurari and jbry2 like this.
  5. Rexas

Rexas Member

In a recent patch notes thread you prided yourself on adhering to a no hacks/malware TAKP, so would this not be in direct contradiction to that belief?

6. solar

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

We have some nice visual enhancement hacks for the client but it's important to me that our server works with the unmodified client as best as we can get it to be like the real server.
    Beyond that, modding and doing custom things is nice for those who want those things, but they're not for everyone and I wouldn't suggest forcing those kinds of things on people by default. I develop for the unmodified Macintosh client first, but I'll try to get some of these other things out soon as I've seen people asking for a while. We open sourced all the server stuff so if you're interested you can just fork it on github and start working on it too, make it work your own way.

7. Devour_Souls

Devour_Souls People Like Me

TBF the PC client isn't unaltered already.

8. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

You don't want to break Mac client compatibility if server side changes need to happen to support the *new* client features, that's what he's really talking about. PQ doesn't care about the Mac client, so they can and will do what they want on the PC side.

9. Starsha

Starsha Member

Please don't break the Mac Client. I played EQ on a Mac on AK and I still play on a Mac here on TAKP. I have a separate partition so I can run the non-64 Bit EQ, if EQ could run on 64-Bit, I wouldn't have to have a separate partition (Do I ever dare to dream that could occur?). I worry when my current Mac is replaced, I will have to use the new Apple M-architecture to play through Parallels > Windows to get to my beloved TAKP server or I will have to simply not play EQ (which makes me sad because of the community I have here). While I like the idea of having new bells and whistles to use, I only use the Mac Client, I realize this is my choice. I haven't used Windows for a decade now, and I like that I have been able to survive in a Microsoft-free zone.

I do appreciate all the work which has gone into this server!! I realize only a small percentage of people here play on a Mac, but playing on a Mac is AKaccurate in my mind.

10. solar

The original Mac client is the standard for TAKP, we aren't planning to change that.

Starsha, Neealana, Break and 2 others like this.