Using controllers with programs like Xpadder?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by krakmojo, May 11, 2017.

1. krakmojo

krakmojo Active Member

Just looking for an official opinion before I do anything.

I did a search and didn't find any previous art.

Thoughts and opinions on Controller mappings with Xpadder and the like?

I've got a GPD-WIN and I'd like to do 1:1 mappings to keys directly with Xpadder since it's regular keyboard isn't too hot for MMO's.

e.g. X button = the z-key on the keyboard (my auto-attack).

There is no scripting or automation here, so everything is a direct key press, but additional software is involved.

Thoughts?

2. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

No different than mapping keystrokes to extra mouse buttons IMO

3. Diro

Diro Member

Oh I just posted about doing this with a PS4 controller. I hope there is no issue with it as I love playing MMOs with a controller.

4. krakmojo

krakmojo Active Member

Sounds good.
    I will probably start another post in the technical section for posting Controller configs then.

5. Fadetree

Fadetree People Like Me

Can you program loops into that kind of thing? Can you have a 'macro' that is much longer than anything you could get in game? If so, thats kind of borderline I think.

6. krakmojo

krakmojo Active Member

To my knowledge, no. That would a require another program with scripting capabilities.

Though to be fair, if you're using a program like that, it wouldn't matter if you were using a Controller, smart mouse, or keyboard, as it's doing the heavy lifting.

Xpadder and Joy2Key are just key-mapping applications. I will do some more digging to verify, though

7. Fadetree

Fadetree People Like Me

Yeah, really sometimes I kind of wonder about HotKey too, for that matter. I haven't really explored all the capabilities but seems like it does or could be modded to do some really sketchy things.

8. sowislifesowislove

sowislifesowislove People Like Me

I gotta ask. Why the funk would you want to use a controller or ps4 controller? That seems like such a handicap in a game like EQ.

9. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

Boxing it would suck but there are more than enough buttons and combinations to run a single char.

I loved playing FFXIV with a controller and it's much more complicated.

10. krakmojo

krakmojo Active Member

Just found this video to help with the limited buttons. With "Long Presses" I can really squeeze some use out of a the controller's limited button space.

Xpadder ADVANCED TUTORIAL! HOLD KEYS EXPLAINED!!!

11. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

Is a hold key like, holding left trigger to be some kind of modifier? That kind of functionality is what made FFXIV extremely playable with a gamepad.

12. numinari

numinari Member

Real pros do repetative tasks manually (j/k) but yeah I dont see how it would be bad unless it was cranking out tons of tradeskill recipes.

This one time on a certain red pvp server someone got in trouble for having a macro that swapped weapons for backstabs. Don't do that.

There are other threads - no unatended obscene macros and i dont think anyone would bother u -

13. numinari

numinari Member

Personally I would be ok with someone manually firing a button on their mouse tho to macro swapping a sword for a sheild for a bash, or swapping a sheild out for a 2h bash - I use to do that by hand, it's tough, but you can do it before the 2h swing timer resets and not loose a ton of a dps. Even more pro if jousting in pvp and keeping the bash/2h timer seperate. it's a bit cray.

14. lurari

lurari People Like Me

This is down a road that I don't think we should be going down. Sounds a lot like replicating MQ2 functionality.

15. Oiwon

Oiwon People Like Me

The idea of playing EQ on a controller does sound fun, but would you still be able to do things like mem spells, open and close bags, pull a clicky out of one of your bags and click it while running? I'm sure there's other examples.. I haven't played with a controller much on computer games but i just imagine it as a somewhat limiting experience in EQ unless you can overcome hurdles like these. I guess it's probably doable just takes some work and if you set it up right maybe it would be easier to 3 box that way.

16. lurari

lurari People Like Me

Our client definitely has its limitations. The current/Live client can do a lot of these things with in-game /commands so it's a simple macro but here we still have a lot of point and click.

Oiwon likes this.
  17. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

To do those things you would need to maybe create a modifier key that would turn one of the sticks into mouse movement while you hold it down.

Typing is the real issue. Can't play EQ without communicating like most other MMO's.

Oiwon likes this.
  18. Oiwon

Oiwon People Like Me

Typing, yeah good point. It does sound like a fun idea though.

19. numinari

numinari Member

I can respect that. I can really see the case for drawing the line at moving inventory slots automatically or clicking inventory slots automatically. Anything you would need to technically mouse click.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2017
  20. numinari

numinari Member

Yep.

21. numinari

numinari Member

One of the Play Station Final Fantasy releases had a key combo that opened up an onscreen keyboard, that could be done with controller mappings and a 3rd party app that would let people type.

Good groups don't require much communication and a lot of things can just be a hotkey. I think an Xbox or playstation controller could definitely be made to work. Even for an enchanter. Mouse look for targeting here since we don't have the ability to spam cycle targets would be tricky with joysticks, but hey - moving char around and spaming target nearest works too sometimes better than trying to mouse click :D

All in all controller's are totally do-able imho just requires a decent amount of work. And maybe an eq friendly keyboard input program.

22. lurari

lurari People Like Me

Do whatever you want on your own private server, but it's not a "respect" issue. That's the rule for this server. Don't like it? Find a new home.