Good Camps for Long AFKs

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Break, Nov 12, 2021.

1. Break

Break People Like Me

I have started studying for a professional exam, so my EQ time will be limited for several months. I would like to make the best use of my limited EQ time, and I believe that will entail finding mobs that fit the following criteria:
    • Spawn time is preferably 30ish minutes
    • Named/PH is stationary with few or no adds
    • Drops highly valued loot
    • Safe camp spot where it is easy to safely afk for the entire spawn time
    • I'm able to trio it (I use my mage and bard that are in my signature along with a friend's 60 druid)
    • People generally hate the camp because of the bad exp/camp times
    The first mob that I have identified that fits most of those criteria is Fellspine. I have managed to camp multiple belts, but they aren't selling as quickly as I expected. I think it is time I move to another camp, so I can maximize profits or upgrade item slots. Can anyone hit me with some suggestions that fit these criteria?

Thanks!

2. Indi

Indi Well-Known Member

OOT Ancient Cyclops? Not sure if there is a market for Jboots MQs here though.

Break likes this.
  3. Elroz

Elroz I Feel Loved Staff Member

crypt in sebilis was good for me to half-afk camp, there was a safe spot in one of the cubbies between crypt and chottal somewhere.

one bad thing is people constantly do camp checks, they're usually looking for bugs or king or juggs, but every now and then someone will be looking for crypt

Last edited: Nov 12, 2021
    John Stark and Break like this.
  4. Break

Break People Like Me

The thought crossed my mind, but the MQ seems a bit of a pain. I'm also not sure if you can even sell them for that much.

Crypt could be a good one. Were you camping Emp, the four iksar skellies, or all of them? Are the spells that Emp drops going to be worth anything when PoP is released?

5. Elroz

Elroz I Feel Loved Staff Member

I was doing all of them, but i didn't have a rogue so it took some weird pet pulling to get emp ph. You can get blood of chottal ph pretty easily though. The main draws for me were breath of harmony from blood, hiero cloak from prime hierophant, and chance at ODS / RBG from the krup/dar ghoul frogloks. There is other halfway decent stuff, deepwater helms are common from the crypt caretaker (or whatever the phoboplasm's name is), they vendor for 230ish plat. After i spent some time down there, was when I made a bug report on some missing drops. They are implemented now so there's a chance at Granite Face Grinder now, which is a pretty decent twinking 2hb.

I'm not sure which high end kunark spells stay relevant, maybe Banishment and Banishment of Shadows?

6. Pithy

Pithy I Feel Loved

It doesn't quite check all your boxes, but Veeshan's Peak keys are MQ'able and some completionists would probably buy them for their alt armies. VP keys involve three long, boring camps, two of which (pained soul and rotting skeleton) are super AFK-friendly. The third, Verix in Karnor's Castle, involves a room full of mobs rather than just one isolated spawn. But it's pretty easy to pac the room and pull the PH. There's a safe spot right near the camp.

John Stark and Break like this.
  7. Pithy

Pithy I Feel Loved

With bard/mage/druid, you also have a pretty good setup for the caller cycle in Fungus Grove. You could start all three cycles, aggro the callers on the bard, then just stand around AFK forever singing invis and keeping the callers aggro. Fungus mobs would keep spawning and despawning forever. You could just pop in periodically, check track, and kill named if they happen to be up. The druid + mage could pull out the named. (Have the druid sic its pet on the named, run away, snare the named, and get CoH; then wait for the pack to go home and kill the named single.)

You could camp a Tiny Cloak of Darkest Night (1.5 sec invis clicky), an essential item for your bard if you don't already have one. Named there also drop fungis that cats and BLs can use, which are rare and pretty cool, and 10-shot snare clickies that warriors use on raids. Also some other stuff that probably doesn't sell well.

Break likes this.
  8. Break

Break People Like Me

I love this idea for a number of reasons. I don't have that cloak, I like the cool gear that drops there, and I have never completed the caller cycle. This gets bonus points for new (to me) content. I failed once on live when it was still a guild raid.

Pithy likes this.
  9. Pithy

Pithy I Feel Loved

Yeah, the cloak is super handy and never gets replaced. The FG fungi is also probably BiS outside of raid gear for your cat bard.

10. Mechaike

Mechaike Well-Known Member

Take a look in Chardok- there are a number of named with 20-30min ish cycles. It will take some effort (pac, coh split, etc) but that should fit what you're after.

Cadsuane and Break like this.
  11. Break

Break People Like Me

So, an update on this. It is a pretty decent camp that fits my criteria. I have acquired a cloak and even made a little bit of plat.

I am, however, getting pretty annoyed by the difficulty of pulling these mobs. I die on probably 30% of the pulls because these mobs are really finicky. Many of them corpse camp, but they will randomly come back (possibly when the caller calls again). Wake of Tranquility doesn't work because they are all exactly on top of each other. They also seem to be impossible to single using pet pull (doesn't that work here?). I keep lowering the pet level, but the entire pack will jump on a pet as low as level 20.

My best move so far is to hit them with a burst of flame, run away, ensnare the named, and train them away before CotH. I've read on Allakhazam that they should be KoS to the Tarmoks, but they all just ignore each other when I try to train them away. It would be really helpful if I could get the train killed to ensure it doesn't return.

I've thought of other methods. I think they are low enough level to easily perma-stun. I have access to a 60 chanter. Unfortunately, I think they have too much HP for my mage to kill them with his wimpy AE. I've also tried swarm kiting, but I the area is a bit too small for my skill level. It's also a lot of work for a camp that is supposed to be a quick diversion during long periods of down time.

Any suggestions on single-pulling?

Pithy likes this.
  12. thucydides

thucydides I Feel Loved

Could you train them off with your bard, highsun the named, coth the bard, pull the named to somewhere you won’t get caught by the returning train?

13. Break

Break People Like Me

Moving the bard too far from the callers will result in the death of the callers, so I try not to move the bard very far from the center. I occasionally use him to lull or charm one of the chaktas when the split ends up with an add.

I'm getting better at the burst of flame / snare / coth / burst of flame method. I think I really just needed to practice more. There are still occasionally wandering adds that run back mid fight, but they are less of an issue if I pull shortly after a call and use the slowest callers. I'm afk most of the time anyway, so kegs aren't worth it.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2021
  14. Pithy

Pithy I Feel Loved

I'd ensnare named on dru, run away, get CoH. If you can't get into LoS for ensnare without aggroing the pile, I'd suggest siccing the druid's bear pet on the named from max range and ensnaring as soon as the named enters LoS. Then CoH and repeat as needed until the named is single.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2021
    Break likes this.
  15. Pithy

Pithy I Feel Loved

Re: bard positioning and keeping the callers aggro, I'd tuck the bard on top of or behind the big boulder in the caller room near the tunnel mouth, ungrouped, rolling invis song. Nothing should aggro the bard and the callers should stay engaged forever.

Break likes this.
  16. Break

Break People Like Me

I prefer to keep him near the middle caller. That way I can hear when he is going on a break. He's pretty much in sync with the other two, so that helps from getting blindsided by a pop while pulling.

As far as the pull itself goes, I think pulling with burst of flame works better because the named don't tend to move far after a snare. What I do is run straight to the middle of the room after initial aggro and then snare. That gets them out in the open and generally away from other mobs that may have stopped to cast or popped from a new cycle. LoS is troublesome, but it isn't bad enough to get me prox aggro.

Pithy likes this.
  17. Pithy

Pithy I Feel Loved

Makes sense. Grats on the cloak, btw! So handy.