EQLive Shut down

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bum, Apr 26, 2018.

1. Bum

Bum I Feel Loved

Since my post get censored for funzies.

Can anyone link reliable information that points to EQlive shutting down.

All I see is layoffs and most likely they will stop "developing" new content and just rake in no work cash from chronos etc. No reason I see they are actually "shutting down"

2. Fadetree

Fadetree People Like Me

Looks worse than that to me. But anyway....this will probably turn into some people looking for a new EQ home. Most of them will probably will hate OG EQ, but some will stick.

Tesadar and Videri-Tala like this.
  3. J1zmak

J1zmak Well-Known Member

4. J1zmak

J1zmak Well-Known Member

TLDR: DBG is a subsidiary of a subsidiary of a Russian company that was sanctioned this month (assets frozen, must close down US operations). TBD if this will impact DBG but they are sure acting like it will.

5. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

6. Bum

Bum I Feel Loved

First thing they should have done is moved office locations to anywhere but San Diego. Most likely they let go top paid employees and will move the jobs overseas. EQ servers aren't shutting down.

7. shortok

shortok People Like Me

Corporate layoffs can be weird. My work recently let go quite a few people who were higher paid, but super effective, and left my underpaid lame ass behind. It's all about maintaining appearances and keeping warm bodies while doing as much as you can to reduce payroll. I also feel like "we sent everybody who wasn't laid off home." was more about freezing payroll than it was a kindness to let people deal with their homies leaving. They needed some time to play financial fuckery and PR/HR damage control while freezing their numbers.

I'm expecting maintenance mode or a change of hands very quickly. Daybreak can continue to crank out by-the-numbers expansions, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's recycled content with old art or they change owners in the next few months, or both.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
  8. Skogar

Skogar New Member

It wasn’t that long ago that Asheron’s Call shut down its servers. It was a small, tight-knit community. Comparing Daybreak with Turbine, there are some similarities, and some differences. A big difference of course is the politics involved with the Russian Oligarchs.

Before Turbine turned off the power there was a period of 2 years (or so) in maintenance mode. Before maintenance mode there were significant layoffs. If Daybreak can maneuver itself out of its current political trouble, EQ might limp along like AC did in maintenance mode for a few years. I think EQ has a larger player base than AC ever did so I’m hopeful.

I missed the Omens of War expansion on the live servers. I just might go back to the Test server and check it out because I think the sun is settting.

9. Torrinn

Torrinn Active Member

There is talk of them selling out to another game company to eliminate the Russian connection but as long as anyone connected to Daybreak is still in a position of control or owns shares in the merged company, then the new company that comes out of it may find itself sanctioned as well. I would hope that no other game company that may be considering buying them out would even consider keeping anyone on staff that may bring the wrath of sanctions down on them or we may end up losing a lot of other good games as well.