3 boxing, mid 2012 mbp gets very hot and fans goes 20000rpms

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kazlan, Jul 28, 2015.

1. Kazlan

Kazlan New Member

Well fan goes a lot faster than usual and mbp gets hot. Im using the client I used when I played on AK and logging in via terminal script. It leaves terminal open. Setting in game pretty low. Any ideas? Using my own ui based on PO2 which I also used on AK. I ran up to 6 boxes on AK at times and mbp (the same one) did get as hot.

2. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

The same thing happens with my 2011 MBP, but my 2015 MBA runs the game much more quietly. Unfortunately I think it's just a side effect of having a dedicated GPU and having poor ventilation. I actually had to get my motherboard replaced by Apple (free) in the 2011 because it died due to overheating issues.

3. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

I thought this was caused by the software not setting a proper frame rate limit or something similar and a third party app is required. Maybe I'm thinking of it on the PC side.

4. Kazlan

Kazlan New Member

It used to run better or at least at lower temps

5. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

Well, we're all still using the same client... nothing has changed regarding the game resources.

6. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

I heard something about a new PC client when I joined here but I haven't changed mine since the Final Hobart patch broke the original and it was fixed by mule or whoever it was that fixed it.

7. Sketchy

Sketchy People Like Me

I FPS limit my 3 clients to 30, my pc labtop still gets rockin hot though. Sometimes it shuts down to save itself. Its 4years old, may be time for a new one. Also I usually have a movie and 15+ browser tabs so I expect this behaviour.

8. Tuluvien

Tuluvien I Feel Loved

I use a 2010 MacBook, NOT pro. Unibody white plastic. I use a fan control program and set it's speed high (about 80% of max) when I three box, here or on AK the laptop peaks at about 90 degrees Celsius (195 F), which is effing hot. Its never shut down and never had an issue. As I understand it MacBook are meant to run quiet and hot, instead of loud and cool. I think what you are experiencing is pretty normal. I've gone as far as to use the MacBook box as a rest on my lap for the computer, and to fill the box with bags of frozen veg to make things more bearable.

My buddy's MacBook pro 2011 aluminum unit gets just as hot but at fan speed even higher than mine.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
  9. Kazlan

Kazlan New Member

Well. Must be just me being away from boxing eq for a while and forgetting how hot it gets. It's running quite fine though hot. I'll make sure not to place it in my lap for too long - else I'll cook my privates.

10. Elrontaur

Elrontaur People Like Me

I use a stand that keeps my Laptop upright while it runs in closed clamshell mode. This helps it keep a lot cooler. I also use an external monitor because the built-in monitor is too small and contributes mass amounts of heat while running the game. Most Mac Laptops from the white plastic era forward are capable of running in closed clamshell mode.

11. Tuluvien

Tuluvien I Feel Loved

Mine doesn't run while closed without an override app, however when I use external monitor I just turn off tho display, does create less heat

12. Sturmm

Sturmm Well-Known Member

"Most Mac Laptops from the white plastic era forward are capable of running in closed clamshell mode."
    On MBPs the heat is dissipated out of the hinge area where the screen and laptop meet. I've heard of people running it in clamshell mode, only to overheat the laptop and ruin it because the heat had nowhere to go. :( I downloaded something to run it in clamshell mode, but I didn't try it

13. Elrontaur

Elrontaur People Like Me

Last edited: Aug 1, 2015
    Sturmm likes this.
  14. Speedz

Speedz Administrator Staff Member

This helps a ton on my Xserves. Which by default the fans run WAY too low even idle with no programs running.
    http://www.crystalidea.com/downloads/macsfancontrol_setup.exe

Also, you may have a dust build up between the fan output and heat sink fins. May need to opener up and clean it.
    Another little known issue is all electronics and especially computer manufacturers use low quality thermal paste.
    While you have it open remove the heat sink from the cpu and GPU, clean the old paste off completely with alcohol.
    Then repaste it with something like arctic silver or better. You'll notice a huge improvement.

Verdent likes this.
  15. Sturmm

Sturmm Well-Known Member

I've used heat sink on electronic equipment for my job, but I'm not about to open up my MBP to do it. I've had a windows laptop open once, and shyt was just begging to fall out and get lost.

But hey, I'm digging this crystalidea fan control program for MBP! Thanks for posting that

Last edited: Aug 2, 2015
  16. Verdent

Verdent People Like Me

What speedz said is dead on. Even if you dont repaste spraying all the dust out is a great idea. I bought a laptop stand/fan which helps a lot, what helps more though is the FPS limiter. Taking the battery out can help some PCs a lot, even if its a fresh good battery not being constantly recharged more often then not the location of the battery means extra insulation for your laptop.

If you are on a MB of some sort and have a cover on it consider removing the cover. They usually block your "vents".

17. Kuron

Kuron People Like Me

Instructions unclear. Repasted heat sink with Duncan Heinz chocolate frosting. Ensuing fire smelled delicious but performance issues remain same or worse.

Verdent likes this.
  18. Tesadar

Tesadar Active Member

roasted weenie, anyone?