Epic hand-ins

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dranthor, May 28, 2015.

1. Dranthor

Dranthor Active Member

Are the epic hand-ins that are currently available confirmed to be either working or not working? If they haven't been confirmed either way, will items be refunded if they don't work?

Not expecting these to be worked on if the development progress isn't at this stage yet, just wondering what the status is. Confirmed yes - I might try them, confirmed no - I'll wait, unconfirmed - would be a good way to have this beta tested if refunds were going to be offered.

2. robregen

robregen Administrator Staff Member

The wiz epic hand-ins should be working. The turn in for Cleric epic turn in at Sol Ro Temple should be working as well. The rest have not been tested or confirmed to be working yet. We're still in development in Kunark. So Epic would be worked on after those are done or near done.

3. Sketchy

Sketchy People Like Me

Ghoulbane and SoulFire quests are good to go for pallies. The shaman epic is not functioning. Some parts work, like the very first step killing peg leg in BB. The test of patience doesnt work so that is the end for now.

4. Yinn Yang

Yinn Yang People Like Me

For the monk, headbands and sashes seem to be working fine so far (up to red for both). Have not even got close to the Raster/Targin parts yet, so no idea what might happen if you turn in to Zephyl or Qwinn. Anyone done those?

5. Elroz

Elroz I Feel Loved Staff Member

I've seen a few monks with their robe of lost circle, pretty sure it's working.

6. robregen

robregen Administrator Staff Member

you can do that on Dev if you are not sure about it on takp. that way you won't lose your items here.

7. Verdent

Verdent People Like Me

I think the monks with the robe might have just killed one of the BRO's for it.

8. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

Is there any intention on allowing Multi-Questing code for epics?

I could go either way on this personally.

On 1 hand it's how it worked on Al'Kabor for almost all quests (PoP quests had hidden flags on certain ones). Plus it makes it much easier to quest an epic for an alt/box if you can loot things on your main and MQ it to yourself.

On the other hand it can lead to greedy people locking down mobs to sell epic pieces. I'm doubtful that would happen on a server this new and of this size, with the types of people who play here. Plus it sounds like coding from EQEmu database to handle MQing is tedious.

It would suck to see Soul Leeches and Gnarled Staves rot because someone wasn't online though.

Edit: just did some forum searching, looks like there is intent to add it, which is good news!

Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
  9. Sketchy

Sketchy People Like Me

I really hope MQ appears here, it was such a useful tool. It sucks to see rare gear rot. And besides, it was on AK too =)

10. Yinn Yang

Yinn Yang People Like Me

Certainly possible, but as I recall, before Velious came out, Brothers Qwinn and Zephyl were virtually impossible to kill. I believe they would quad for big numbers (for the era anyway), ran at SoW speed, immune to run speed changes, etc. Very difficult, even with a good group. I did hear of one trick during Velious days that was nerfed, it involved giving the Brother a Worn Great Staff which he would then wield and he did much less damage that way. But pre-Velious (and especially pre-Kunark), they should be insanely difficult, if not impossible to kill.

By the time 60 could be reached and VT was being raided, people were then able to go out and kill them fairly easily, but prior to that, it was tough.

It's fun to go back and read some of the old Allakazam posts about the challenges of killing those guys back before and during Velious. Lot's of speculation on how it could/should be done.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
  11. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

Giving NPCs 2 handers killed their ability to dual wield. Which was a solid 40% of their DPS. I'm pretty sure this was deemed an exploit and removed though. I doubt it existed on Al'Kabor.

During this era it would be a tough kill, though I imagine rather doable with enough people.

In Kunark, level 60, better gear, defensive discipline... It becomes a lot more doable with 2-3 groups probably.

On P99, I've done them with a group and duo'd using clerics with puppet strings pets.

12. Pinoit

Pinoit Well-Known Member

Please no Epic MQs.

As "convenient" as it may seem, or as much of a "pity" it may seem when stuff rots, the effect on the economy and overall community health is devastating. Let P99 be a solid example here.

Nothing is more ridiculous than groups turning away level 5 rogues because they don't have their epics, or the frenzy that is Ragefire every time he pops as guilds with multiple non-clerics race to turn in their pearls so they can sell the MQ, screwing a "legit" cleric out of their chance.

No thank you very much.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
  13. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

If it existed on AK, it should exist here. At the very least, it should be coded in with a toggle and if it becomes a problem it can be disabled.

Honestly though, the population is probably going to be pretty low until Luclin is released. I don't think there's much to worry about just yet.

14. Yinn Yang

Yinn Yang People Like Me

MQ was a part of the game as long as I can remember, whether on the PC server or when I was on AK. I never saw any ill effects (like farming), but I was mostly focused on the monk epic. MQ had it's risks too, so it wasn't entirely dumbing down the quest... you could lose all your items if you didn't do it right.

I distinctly recall a few occasions (did the monk epic 3 times) when a player I barely knew offered to MQ pipes or the Raster Idol for me, no charge at all. My first epic was no MQ start to finish, but the next two had a couple of MQ's in the mix and I was never charged a single plat for any of them. I guess I'd like to be optimistic and hope we have that kind of player-base on this server too.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
  15. Dranthor

Dranthor Active Member

I mostly think that an Epic is something you should do entirely yourself since it is supposed to be a huge accomplishment achieved by the few dedicated people that put the time in. Although, I can see the point of view that some times luck just doesn't go your way and it could be possible that you just aren't around the one chance you had to get something. If guilds are doing it occasionally to help out their members I don't see an issue with it, but the minute people start farming MQ pieces to sell and it takes away the opportunity for other people to play the game the way it was intended, it should be disabled immediately. Having MQ disabled is one of my favorite things about this server.

16. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

You use extreme examples. Ones I've never come across.

If you didn't allow MQs, there can still be level 1 rogues with epics. Pick pocket pages, do entire epic up to General. Loot general box on level 1 rogue, give rogue JDD from Renux to rogue, and maybe loot Quill. If not, kill Advisor or Coercer for Robe of Kedge, trade other 3 rogues and do turn in in West Karana. Then do final epic turn in.

I've played on P99 for 5 years. Never have I been in a group where a player is turned away because they don't have an epic. If that happens, it's an issue with individuals, not the environment.

It was something on Al'Kabor, it should be here.

If anything, I would suggest the staff just ban players from selling Epic MQs. That way you can still MQ rare drops to your guildmates, but you cannot farm platinum by locking down camps and preventing others from doing their quest. This I would be in full support of, because it really didn't happen much at all on Al'Kabor. I think I traded a Blue Crystal Staff/Gnarled Staff MQ once on Al'Kabor and that's it. (I was after VS for Warrior legs and after Phinny for Bard backbone... Wasn't farming them to sell) Can't say I ever saw anyone else buying/selling epic MQs on Al'Kabor.

It's a small server right now. It would be very difficult to skirt the "Don't sell Epic MQs" rule if one were put in place.

Sturmm likes this.
  17. Tollen

Tollen Member

Having MQ work or not, is not a matter of just changing a 0 to 1

18. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

I'm well aware of that. But I made mention of it because Epics are the primary location MQs took place. Also worth mentioning:

Secrets of the Planes (Hope Stone)
    Sigil Earring of Veracity
    Dozekar Quests
    Velious Armor

Those are the areas I used MultiQuesting on Al'Kabor. Mostly because I preferred to play my Druid all the time and it was far more convenient to loot a no drop piece on him and turn it in for an alt rather than corpsing or running an alt/guildmate out to wherever the item was.

But the vast majority of player's experience with MQing Happened with epic quests. Which is why it would be nice if those specific quests were coded to handle that functionality. Especially if it is something that needs to be fixed on a quest-by-quest basis. If it were easily blanket fixable I'd say make any quest that allowed it on AK to allow it here.

If not, going forward into Kunark, I'd say just focus on implementing it in Epic Quests.

I can certainly understand and appreciate the concern of people who look at P99 and see what the market of MQ'd Epics can create, specifically with Ragefire. But many of those problems are fixed by later EQ changes. Changes which Al'Kabor had, like Pearlescent Shards and Ragefire in Skyfire for example.

19. Lyrad

Lyrad Member

There was a pretty significant amount of Velious armor MQing especially in the early AK years.

20. Sketchy

Sketchy People Like Me

Ughh, I know it is a long long way off, but trying to coordinate dozekar quests without MQ would be a nightmare.

21. Lyrad

Lyrad Member

In fact without MQ you would very likely have MORE permacamping for Dozekar.

22. Toejam

Toejam Member

I never liked MQ, it was never an intended mechanic according to Sony, some call it a bug that never got fixed. And as some people have pointed out can make it way harder to actually obtain your Epic quest because some of the epics can be monetized easily, which basically forces you to buy your own epic instead of questing for it. It makes people choose to bag an item for MQ instead of offering it up in /ooc. As far as the Epic itself goes, the name says it all. I think being able to MQ many epics definitely makes them way less "epic" and make it a lot less special.

And the "No Epic MQ" rule. Who is going to enforce this? It's a can of worms you do not want to open. Just leave MQ out, there will be less Epics rotting on Alts, and obtaining the epic will actually be an "epic" feat like it was intended to be

23. Elroz

Elroz I Feel Loved Staff Member

The great thing about this era of EQ is that a lot of the epic blocks have been removed, ie farming pearl frags to spawn ragefire (if you farm them to sell MQ's, you deserve the money, that's an awful camp). This community is also not devolved into what p99's community is, when kunark has been out for 5 years I'm sure there'll be epic twinks running around. I'm not really for or against MQ'ing, but if there's one reason I'd be in favor of MQ'ing is because I've seen 10 magi p'tasa kills and 0 earth staffs for mage epic, I can't imagine killing him and having an earth staff rot, that'd be demoralizing. Pretty sure that's going to be the biggest epic hangup on the entire server.

My prediction is the first real MQ's for plat we'll see is HoT and WToV quest armor from trash mobs. When you think how 1 group of people can farm trash all night and sell the armor MQ's for decent money, that'll be camped pretty heavy for a while. I don't really think it's gamebreaking, it might just be an annoyance at worst. Those trash mobs are only like 2 hour respawn so it wouldn't hold up entire raid nights from farming armor.

Anyways, it doesn't matter right now since MQ'ing doesn't work, it's all just hypothetical situations. P99 being used as an example is fine but just remember their circumstances are wayyyyy different than takp's.

24. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

Same people who monitor 4+ boxing I would imagine.

It wouldn't be that bad, create the rule, then no posting on these boards about selling MQ and no using in-game chats.

Both of which are where almost all trade transactions occur. Though it is understandable if they don't want to take this responsibility on.

That being said, while it wasn't an intended mechanic, it makes sense. Why would a quest giver care if the bracer comes from person A and the gems come from person B. He just wanted the items to complete whatever crafting magic he is doing haha. Atleast thats how I think about it.

Really, it comes down to the community. I think the Al'Kabor community handled it fine. I expect TAK will as well given the population stays similar.

25. Bum

Bum I Feel Loved

WTS Blue Crystal Staff MQ!

26. Zetro

Zetro Member

I think multi-questing (as it existed on Al'Kabor) belongs in the project's mission statement and goals. Even if technical and labor considerations mean that it has to be a distant achievement. Or a gradual one, with epic and rite-of-passage quests such as jboots coming first.

27. Tuluvien

Tuluvien I Feel Loved

On the odd occasion I saw MQ for sale on AK it was usually the case that this person had just picked up the item as last resort. Some people certainly did "farm" for the items to sell, but again it was usually a passive farm. They would hit the target regularly as they went into a specific zone but didn't really poopsock.

More often than seeing an MQ for sale I would notice someone looking in alliance or where ever for an MQ to purchase, so at least while I played AK (only the last few years) the balance seemed to be away from a locked down market.

I like MQ.

28. Yinn Yang

Yinn Yang People Like Me

I guess I didn't spend enough time on P99 to see it become an issue. On AK, it just wasn't really an issue at all.

And as far as level it can be obtained, if done right, a level 1 monk could also get an epic without MQing. You'd have to get him down into dangerous parts of Chardok and KC, but otherwise, pretty simple. Have him loot RotLC off Qwinn or Zephyl, he could be CoHed to pipe camps in Chardok and KC, Dreadlands turn-in for RotWF would be easy; then have him camp out at Xeno fight spot in LOIO and log in to loot fang when fight is over. That would result in epic on level 1 monk.