Fork of nParse for TAKP

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Phaeton, Jun 9, 2021.

1. pivoo

pivoo People Like Me

Check your installed Python version. I remember reading Apple was very slow with Python versions. I would assume Python version +3 is needed. If your Mac has Python 2.7, download and install 3.7 or 3.8 It is easy and different Python versions can coexist together.

In case you have 2.7 on your system, do NOT delete it, since your OS is using it

2. Greyn

Greyn Member

It’s like I’m reading a foreign language. Apologies, I’m not savvy with Python and the like. I thought that was a programming language not a program lol.

I’ll see what resources I can find that would provide some direction. Probably easier than it sounds.

pivoo likes this.
  3. thucydides

thucydides I Feel Loved

my layman's understanding: it is a language. having python installed means your computer is able to run commands in that language from within its terminal. to my knowledge, it comes natively on all modern operating systems.

pivoo likes this.
  4. pivoo

pivoo People Like Me

Sorry, my apology, I just realized I was responding to wrong user! :oops:

Player @Break asked, if it is working on Macs. I though it was you, sorry for confusion. If you have Windows just use @Phaeton installer.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2021
  5. Fadetree

Fadetree People Like Me

You are correct.

6. pivoo

pivoo People Like Me

Nope, Python does not come natively with windows:

"Unlike most Unix systems and services, Windows does not include a system supported installation of Python."

https://docs.python.org/3/using/windows.html

7. thucydides

thucydides I Feel Loved

More like Walls, am i right?

pivoo likes this.
  8. pivoo

pivoo People Like Me

LOL, sounds appropriate :)

9. Fadetree

Fadetree People Like Me

Yes, pedantically speaking, it does not 'come' natively on Windows. What I meant is that it is available easily on windows. Most OS's don't 'come' with particular languages installed beyond shell scripts and the like. Even linux, which comes in a variety of forms, you usually have to add python (and even the gcc family) using the package manager.

pivoo likes this.
  10. pivoo

pivoo People Like Me

Actually "Nix" based OS (Linux, BSD...) comes with Python already preinstalled, since OS uses Python for certain tasks.

Windows on another hand, never used Python in it's OS and for that reason it was never preinstalled. But since Python is gaining on popularity, since it is so easy to learn, they recently decided at MS to make it as easy as possible to install on win10 and they put Python into their app store.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2021
  11. Fadetree

Fadetree People Like Me

If you say so. I have never seen a linux install already have python installed for user use, and I routinely use RH8 and Fedora spins. /shrug. Also didn't know that the linux kernel needed python for anything, but I guess it's possible. At any rate, python is easy to get for pretty much any OS.

*edit*
    Full info here, for those that care:
    https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/474623/does-linux-require-python

Last edited: Jul 13, 2021
    pivoo likes this.
  12. Greyn

Greyn Member

Thanks for this link. Seems I need to install Python, then I will be able to run & test this TAKP-specific nParse!

13. kai4785

kai4785 People Like Me

ooo, I like this converstaion, even if I'm coming in late. (I'll be sure to use more words than strictly necessary, in keeping with my modus operandi.)

Python is *both* a program and a language. Just like Java, Perl, Bash, C#, and a lot of other interpreted languages. (We can almost always swap out the term language for instructions when talking about a computer.)

Your CPU only speaks one language (or only has one set of instructions). While it's a very difficult language for humans to "speak", the CPU can't speak any other language. So, we speak to our CPU by translating all of our human-friendly languages like Python, C++, ect into your CPU's Language. In some cases, we pre-translate everything and call the process "compiling". In some cases, we have compiled programs that translate the language on-demand, and we call the process "interpreting". (There's also some in-between features of different languages that will compile some stuff and interpret others. Google "Just In Time" or JIT compiling for a good time.)

So if we split Python into two parts, the Python Interpretor and the Python Lanugage, we make statements like this.
    The Python Interpretor is written in C++ and then Compiled into machine language. (python.exe or /usr/bin/python)
    Then we write code in the Python Language (nparse.py), which the Python Interpretor converts to machine code on-demand.

Fun fact. We don't ever really hand-write machine code anymore (assembly is not machine code! it's just another language!). The very first computers had to be fed hand-written machine code, and we used punch cards to do it. Today, we use our existing compilers to compile new compilers! Or in other words, an older version of MicroSoft's Visual C++ (MSVC) compiler compiles the newer version! It's a process we call bootstrapping.

Phaeton and Sketchy like this.
  14. Phaeton

Phaeton Active Member

If you're a Windows user, I pre-built a ready to go folder in the releases:
    https://github.com/hitechhippie/nparse-takp/releases/tag/v0.6.0-takp

You don't even need python for that, just download, unpack and run.

Kabouter likes this.
  15. Greyn

Greyn Member

Phaeton likes this.
  16. Fadetree

Fadetree People Like Me

When I started my development career, it was still quite usual to hand-key in machine language instructions using a large set of 16 (or 24, or 36) switches right on the cpu chassis of the machine. Flip the switches on or off to make the correct binary representation, hit the big ENTER button, and the machine would copy the instruction into memory and advance the program counter to the next position. AND WE LIKED IT! Cards and paper tape was a big improvement, except when you dropped a huge tray of cards and they went all over, producing what we called a 'floor sort'.

I still program Atari 8 bits in 6502 assembler, which as was mentioned is not quite raw 'machine language' but it's pretty close.

kai4785, Neealana and Phaeton like this.
  17. Phaeton

Phaeton Active Member

In my opinion, learning at least the concepts of machine language and assembly are critical to anyone writing code these days.. at least code meant to be portable and supported across different platforms. There's some great ANSI C tutorials out there that have you compile the assembly and then compare assembly output to your original C functions to see how the compiler breaks things down, passes function values, etc.

Palarran, Fadetree and kai4785 like this.
  18. kai4785

kai4785 People Like Me

I love it! Sometimes I wish I was older so I had these better stories to tell. My oldest "get off my source code" starts with Fedora Core 2, an SNES emulator, and how to properly celebrate success with out having to need stitches afterwards.

19. Kabouter

Kabouter Member

Just tested it and works really well!
    Is the only way to load it for multiple accounts by launching multiple sessions or is there a way to load more than 1 log like with GINA?

Phaeton likes this.
  20. Phaeton

Phaeton Active Member

Right now the only way is to run multiple sessions, but that may be something to be improved in the future. Thanks for the feedback

Kabouter likes this.
  21. nokio

nokio Active Member

Hello, I have been loving this tool a lot!! Thanks for this.

Question : Is it possible that some spell don't "work"?
    For instance. Harmony of Nature to name one. When I cast it on a mob I don't get a timer on how long remains.

22. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

Some spells have no text indicating they've landed. You could search for the text of you beginning to cast the spell but you wouldn't get a timer with NPC name and you would get a timer even if interrupted.

Phaeton likes this.
  23. nokio

nokio Active Member

Ho noted, Make sense I never realized that there was no text for that one vs pacify for instance.
    Thank you for the information!

24. Kabouter

Kabouter Member

One other question is it possible to somehow let the spells window overlay on top of the EQ window when running in windowed mode? Right now it hides behind the game window so I have to run them next to it. With GINA it does overlay on top of the EQ window

25. pivoo

pivoo People Like Me

Right click on it -> always on top? (that is on Linux, but Windows should be similar)

Last edited: Aug 20, 2021
  26. Kabouter

Kabouter Member

I don't think that option is available in Windows 10 sadly :(. At least not that I can find

27. pivoo

pivoo People Like Me

Go to the nParse window that shows spell duration. Got to the top of it, and right click on it. You should see several options, like minimize, maximize, move... Look for menu entry similar to "always on top"

I had windows 10 years ago, I know this is part of OS, I could then set some windows to stay on top. I can't believe it is not possible now. Give it a try

28. Kabouter

Kabouter Member

I think they must have taken it out :). I'm a mac user, only running windows through parallels, but if any windows users have an option I'd love to hear it.

Attached Files:

29. pivoo

pivoo People Like Me

OMG, you are correct!

"It boggles the mind that a simple feature like the Always on Top for windows is still not part of the core Mac OS system. After all, in a way, the Mac OS is the premium version of the open-source Linux platform."

There are hacky ways around it. I found several articles, how to do it. There are also videos. Here are few random how-to links:

https://www.maketecheasier.com/mac-keeping-your-application-window-always-on-top/

https://techviral.net/keep-application-window-always-on-top-in-mac/

https://www.alphr.com/always-on-top-mac/

https://apple.stackexchange.com/que...ays-to-keep-a-window-always-on-top-on-the-mac

Videos:
    https://duckduckgo.com/?q=how+to+keep+windows+always+on+top+in+mac+osx&t=ffab&iax=videos&ia=videos

30. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

To get this all working I had to use python3 commands on my MacOS install (10.14.6 Mojave). OS has Python 2 built in which did not support the two packages required.

Examples:
    Code:
    [ Only registered users can see the bbcode. Click Here To Register... ]

Last edited: Aug 21, 2021
    Phaeton likes this.