Any love for the powerpc macs?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tudo Bem, Apr 3, 2016.

1. solar

solar Administrator Staff Member

Thanks also to Speedz, Secrets, Haynar, Harakiri and the rest of the guys for being discussion partners and helping me work through the issues. It looks like we'll be able to use the unmodified PPC client, with only editing login server name in game/eqhost.txt and then running it through the launcher app. The PPC client can also be used on an intel mac or hackintosh running up to 10.6 Snow Leopard, since it comes with translate (rosetta). The launcher works either way.

2. Speedz

Speedz Administrator Staff Member

3. Torrinn

Torrinn Active Member

On what date did they start support for Intel Macs? They may not have supported versions of OS X that came before that date.

4. Torrinn

Torrinn Active Member

I had a 16mb Rage 128 card for Mac, and it couldn't display textures, either. I had to get a Mac flashed Radeon 9700. I'm guessing you needed at least 32mb VRAM back then.

The oldest card that I think used on PC, was a GeForce 4MX, but that had 64mb. When Luclin dropped, with the DX 8.1 requirement, (after months of them saying that 8.0 would be the requirement) it stopped me from playing for a while because not only did I need a newer video card, I also needed a newer copy of Windows, because I was still on Win 95, then, and 8.0a is the last supported version of DX that you can run under 95, and they simultaneously dropped support in the client for Win 95, so it wouldn't run in any case. The newest cards to support DX 8, were the Radeon 8500 and GeForce 3, and the GeForce 3 only supported DX 8.0, not 8.1. The Radeon did support 8.1, fully. I could still play in older zones with the GeForce MX, under Win 98, but Luclin was a no go. It was too slow and there was a lot that wasn't being displayed correctly, if at all. They were using DX 8 too heavily for my DX 7 card to keep up. I still pat myself on the back, to this day, for buying a Radeon 9500 when they came out, because they updated EQ again to require DX 9 just a few years after the 8.1 update.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2023
  5. Torrinn

Torrinn Active Member

There was a beta version of 10.6 Snow Leopard that ran on PowerPC. I think most PPC users probably know where to find it.