Dev server testing

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Speedz, Feb 1, 2015.

1. Speedz

Speedz Administrator Staff Member

As I mentioned, we now have the ability to copy any toon to the dev server.
    It copies on a per toon by target basis. It grabs everything relating to that toon, Loginserver, account, and all character data.
    Corpses currently do not copy, make sure you are geared up and such prior to the copy.
    The only issue that remains is something we have not been able to identify.

PC can switch servers just fine, no issue there.
    But, OSX seems to refuse to want to change to a different server even after editing the eqhost.txt
    Things tried:
    Editing the eqhost.txt from a PC and copying to OSX - fail
    Removing /Library/Application Support/Everquest - fail
    Making sure no character ini files exist and removing the eqclient.ini which forces the game to create a new one - fail
    Making an entirely new copy of the EverQuest.app and doing all previous steps with a new launcher - fail

I have looked around on my mac to see if there is a rogue file it creates somewhere that makes it expect a certain server and found nothing.
    This kinda puts a slight damper on a fair equal opportunity of both platform players getting the chance to test on dev if desired.
    If anyone who knows OSX far better can chime in or do some investigation that would be great.

Had someone with a mac login just now it seemed to work after removing the eqclient.ini, This def needs further testing from other people to make sure it is resolved. But progress!

We plan on implementing a reward system of some sort on dev that will carry any gained awards over to TAKP for contributing to testing and fixing on dev. But I want both platforms able to do this before any system like this is made. The rewards will be similar to what has already been handed out but we may offer more options and a player choice on when/what they pick. Details will come as things progress.

On dev, the rules are far more relaxed but with a catch.
    Exploiting is encouraged as opposed to shunned but ONLY if done in the nature of intending to make it known your results and exact steps taken for such found exploits. This is the only real issue on dev that is a bit of a plus and minus. If you join dev just to find exploits to hide and further your advancement on TAKP, the rules on TAKP will apply there and you will lose dev access permanently. Even if only warned on TAKP.

Characters can not be created here. Only copied over. Also characters are considered disposable here. Subject to random bugs that render them unusable.
    All progress a character makes on dev is not transferable to TAKP (With the exception of bug point rewards). All progress on TAKP can be updated to dev however. So if you get that "amazing" drop you been lookin for and want it on dev, all we have to do is reissue a copy on TAKP. Which will overwrite your existing dev character. All copies are character specific. One copy will not effect another character.

Once you get your character copied, your eqhost.txt only needs a minor change and you are good to go. Change both URLs to .org instead of .net
    If you are not copied or declined entry, changing your host will do nothing but a fail to connect.

Dev is up 24/7 but subject to random restarts for updates without warning as well as potential buggy code that will crash you or the server without warning.

More news as it comes in as always.

2. Tollen

Tollen Member

Awesome rews!

We're do we apply?

3. Reiker

Reiker New Member

I can help, as long as there's some direction like, "hey we're tweaking soandso go see how it works."

4. Speedz

As this progresses and we grow into this new way of testing code. We will try to keep information on what to test in the motd and updated.

5. Luddwig

Luddwig Active Member

Has anyone else had success loading onto Dev server from a Mac and mind providing instructions for me on how to get it running? It sounds like I need to delete my eqclient.ini file and change my eqhost.txt file? I tried to modify my eqhost.txt file, but even after changing permissions to read/write, it won't allow me to save changes - any idea what I'm missing here? Thanks!

6. robregen

robregen Administrator Staff Member

I have had success in Mac with changing from takp to Dev. only thing I change is the net to org in eqhost.txt file.

7. Speedz

Yes only need to change the eqhost.
    One of the patches broke testcopy after the 16th. But now it is fixed as well.

8. Luddwig

Luddwig Active Member

Great, thank you! I got the Dev server working perfectly now on my mac by just modifying eqhost file. My issue was that I needed to change permissions on my "Resources" folder that contained the eqhost file, as changing permissions on eqhost file wasn't sufficient.

9. Kudadil

Kudadil New Member

Working on Mac just by changing .net to .org. Do we need to apply somewhere to get a character port?

10. Elroz

Elroz I Feel Loved Staff Member

try getting in contact with the devs up in the chat tab at top of this site. They usually get back to me within like 15 min of saying something

11. Elrontaur

Elrontaur People Like Me

We can certainly use more testers on Dev, I don't think Elroz and I can test everything in the Kunark zones recently added.

12. Sketchy

Sketchy People Like Me

I am not on dev yet, just getting copied over. What sort of challenges have people had testing over there? Like what sort of things are getting in the way of testing content? I imagine low population, time investment, and challenge of the content?

13. Elroz

Elroz I Feel Loved Staff Member

the zones that are in right now are all low/mid tier, I've just started doing whichever quests I can find in those zones. Really everything so far has looked really good, no major bugs or anything. Kaesora is probably the toughest zone unlocked, I camped xalgoz and did the HS key without any issues.

14. pouky

pouky Active Member

mm i ll send a tell to u guys ingame to see how i can get onto it lol .. )