Boxing Setup > Mac > 2 Monitors + 1 Computer

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by omnipixel, Aug 16, 2016.

1. omnipixel

omnipixel New Member

Hi -
    Basically, my main problem is that the mouse is causing pure hell when switching from 1 account (on the left screen) to the other account (on the right screen).

The mouse does not like to move between each screen running separate instances of the game.

My (crappy) solution (and I've tried MANY):
    I have to alt tab (yes, I have to) out of the game (either screen) to any app running other than the 2 EQ instances running. That gives me control of the mouse. Then, I have to use either hot corners or mission control to get the mouse back up top again (and then move it to the other screen). Then at that point, I can finally click on the other instance of the game running on the other screen.

So. This takes A LOT of steps to get it to work perfectly. (And I mess it up a lot. Usually during a moment of panic).

I don't mind having to move the mouse back and forth each time from the left screen to the right screen- I expect that to be the norm. It's just really difficult when the game freezes your mouse inside of the game.

On the plus side, I can alt-tab between each screen quickly - but the mouse control stays behind. But eventually I have to move the mouse over to the other account.

I mentioned I have to use alt-tab: it's the only way I can get control of the mouse: period. If I don't, and try to use mission control, the mouse just freezes until I go back into the game again. Hot corners, doesn't work unless I hit alt-tab first (into another app that isn't EQ).

Other info:
    • I'm running el Crapitan 10.11.4
    • Adding computer keyboard inputs to switch between screens doesn't work. (Tried many different setups. All works less efficiently than my alt-tab method).
    • The computer screens aren't mirrored.
    • I have tried with 2 desktop screens (2 spaces, 1 on each screen). Tried it with 2+ spaces (2 spaces on 1 screen, 2 spaces on the other).
    • Usually I have to do the /mc trick to get control of the mouse after swapping between screens. Most of the time, but not always. Which is weird.

If anyone knows a way to do this properly, or point me towards a thread I missed that goes over multi-screen boxing on a mac, That'd be great. I'd really like to figure this out!

Thanks for (any of) your help in advance!

PS - I have Windows Bootcamp - Would I be better off switching to Windows for this kind of setup?

2. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

Unfortunately there aren't any known fixes for the OSX client stealing mouse control, other than to completely avoid it and have only one box per space. I don't know of any solution for multiple monitor play setups.

3. Elrontaur

Elrontaur People Like Me

Windowed mode is a known buggaboo with the Mac client, it's dicey with a single instance of the game. 2 instances is asking for trouble, I am afraid.

4. Pithy

Pithy I Feel Loved

I'd be interested in a Mac multiple display solution. I don't know of one, but I also haven't played with it at all.

If you're interested in boxing efficiently on a Mac, I suggest you try TotalSpaces2. Switching instances with one key press and no slide animation is gr8.

5. MikayahEQ

MikayahEQ Well-Known Member

Just curious...I have been considering TotalSpaces2 since I started, but I'm on El Capitan, and I've read some mixed reviews regarding how well it runs, even with the necessary part of SIP disabled.

Anyone have any insight on whether it's worth it for someone, like myself, running 10.11+?

6. omnipixel

omnipixel New Member

Thanks for all the replies. I will just have to give TotalSpaces2 a try - I'll let you know how it goes.

7. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

I have no performance issues with it

8. MikayahEQ

I may give it a try then...it sure would be nice to be able to insta-switch, both in game and out...I hate the animations.

9. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

You're going to feel like a boxing master once switches are instant.

10. MikayahEQ

Downloaded and installed. I like it already.

11. lurari

lurari People Like Me

I remember when I installed this on Al`Kabor it felt like I started boxing twice as efficiently! Here's another vote for TotalSpaces2!

12. MikayahEQ

Yeah...just finished my first night of raiding with TotalSpaces2, and I have to say, I'm a believer...so much smoother.

Lenas likes this.
  13. omnipixel

omnipixel New Member

I said I'd post on this after I figured something out I like (Im very picky), it took me a bit, but I got something working smoothly. Idealistically TotalSpaces2 is the champ for running two or three accounts on more than one monitor. Hands down.

The real trick for doing it right, is to use a mouse that has additional buttons. Within the TS2 preferences, there is a section called "Instant expose mouse" - use that. If you don't have a fancy mouse and are forced to set up a keyboard macro, you're still gonna have to grab your mouse (after pressing the keyboard macro) and move it to the other screen. The nice thing about putting the switch macro on the mouse, your hand is already on the mouse, and it just speeds things up a little bit for me (feels like it anyway). Of course, you don't have to always move your mouse to your other accounts all the time. Just during certain situations when you need to click on something. When I don't need to, I just Cmnd+tab between screens. (I'd play the whole game using my keyboard if I could).

A big step further:

I got a bit fancy during my setup research and thought "wouldn't it be cool to see if I could have 2 accounts running on one monitor (split screen), and the 3rd account running full screen on the other monitor?"

Well. I figured out a way. It was a bit tricky, but it can be done.
    You will need a fancy monitor that can physically turn and then you need to download a program called Spectacles. (Multi-button mouse: again, same bonus here, but not required).

In order to do this, one of my monitors has the ability to rotate (physically) 90 degrees. So it switches from 2560w x 1440h to 1440w x 2560h.
    After (or before if you're smart) turning the monitor, you have to open System Preferences > Displays > Rotation. And then change the settings accordingly so you're not looking at your desktop UI sideways. After that, open your eqclient.ini. (Leave eqclient.ini open - you will need it again). Change the dimensions in the video section so that you can easily fit 2 running accounts on the turned-monitor. For me I do Width=1440 and Height=1260. Don't forget to save! This is where Spectacles comes in. I was having problems getting my windows to sit perfectly on the part of the screen I want. TAKP client was just throwing them wherever it wanted to (usually half of the game window missing off of the screen). In the Spectacles preferences, change or make note of the "Upper Half" and "Lower Half" macros. (Pro-Tip: Make sure they don't cross-interfere with TotalSpaces2, or any other programs you might be running for macros. I made this mistake at one point). Now, knowing those Upper Half and Lower Half keyboard macros, use them. Make sure in the upper left hand corner of your screen it says "Everquest" - you might have to play around with Cmnd+Tab and Cmnd+` to get it. Then, you can use the Spectacles macros to place the windows where you want them (upper half, and lower half). This can be a bit tricky, sometimes it ignores me or throws the window in a weird place (bounces around). Hang in there, eventually within a few tries it goes where it should (it might do it during gameplay after setup is complete. Again, no worries, it should fix itself after a couple switches between screens). -- Also it really helps to have the same mouse setup with TS2 (from earlier setup). Having the mouse macro on an extra button lets you click between each running game super fast. It's so successful, that when you click on the upper half or lower half running game, it jumps right into that game with mouse control! Every once in a blue moon I still have to use the in game command /mc 1. (I just make a macro for it on all my toons and put it in the same spot). And you can still Cmnd+tab between all the running accounts too if you don't need to move the mouse control around. Then, finally, for the third account, set your eqclient.ini settings back to regular in the video section (don't forget to save!). Place it in the 2nd monitor.

Hopefully this helps out anyone who wants to take on this game running two + accounts on a Mac with two + monitors. Let me know if you have any questions - I'd be glad to help out in any way that I can. Probably easier to message me in game directly:

Momo - 30 Ranger
    Bleu - 30 Bard
    Nina - 10 Druid

Last edited: Sep 16, 2016