64-bit Mac Client

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Torrinn, Nov 2, 2022.

1. Torrinn

Torrinn Active Member

I was just curious to know if any effort has been made to convert the Mac client to 64-bit, so it can run on versions of MacOS past Mojave. Catalina breaks 32-bit app support. If not, has a workaround been found?

2. Devour_Souls

Devour_Souls People Like Me

No, nobody has the client source. Install Windows is the workaround.

3. Frosst

Frosst Well-Known Member

Can this be reverse engineered/built from scratch?

4. solar

solar Administrator Staff Member

Devour's suggestion is the most practical.

Anything is possible though, these guys did it with another old 90s game: https://github.com/diasurgical/devilution
    They actually found some bits of source code on one of the expansion discs which helped this get off the ground.

There are people doing it from scratch for EQ too but this is unlikely to become a fully playable thing like TAKP for a while: https://lanterneq.com/
    Nevermind trying to replicate all the subtle game things that are important to TAKP players - we're still finding new unknowns we didn't know we didn't know.

The apple OS is (was?) capable of translating PPC and 32 bit binaries transparently and almost perfectly. They even used to run 'classic' OS 9 programs.. they could do it if they wanted to, and maybe those components could be ported to the current 64 bit systems, I don't know. It's a stupid problem because it's not a technical issue but just a business decision to force upgrades. Using Mac OS's translate and 32 bit functionality would be the best solution if they didn't intentionally block it. Note also that you already can't write/distribute software for tablets/phones, they will only run signed apps from the vendor's app store, which means only the vendor has the password to install any new software and these devices are worthless without the cloud service they connect to. So this idea of spending some monumental effort to make something that will continue to work in the future can just be shut down by the next update, just like what happened here already.

This is probably coming to windows users too eventually. It's already difficult for people to download our old game because it gets flagged as a virus and windows deletes it silently. This doesn't happen with the app store games.

5. Torrinn

Torrinn Active Member

I don't think future MacOS releases beyond Ventura are going to be a problem, because Ventura looks to be the end of the road for Intel Macs, anyway, and there is no more Mac support at all in official EQ, so Macs running Apple Silicon will never play EQ natively. Whatever clients for Mac are still floating around out there, are all there is ever going to be. Isn't there also a security flag that you can disable that allows apps not downloaded from the app store to run?

6. showstring

showstring I Feel Loved