Thank-you to the devs

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cadsuane, Jul 24, 2018.

1. Cadsuane

Cadsuane People Like Me

As the release draws close for what was probably the hardest expansion to create, I thought it would be a good time to give a huge Thank You to the devs for their effort.

Also, I thought I had seen somewhere that our devs have some kind of 'donation as a thank-you' or beer-it-forward link (other than the 'support the server' donation)?

Tesadar, Swish, Quirk and 10 others like this.
  2. pharmakos

pharmakos People Like Me

Yes, thanks to you all! I never thought I'd find an emu that felt like home in the way this one does. You guys have certainly brightened a lot of lives through all your hard work.

Anta, Faults, Ransom and 3 others like this.
  3. Bum

Bum I Feel Loved

#summer2019PoP!

Tesadar and sowislifesowislove like this.
  4. badpoet

badpoet Member

This is really great. Appreciate the effort all the Devs put in. Also appreciate the great community!

5. Radda

Radda People Like Me

you do more for us then you know.

6. Rabitz

Rabitz Member

/thank

7. Baler

Baler Well-Known Member

Thank you to all the staff!
    I'm having a great time exploring Luclin content.
    :)

8. Dairmuid

Dairmuid Active Member

I can't thank you guys enough for all the hard work! How do we buy you beer for all your hard work?!

9. tomgggg

tomgggg Member

Thank you devs! Bringing back the magic of Everquest one expansion at a time.

10. Morbo

Morbo Well-Known Member

We choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, and because those freaky 4-armed guys need to die! - JFK

I'm paraphrasing.

Tibiseus, Manstache and pharmakos like this.
  11. tenpin

tenpin New Member

Devs, we love you to the moon and back. Thank you for your hard work. It is much appreciated!

12. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

Alright that's enough thanks, lets get back to complaining

Ripwind and showstring like this.
  13. pharmakos

pharmakos People Like Me

14. Bum

Bum I Feel Loved

15. Tibiseus

Tibiseus New Member

Thank you all who helped make this happen. The Devs, The players, God, Aunt Jeannie, Ghandi...literally the list goes on...and on..

Booya
    NAG Alliance

Tesadar likes this.
  16. thomasd

thomasd New Member

Thank you so much for your hard work!
    From the great website and account management tools to the sweet server itself.
    It is an honor to play here.

17. Quirk

Quirk Well-Known Member

Indeed, a serious thank you to the devs and countless TAKPers that tested things for us all. I am really enjoying Luclin and it wouldn't have been possible without the hard work you all put in. Thanks!

18. Swish

Swish Member

My first real session tonight and loved it, thank you firstly to the devs for making it happen and to the community who has been friendly answering countless questions I've been asking <3

19. Tryfan

Tryfan People Like Me

Will PoP be easier or harder?

The zones seem simpler, but the raid scripts much harder.

20. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

I think the devs expect much of POP to be easier than Luclin was.

21. Torven

Torven I Feel Loved

Raid scripts are always rather simple, except the war events. I coded up and tested Ring of Vulak in 3 days. EQEmu's scripting capability is actually rather nice. (but full of bugs/quirks)

The hard part is the research. Finding out what all the details should be is harder than implementing them. Luclin was particularly difficult because of the zone revamps. PoP zones weren't revamped. There are some details changed, but it's nowhere near the revamps of Grimling Forest, Acrylia Caverns etc. Vulak's ring I had not actually seen before, so it took a few weeks to research before I wrote any code. Ravenwing's writeup was enormously helpful for that. For PoP, I can record the events (I already did) and know precisely what needs to be implemented without much digging.

On top of that my research tools are more advanced now, which speeds up the process. A little while ago I write a script that parses every log I have (about 10 gigs) and searches for NPC hits then produces a massive spreadsheet of all NPCs in all logs for all zones with min/max hits. Sure beats using grep for each mob.

More logs makes it much easier to research, of course. I've gotten quite a bit more logs in the last two years.

Also I've made some additions to the editor over the years to improve it. The multi-edit tool is a MASSIVE time-saver as I can select many NPCs in a zone, select a statistic to edit, then change the value for that statistic for many NPCs all in one form.

Sketchy, showstring, Tryfan and 3 others like this.