Universal Chat Server Lost message

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Haynar, Oct 20, 2016.

1. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

I need the message that was sent to clients when the connection to the chat server was lost. And when it was restored.

Looking for AK messages. And what color message was.

Current eqlive is red message. On AK it might have been white. Not sure.

From logs would be best if we caught that.

Thanks

H

2. Elroz

Elroz I Feel Loved Staff Member

I vaguely remember it being "Universal Chat Service is temporarily unavailable" when it went down, if someone wants to search for that in logs.

When it came back up It may have been "Chat service available", followed by "Autojoining channels...." and joined them right when it came up

those are my memory of the messages from live servers, could be different for AK

Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
    Mokli and Mambo like this.
  3. Elroz

sounds like it may have been different back in 2001-2003 though, just found a post that kind of sounds different : http://thedruidsgrove.org/archive/eq/t-29.html

quote :

I repeatedly lose chat channels, and it's getting old FAST.

I lose them usually within minutes of logging on or joining a channel. When I check, I get a message that I've "temporarily lost channels" and may regain them if I zone. And indeed, sometimes I DO regain them for a few minutes after zoning. But I always lose them again very quickly.

4. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

From eqlive, i remember from around time chat channels were added, a message about needing to zone to rejoin.

5. robregen

robregen Administrator Staff Member

yeah I have been looking in logs and couldn't find anything of it.

6. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

[Mon May 02 18:26:51 2005] The Universal Chat service is temporarily unavailable. You will be notified when it is restored.
    [Fri May 13 12:22:40 2005] The Universal Chat service is available.

From PC side. I couldn't find anything in my logs before that. I didn't turn logging on until sometime in 2004.

7. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

Also this:
    [Sun May 22 02:10:32 2005] Please wait until we reconnect you with the Universal Chat service. Your request has not been sent.

8. Tuluvien

Tuluvien I Feel Loved

I don't recall a message sounding like that on AK. Particularly the words "Universal Chat Service"

9. Elroz

quote from next post in that thread i linked from 9-21-2003 :

One is lag... especially lag while zoning or logging in, can cause you to lose connection to the chat server and never regain it unless you zone again. (At least they have the message now.)

makes it sound like the message had only been recently added in 2003.

10. Ravenwing

Ravenwing I Feel Loved

Yeah, disconnecting - generally after being /mc i, otherwise channels seemed pretty stable - was a silent affair.

I don't think I ever lost channels and then got them back again without relogging.

The only channel messages I remember getting unsolicited were the login spam:

[Sun Nov 17 21:52:27 2013] Welcome to EverQuest!
    [Sun Nov 17 21:52:27 2013] You have entered Plane of Air.
    [Sun Nov 17 21:52:27 2013] Autojoining channels...
    [Sun Nov 17 21:52:27 2013] Only players in the same namespace can join this channel.
    [Sun Nov 17 21:52:27 2013] Only players in the same namespace can join this channel.
    [Sun Nov 17 21:52:27 2013] Channels: 1=temofficers(2), 2=temerity(18), 3=temchanter(2), 4=temcc(5), 5=temdebuff(4), 6=temheals(11), 7=temraidcur(2), 8=alliance(83)

[Fri Mar 9 18:42:25 2007] Welcome to EverQuest!
    [Fri Mar 9 18:42:25 2007] You have entered Plane of Knowledge.
    [Fri Mar 9 18:42:26 2007] Autojoining channels...
    [Fri Mar 9 18:42:28 2007] You are not on any channels

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
  11. robregen

I gathered that the "namepace" are the private channels.

12. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

It sounds like messages were added in 2003.

For now, there will be some messages when you get disconnected from chat server. Then we can rule it for authentic AK as needed. But I want to see connections come and go for a bit.

H

13. Dane

Dane People Like Me

I'm unable to join channels at the moment. I don't get any message when i try to join alliance. Nothing happens at all. When i type just /join, it gives me the usage message. But nothing when i actually try to join a channel. Anyone else having issues with joining the UCS or is it just me? And if just me, any suggestions on what could be wrong?

14. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

Silly question. What does /mc i actually do?

H

15. robregen

/mc i is to switch to desktop on a mac when you are in game.

16. Ravenwing

Ravenwing I Feel Loved

Yes, it freezes the client somehow, bringing up an OSX error message ("mciSendStringA not implemented") that keeps the client from doing anything until you click "okay" and wake it back up - for example, if you go /mc i while /afk, and someone sends you a tell, you won't send them your AFK message immediately, but *will* send it later, when you return.

Going /mc for more than a minute or two on Al'Kabor would always lose channels permanently on the affected box, until you relogged.

17. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

Unfortunately you have to log out and back to reconnect. After patch tomorrow, zoning should reconnect.

Elroz likes this.
  18. Dane

Dane People Like Me

Thanks for the response, Haynar. I've tried that multiple times with no luck. I don't even connect to the UCS at all, even when i first log on. I'll check again tomorrow after the patch and report back.

19. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

Mac or PC?

20. Dane

Dane People Like Me

Mac. I'm still running the oldschool script from like initial beta launch. Not sure if that would have anything to do with it.

21. Bastette

Bastette Active Member

I think it was short for /mediacontrol or something like that which was never fully implemented. The client tries to launch a process from a non existent library which causes an OS error. It switched back to the macOS UI to display the error, so you can do whatever you'd like in macOS, then click the button to acknowledge the error, and it will drop you back into EQ. The EQ process is frozen while you are /mc, so disconnects and sync issues happen if you are out too long. Note that mana and health bars won't update while /MC, but as soon as you do something that causes them to change, the server will sync up and they will display the correct value.

Also, what every you type after /mc doesn't matter. I usually do /mc c as my finger is already on the c key, but others prefer /mc hammer, as it's /mc hammer...

22. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

After posting those, I realized that on AK I vaguely remember not seeing any messages when channels went down, they would just go down and you would get a message that you aren't on any channels when you tried to chat on them. I do strongly remember rolling over to alliance2 when the cap was hit. Hopefully, that's one bug/limitation that we won't recreate here.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
  23. Tuluvien

Tuluvien I Feel Loved

Yeah I remember being pushed into alliance 2 etc. Also at times one of my boxes not being in chat but no memory of a message telling you youd been actively dropped at all.

24. Tuluvien

Tuluvien I Feel Loved

The /mc trick is used to get mouse control to your eq instance while boxing on Mac. When I launch I don't have mouse control, and need to type it on each box.

weirdog92 likes this.
  25. bijaz

bijaz Member

If you wait until the EQ icon stops bouncing and click it right before the client comes up, then move your mouse out into the desktop area (not over other windows) the EQ process will capture the mouse from the start.

Tuluvien and lurari like this.
  26. Tuluvien

Tuluvien I Feel Loved

That's good to know, thank you!

27. Dane

Dane People Like Me

Still having issues. Want to try setting up autojoin in my UI_Character_Server.ini file, but uhh, where the hell do i find that file on my Mac? Tried searching all files with no luck.

28. Ravenwing

Ravenwing I Feel Loved

/autojoin should let you do it in game, but otherwise, the file you want is USER/library/application support/Everquest/eqclient.ini. If the library folder doesn't show up, you need to make it visible. I think the way to do that varies by version of OSX, but googling should turn up the correct setting quickly enough.

29. Bastette

Bastette Active Member

Be in your user folder, hold option and click the GO menu. The Library folder will then be a choice.

30. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

You could have an issue with the port being blocked, since its a seperate connection to chat server.