1hs vs 2hs DPS

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hendo, Mar 24, 2017.

1. Hendo

Hendo Member

So this may be a loaded question with a much more in depth answer than I am expecting but here it goes nonetheless.

When concerning dual wield vs. 2handed weapons, if we assume dual wield and any other skills necessary are maxed out, how do 2 one handed weapons compare to a 2 hander if the damage delay ratios are the same when added together.

For example two 1hs weapons that are each 15dmg/30 delay each vs a 2hs that is 30dmg/30 delay??

Is the DMG output the same or does the 2hs outperform with larger bonuses and the possibility of the 2nd weapon not always swinging (if that's the case even with dual wield maxed)

Thanks!!

2. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

It's kind of a fluid situation that takes several factors into account: attack speed (damage bonus application), attack stat, mob AC and player strength. There's not always a one size fits all answer for what will perform better.

If you are a fan of parsing you can log into the dev server, summon whatever items you want, teleport to the arena and beat on the dummy for a while.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
    Mambo likes this.
  3. Fadetree

Fadetree People Like Me

Generally speaking, I've found that a high end 2hander is comparable or better than a similarly-powered dual wield set. Plus the 2hand has reduced damage taken from dmg shields and usually also offers a chance to nuke without loss of melee dps. As Lenas says, though, there's a lot of variables in play and parsing is usually the only way to tell for sure.

4. Mambo

Mambo Well-Known Member

Maybe your are replying with OPs class in mind, but this is generally not true for all classes.

5. Pithy

Pithy I Feel Loved

So, there's a parse mob in the arena zone on dev you can use to get legit DPS comparisons between weapon set-ups. Failing that, Luthair's DPS calculator can give a quick-and-dirty DPS estimate. You put in your class, strength, weapons, damage bonus and weapon skills and hit calculate. The raw DPS value it produces probably isn't super accurate since it doesn't account for things like dodges and worn attack, but it's an okay comparison between weapons. AllaKabor has accurate mainhand damage bonuses. (There's no damage bonus for offhand weapons.)

6. Fadetree

Fadetree People Like Me

No, not really, although my memory is definitely from a Ranger perspective. I'm very unsure that the situation here is the same, though, especially with possible differences in offhand bonuses and slow weap 2h bonuses, etc. Just relating what a lot of folks used to think on the ranger's glade.

7. Saskoris

Saskoris Active Member

500 pages inc.

8. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

There is literally nothing to debate. Anyone can access dev and parse what options are truly superior.

9. Fadetree

Fadetree People Like Me

lol.

10. Tryfan

Tryfan People Like Me

The situation the OP posted doesn't need parsing to know the answer. Dual wield doesn't go off every time, so even ignoring literally everything else, the 30/30 two hander will outdamage the two 15/30 one handers, and it won't even be close.

11. Yinikren

Yinikren Well-Known Member

A lot of this debate is also a factor of weapon delay and mob AC. When you are dual wielding, MH damage bonus doesn't change based on delay like it does with 2H weapons and it cannot be mitigated. On p99 I parsed my ranger (with a 5/14 Revultant whip MH) doing upwards of 90% of the dps I had while using a Earthcaller MH (swiftwind offhand for both parses) because of all of the guaranteed damage off of your MH damage bonus.

I would argue that the same probably holds true with all the high AC bosses in luclin especially.

Pithy likes this.
  12. Mambo

Mambo Well-Known Member

If you reread, that is not exactly what he said. He actually asked if two 15/30 was like a 30/30, or if there was an easy way to compare.