8-5-2020

Discussion in 'Changelog' started by robregen, Aug 5, 2020.

1. robregen

robregen Administrator Staff Member

Code:
    Torven

* Increased the triple attack rate. This affects both players and NPCs.
    * Warrior AA Flurry text is now yellow.
    Haynar
    * Added attack animations to server filters. This will help reduce data traffic, but you will no longer see others swinging weapons if you have seeing hits and misses turned off.
    * Clients will freeze again when charmed.
    * Added a fix to help with ghosting of mobs while having packet loss.

Database:
    Torven

* Warrior AA Flurry chance increased.
    * firiona: an ancient Jarsath now has placeholders and respawn time reduced to that of a common NPC in the zone.
    * firiona: The aggro radii of some NPCs have been adjusted.
    * griegsend: Prast Ianitor should hopefully no longer end up in an unspawnable state.

Tesadar, Mechaike, Foxboxx and 3 others like this.
  2. Ablazze

Ablazze Member

I really really dont like this change to animations. I dont have others hits on toe save battle spam. but not having them on makes the game now look like its froze..

Tesadar, Tuen, Devour_Souls and 4 others like this.
  3. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

would be cool if it was just pets

4. Cadsuane

Cadsuane People Like Me

Is there a server issue that makes this necessary or beneficial?

5. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

It cuts down on raid lag a lot I'm assuming. Haynar mentioned a lot of data is sent to clients in swing actions and animations.

6. Rrasputin

Rrasputin New Member

I'd like to at least be able to see my pet attacking, i don't need to see his hits

7. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

Just turn on other hits, filter them to another chat window, minimize said chat window.

This should help those who want to see the swinging.

8. Walex

Walex I Feel Loved

It's a good idea in principle but it doesn't work for everyone. For example, 3 boxing on raids would lead to a ton of battle spam and HD access with logs running. Even with modern PCs I imagine some people would notice performance dips.

Barnd0g and Ablazze like this.
  9. Placer

Placer Well-Known Member

The pet change is abhorrent. Seriously. it is not only in AKurate, I doubt it was done on any other server anywhere. It increases lag for everyone who needs to see if there pet is attacking. Setting up another window (which messes with screen space especially for those on say a laptop) still has all that extra stuff being sent through. Far more packets I suspect and an impact on lag. Without it on, without the animation there is no way to know if your pet is in hold or attacking. Anyone who mains a beast needs to be constantly using that option when pulling, etc...

If there is a solution that avoids the spam/lag this now punishes everyone with and allows for the animation then by all means give that a shot. But to alter how the game is played on a fundamental level; please don't go down that rabbit hole.

10. sowislifesowislove

sowislifesowislove People Like Me

I really love this idea but I think it needs to be separate from just turning off text for hits and misses. Like other stated could create another window to send spam to but now required to do this each time I want to see other hits and when I don’t want to see. Like I said l, love this but think it needs to be its own option.

11. Auyster

Auyster People Like Me

I love this update, I can actually see flurry happen with my Warrior. Haven't done any parsing but seeing Flurries is noticeable now. For Triple Attack, I know Warriors get it but do monks as well?

12. Torven

Torven I Feel Loved

Yes, monks triple

13. Pithy

Pithy I Feel Loved

aw man, now I need to redo all my dev server warrior weapon parses!

Mechaike and Luddwig like this.
  14. sowislifesowislove

Yikes, if you just make a closed window to not get battle spam, you still hear all the hits on the mob from everyone.

15. Thunderace

Thunderace People Like Me

So to mitigate this issue in the past I've set the screen to first person view - and then look at the ground. can't see anything swinging. works great

Tesadar and solar like this.
  16. Barnd0g

Barnd0g People Like Me

Is there any other way to bring back the animations without having to add the extra battle spam window?

17. Palarran

Palarran Well-Known Member

"/serverfilter off" possibly? (No idea if there is server support for the command, but the client portion is in, at least.)

18. Cadsuane

Cadsuane People Like Me

no, you have to also do /filter otherShits
    and then hide the spam in a new terminal instance or deal with it. and then your log starts to fill up with crap faster than a biffy at a beerfest.

19. Palarran

So the /serverfilter command does *not* work here, then? (If I remember correctly, "/serverfilter on" is supposed to make the server not send data that would be filtered by /filter. "/serverfilter off" would make the server still send the data, but the client would choose not to display it.)

20. Slayzz

Slayzz People Like Me

Excuse me for my lack of computer knowledge and terminology but Is this change due to takp not having enough servers or a lack of hardware power thats causing lag on your side which is why the move was made? And if so is it something where we just need to raise some funds? I know I would be more than happy to donate as would probably a lot of peope for being allowed to play here. And if so what would it cost to upgrade so that we could maybe begin to start to raise/donate

21. showstring

showstring I Feel Loved

Haynar
    * Added attack animations to server filters. This will help reduce data traffic, but you will no longer see others swinging weapons if you have seeing hits and misses turned off.

This change has been quite an noticeable reduction in the quality of the gaming experience. Besides the game just looking very weird now with everything standing still, it has significantly reduced all the visual cues that I've gotten used to over the past 20 years of playing EQ.
    I can no longer easily tell if my pets are attacking, if other's pets are attacking.
    Can't even tell if my melee characters are attacking while I'm switched on another screen: I don't know if I forgot to press attack, or if I'm out of range of the mob, or if I'm stunned etc.
    I can't tell if the npc I'm fighting is attacking, or if it's stunned, or mezzed, or it's stopped to cast spells, or stopped to CH itself...
    On raids, can't see who is AFK and not attacking, who forgot to send their pet in to attack, can't see if the main tank is struggling with agro cause they forgot to press auto attack...
    All you see now is the occasional weird dance of the mob when it procs , or a proc lands. So npcs just stand still, then do a little jiggle or arm wave when a spell proc hits, and resume standing still. Very unusual.

Turning on all other hits is something I've never done, nor do I ever want to do. It increases the game log files significantly and introduces far too much other spam in the game, as well as give you too many other distracting audio/visual cues from other players around you.

Why was this change even made? Who needs to reduce data traffic to the point of making the game look frozen? This game was playable on dial-up 20 years ago, and filtering all other animations wasn't done back when people played on far worse PCs and internet connections.

Is there any way this can be reversed, so the game is back to normal?

Sketchy, Barnd0g and Slayzz like this.
  22. sowislifesowislove

@Haynar your still my favorite dev :p. Why you been so quiet bout this, a little taste of the love Torven has been getting lol.

Pithy likes this.
  23. Palarran

Server-side filtering was introduced 19 years ago, controlled by /serverfilter:
    http://www.tski.co.jp/baldio/patch/20010327.html
    I don't remember if this prevented animations when "others hits" was off, as I always left "others hits" on. I suppose it's possible there is a compact way of telling the client that someone attacked without sending how much they hit for, but that would appear to defeat the point of server-side filtering.

It seems to me this change should be conditional on each user's /serverfilter setting?

24. Devour_Souls

Devour_Souls People Like Me

Did server filter ever work? I can remember turning it on and would still see messages from things that were supposed to be filtered.

25. Palarran

I think it did? (I don't have anything to go on but vague memories here.) Keep in mind /serverfilter still used /filter to determine what should be filtered; /serverfilter alone wasn't supposed to change what messages you saw. It was only supposed to change how that filtering was accomplished.

It also might have been disabled at some point if you were testing it on Live more recently. Posted in 2018:
    https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/raid-lag-issue.251056/page-4#post-3708445

26. Palarran

(Oops, botched the closing quote tag. Edit is disabled here?)

27. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

It worked on live, I used it. It also didn't stop animations.

28. Slayzz

Slayzz People Like Me

Kind of also in line with Rimi too is that this move IMO cheapens the TAKP brand. It's not going to make me go elsewhere, but I do wonder how someone who comes over for the very first time might perceive the lack of animations and think the server is not up to par. We all know that's not the case, but perception is everything.

29. Amirite

Amirite Well-Known Member

i've never played with others hits off, its in the melee spam window. from the sounds of it everyone had them off. pretty weird to me.

Radda, Mokli and solar like this.
  30. Sketchy

Sketchy People Like Me

I hate to criticize someone who generally does the most right thing to benefit the server we play on. Haynar has put a ton of dev time into this project and its appreciated. The concerns expressed above are similar to the feelings I have. Having to turn others hits pollutes logs and characters just standing around is unnatural and a little creepy. I'm sure you tried your best on this, but reverting this patch would be much appreciated. Thanks Haynar.