9-22-2022 (testing for client stability)

Discussion in 'Changelog' started by robregen, Sep 22, 2022.

1. robregen

robregen Administrator Staff Member

Haynar
    * Made changes to help with LDs

other that went in:
    Database:
    Robregen
    * Timeless Breastplate (Ranger, Shadownight, and Cleric) should have the correct color.
    * removed charges from Troubadour's Mace
    * fixed Slarghilug Kelp String stack issue.

DubRemix88, pivoo, Linkamus and 3 others like this.
  2. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

I found a few potential contributors to LD/bugged groups. The improvements may be minimal. But they won’t be worse. I still think there is another issue to find still.

The current pattern in long raids is to crash the 2nd time you zone. So you die, then crash on rez. Or you evac. You crash next zone.

If in a raid, and you crash on rez, it bugs the group.

Thats what we want to look for. Any pattern changes.

Radda, lurari, pivoo and 10 others like this.
  3. Elroz

Elroz I Feel Loved Staff Member

other minor changes : finished dialogues in wakening lands, plane of growth, and cobalt scar (othmirs)

4. showstring

showstring I Feel Loved

Thank you for your efforts in trying to resolve the crippling crashing issues and save the server raiding scene.

5. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

It might take something as extensive as running wireshark, to see what is going on with packets when the crashes happen. I am not currently set up to take this type of data. I will see about getting something together.

Mechaike likes this.
  6. showstring

showstring I Feel Loved

I am willing to help with any kind of troubleshooting.
    I can run Wireshark / Microsoft Network Monitor. I can also run a Debugging client if required. I can help with testing on the Dev server.
    Anything at all that might help.

Cadsuane and sowislifesowislove like this.
  7. shorttin

shorttin Member

the cleric bp should have stayed white!

8. snorks

snorks Well-Known Member

After downloading a fresh takp.zip some two weeks ago, all my client bugs have gone away except for one; I often crash when logging in (after char select, before world load). I have none of these other crashes that you guys are having. If needed I also volunteer to provide dumps of network traffic, geographically from Norway.

9. DubRemix88

DubRemix88 People Like Me

Does your eqclient default (character select screen) match the UI you are playing with?

[​IMG]

Smudge likes this.
  10. snorks

snorks Well-Known Member

It doesn't match it. Mine is set to Default. I remember Marvn telling me about this some years ago, but I think nothing changed for me (crash wise) when changing it to be the same as my UI. I thusly did not change it when modifying my eqclient.ini those 'some two weeks ago', even though I saw it. Has it worked for you? I will give it another try for sure.

11. DubRemix88

DubRemix88 People Like Me

Yeah, I used to crash on entering world all the time (on PC), now I only get very rare random crashes and frequent crash on rez during raids.

snorks likes this.
  12. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

If you get a crash with a popup with a memory error, or when you close the client you get a popup message, check your install folder for an extra ddraw.dll. Delete this file. Its not needed. Sometimes it comes with dgvoodoo2, but our client doesn't make proper use of this file.

For anyone who crashes on rez, please provide additional information, such as what version of eqgame.exe you are running. Date/Time stamps for that file. What version of eqgame.dll you have, like old 3.5.3, or the new ones solar has put out. And if running dgvoodoo2, which version you are using.

Do you run freethemouse version, or running eqw.exe, with mouse cursor locked to the window?

If you install dgvoodoo2, you only need the x86 d3d8.dll. You do not need any other dll's.

Also, if you crash on rez, do a directory listing of all the dll's in your install folder, with the date/time stamps of the files. That way we can look at which dll's you have, and if there are extra or missing files.

Cadsuane, Quellious, snorks and 2 others like this.
  13. Savok

Savok Active Member

I have run 3.5.3 with no issues for a long time. I didn't even know Solar put newer ones out.

14. snorks

snorks Well-Known Member

It looks extremely promising. I've logged on 5 chars since the change, not a single crash!!

DubRemix88 likes this.
  15. Gildior

Gildior Active Member

we had probably 30+ characters crash on rez last night in poeb

16. Civenge

Civenge Member

Anyone else noticing a message about looting "unknown" sometimes?

Also noticing some mobs in Skyfire run around at full speed when non-agro'd. I'm not sure why only a few do it. It was when I was the only person in the zone.

17. Elroz

Elroz I Feel Loved Staff Member

Just got crash after raid (window closed after zoning 2nd time), Going to go through these individually -

If you get a crash with a popup with a memory error, or when you close the client you get a popup message, check your install folder for an extra ddraw.dll. Delete this file. Its not needed. Sometimes it comes with dgvoodoo2, but our client doesn't make proper use of this file.
    -- I usually get the popup, but this particular crash, I didn't. I didn't have a ddraw.dll file in my folder.

For anyone who crashes on rez, please provide additional information, such as what version of eqgame.exe you are running. Date/Time stamps for that file. What version of eqgame.dll you have, like old 3.5.3, or the new ones solar has put out. And if running dgvoodoo2, which version you are using.
    -- I think it's 3.5.3, time stamps are : Created - ‎Saturday, ‎October ‎28, ‎2017, ‏‎8:57:50 PM , Modified - ‎Tuesday, ‎July ‎27, ‎2021, ‏‎4:10:16 PM

Do you run freethemouse version, or running eqw.exe, with mouse cursor locked to the window?
    -- Pretty sure I'm using the FTM version, I play full screen all the time though. I don't use eqw.exe.

If you install dgvoodoo2, you only need the x86 d3d8.dll. You do not need any other dll's.
    -- I don't think I have dgvoodoo2

Also, if you crash on rez, do a directory listing of all the dll's in your install folder, with the date/time stamps of the files. That way we can look at which dll's you have, and if there are extra or missing files.
    -- I will send you this on discord, easier!

dbg.txt from the crash :

showstring and John Stark like this.
  18. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

This is my current test version of eqgame.dll for ftm. It is not for locked to window mouse mode.

It has all the fixes to date I think now. Including additional fixes for weird ghost mouse clicks, when windows regain focus. So no more accidentally un-memorizing spells, or changing targets, just bu switching window focus.

Try it out, see if it helps. Its not perfect, but this is my best so far.

When you unzip it, likely will set off virus software. I need to try and rearrange stuff again, to get that to stop tripping. So annoying.

(pulled it down. trying some different compile options.)

H

Last edited: Oct 6, 2022
    Palarran, Foxboxx, showstring and 2 others like this.
  19. showstring

showstring I Feel Loved

I want to highlight how incredibly awesome this latest eqgame.dll fix is. I've been testing it, and the fix for ghost inputs (key and mouse presses) is the biggest QoL change I've experienced in years. Thank you.

I would highly recommend you to give it a try.

20. showstring

showstring I Feel Loved

edit: this v3.6.3 build is very new, I haven't tested it much
    just had a crash to desktop

going back to earlier v3.6.0 build which was stable for a few days, will keep testing and reporting back

21. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

Not sure why some versions are stable, others aren't. The 3.6.0 build seems most stable at this point. It does not have the level of detail fix or the /loadskin fix. Every time I put those back in it gets worse.

I will put the 3.6.0 build up later. It has had least amount of issues with crashes. These are new crashes, that happen just switching clients.

Mokli, robregen and Cadsuane like this.
  22. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

I changed compiling options back to like they were for 3.6.0. I removed the /loadskin fix, and altered the level of detail fix slightly so it will trip virus software less (not guaranteed). Sometimes if you do things certain ways, it trips heuristic pattern recognition. So change it slightly, can get it to not always have virus scanners delete the damn files.

Here is a new version to test for free mouse options.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qzb86juu8k87mfs/eqgame_dll v3.6.4 for ftm.zip?dl=0

A slightly older version that has been stable so far. It includes the ghost mouse click fixes. It does not have the level of detail fixes or the loadskin fixes. So it is just behind where the 3.6.4 is. This one may work better for some people, so putting it up here too.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pkzs5w3knbwz233/eqgame_dll v3.6.0 for ftm.zip?dl=0

Last edited: Oct 6, 2022
    DubRemix88, Elroz, Aithne and 3 others like this.
  23. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

I suspect a contribution for CTD during zoning, is bugged raids. So I am working on fixing raids getting bugged.

If you know of ways to reproduce bugging raids, let me know.

H

showstring, Elroz and Cadsuane like this.
  24. showstring

showstring I Feel Loved

Here you go, here's a video.

Steps to reproduce:
    1. Have some chars in a group in a raid
    2. One char dies
    3. Force close client immediately on death (alt + f4)
    4. The dead char drops the raid, but not the group window.
    5. Result = bugged group

Smudge, DubRemix88 and Cadsuane like this.
  25. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

Fixed, pending update.

Thanks

Aithne, Walex, aveo99 and 7 others like this.
  26. Braven

Braven Well-Known Member

There are some ranger mobs in Skyfire that cast SoW on other mobs.