2boxing Advice

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by NightLoch, Jun 14, 2016.

1. NightLoch

NightLoch New Member

Been thinking about giving multiboxing a shot. Having never done so before, I was wondering how the graphics load would impact the CPU's temp. Does anyone have any experience running this on a MBP (I am running a mid-2012 MBP (2.9 i7, 8gb RAM, Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB))?

Thanks! :)

2. MikayahEQ

MikayahEQ Well-Known Member

I 3-box (sometimes even 4, counting mule account) on a MBP, and I do not have any issues with overheating. My MBP is a little newer (mid-2014) and has 16 gb RAM and the Nvidia graphics card (all of which should make mine run hotter), but I wouldn't anticipate any issues with your system.

NightLoch likes this.
  3. Bum

Bum I Feel Loved

i play on a 2008 24" iMac with 6gb ram and 512mb vid card, also a 2007 17" mbp with similar specs, either one can run 4+ accounts perfect

a lappy may get hot but honestly, it would get hot surfin the webs, make sure you keep the bottom ventilated(i.e.- don't play with it covered)

4. Pithy

Pithy I Feel Loved

Your MBP should be able to two-box just fine. The OS X client seems to consume about 500 MB of RAM per instance, so no problem there. Most of the system load is processing, but your i7 is certainly up to the task! The graphics card seems to be mostly irrelevant -- I don't think the client was written to take advantage of GPUs. If your MBP gets a little hot after running EQ for a while in a warm room, you can always pick up a laptop stand for $20-50. Passive stands (no fans) increase airflow a lot just by elevating the laptop off the desk. Stands with fans increase airflow more.

Check out this thread for the basics of OS X boxing.

5. Tuluvien

Tuluvien I Feel Loved

I can 2 box on a mid 2010 MacBook, not pro. I'm sure you will be just fine. I've got that dreadful integrated chipset And only 2gb ram And everything works wells if a little warm.

MacBook is meant to run silent and hot. It will turn off before it damages itself.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
  6. NightLoch

NightLoch New Member

Thanks for the quick replies! :) I switched over to the new launcher and will set everything up later tonight.

MikayahEQ likes this.
  7. Tuluvien

Tuluvien I Feel Loved

For fluidity, because my system is aged and not meant for gaming I tend to turn off spell effects and run old models. I miss spell effects. I'm willing to bet you should not have to do so.

8. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

I 3-box on raids with a 2015 macbook air. I run old models, /showname 1/off, and spell particles are off or low opacity. My fans don't kick in until a third box is going, two run easily.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
  9. NightLoch

NightLoch New Member

Oh, one last question: Do the chars I plan to box need to be on different game accounts or can they be on the same one?

10. MikayahEQ

MikayahEQ Well-Known Member

They do need to be on different game accounts (you can have up to 10), and all the game accounts will be linked to the same forum account.

NightLoch likes this.
  11. NightLoch

NightLoch New Member

Thanks, again! :)

12. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

Keep in mind that you can manually move characters inbetween your own game accounts at any time... So you don't need to plan ahead too much.

Also keep in mind you are allowed to have one account marked as a "Trader" which will not allow characters transfers, but will also not count toward your 3-characters-online-at-once rule.

13. Mukk

Mukk People Like Me

I have a late-2011 MBP, 2.2 i7, 8GB RAM, Intel HD 3000 512MB. I have a stand with built-in fan for additional cooling, as the laptop gets hot, but it's no worse than watching youtube. I can 3-box no problem. You'll have no issues whatsoever 2-boxing.
    Back on Al'Kabor, which I would assume would be comparable, once accounts became free, I ran a group of 6 toons all the time. I ran 10 toons once, just to see if it would work, and it ran it no problem. I wouldn't do that for long mind you...

NightLoch likes this.
  14. vannari

vannari Well-Known Member

It is worth having two clients if you want to make it easier on your CPU/graphics/ram etc. Once the game is working fine for one box, just copy your entire EQ folder and make a second folder that is the same. So for me I have d:\eqmac and also d:\eqmac2. Then make a shortcut to login to the game from the first folder, and one to login from the second folder. When you login to the second folder you can lower all the graphics settings to very low, turn all the fancy stuff off, reduce the clipping range etc, make it look really crap but it also runs very smooth and uses very little RAM. Then when you play your two characters, the main character you play the most (usually a tank type), you can play from the first folder with all the graphics looking pretty. And when you tab to your second character, that one will be using low graphics. But most of your time will be spent on the first character so you get to play the game looking pretty and briefly tabbing to the second character to do a few heals or something wont matter that it looks ugly. Hope this makes sense, I am drunk.

p.s. I don't really use it now on takp for 3 characters but on another server I 19 boxed and it was essential, even with 16gb ram.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2016
    actualspaide and Oiwon like this.
  15. Bum

Bum I Feel Loved

I see your fingers aren't broken anymore Van

Or else

16. vannari

I am in full working order, mostly, missed you all! Will be back soon.

Verdent likes this.
  17. Bum

Bum I Feel Loved

You still owe me money. Don't make me break your other fingers.

Oiwon likes this.
  18. vannari

Haha don't hurt me boss! Times are hard!

Oiwon likes this.
  19. Oiwon

Oiwon People Like Me

Give it a try, you'll get the hang of it. Most important thing to remember is to be patient because it's super hard to play 2 or 3 chars to 100% of their effectiveness so just do your best and enjoy.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2016
  20. actualspaide

actualspaide People Like Me

Paying lots of pp for van to come back

21. vannari

:) Back home in a few days, hope I can remember how to play.