Question about resist checks

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gindainy, May 2, 2022.

1. Gindainy

Gindainy Well-Known Member

I have a question about how negative resist checks work (for example, when a spell is -300 MR or such).

I know that resists themselves are capped at 500, but if you have more than 500, then have a debuff applied (like tash for example) you can still be above 500 if you had enough MR. My question is how do negative resist checks work if you have over 500 MR? Let's say you had 575 total MR (but only 500 displayed because of the cap) and are hit by a spell with a -300 MR check, would the resist check be against 200 MR or 275 MR?

Thanks in advance.

2. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

500 is 500, 1000 is also 500.

Over-cap resist doesn't work here when considering spells with negative resist checks on them.

Quite a few fights would be extremely trivialized if you could just over-cap resists and become immune to various AEs using a bard and resist buffs.

3. Pithy

Pithy I Feel Loved

That's my understanding too.

That said, resists above 500 can occasionally be useful against mobs that debuff your resists. For example, if I'm wearing a total of 600 MR (though it only displays as 500 due to the cap) and a mob his me with a -200 MR debuff, I'll end up with 400 MR.

4. Gindainy

Gindainy Well-Known Member

That is what I figured, but just wasn't sure. Thanks for clarifying.