Character Names

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by iraxion, Oct 20, 2021.

1. iraxion

iraxion Well-Known Member

Question wrt/ Character Name Reminder (https://www.takproject.net/forums/index.php?threads/character-name-reminder.20257/) -- got me curious. Some, err, "interesting" names can certainly be found via magelo.

Is it worth actively reporting some of the more egregious? Would that "produce" something, i.E. would it contribute?
    Or would it just waste more time, so better ignore?

(Please don't get me wrong on this: I'm certainly not the name police and I've got better things to do. But now that I took a look I have seen some outright no-gos and some questionable stuff. Personally I won't be - can't be - offended unless Unacceptable Badname actually crosses my way in Norrath.)

TIA for advice :)

2. Auyster

Auyster People Like Me

Name police isn't worth the effort. I see bad name, I don't care. I got pixels to farm.

showstring likes this.
  3. thucydides

thucydides I Feel Loved

It looks like Unacceptable Badname is currently available

Mechaike and iraxion like this.
  4. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

If you want to be the name police. More power to you. It will not end well.

Kagatob, Mechaike, Manstache and 2 others like this.
  5. iraxion

So hurry. :) But it's a boring name, being neither unaccptable nor bad.

No sir, I don't want to. And given that it will not end well, i'll pretend I've never seen them. Thanks. :)

6. Placer

Placer Well-Known Member

From what I can tell, there is a good chance that someone has been banned but the name would still appear on magelo. I know that any toon from level 30 on is basically saved in some form even if you deleted it. That name can't be used. So you may only be discovering something the devs have already seen and reviewed.

iraxion and Cadsuane like this.
  7. Speedz

Speedz Administrator Staff Member

I wouldn't machinegun report each and every name.
    BUT that said, if a WTF name does cross your path once in a while, don't let Haynar scare ya off from mentioning it in a petition.
    Please never report them openly and in a public viewable space.

I do agree with the sentiment behind Haynar's comment, we don't want PC name police running around always reporting.

We just happened to get a couple reports and a few the GMs actually noticed before players sent a note on them. So we decided to axe them all in one go.

ALSO NOTE:
    If you know your name is questionable and can be verified that it is unacceptable, file a petition and be honest. This could go a long ways to not have a hammer on your head. This does not mean we will open change just anyone's name for every reason. Also, names created after this whole name event will be looked even further down on since we have made it painfully obvious it is not cool.

8. Speedz

Speedz Administrator Staff Member

This is correct, essentially if a name gets them banned we won't delete the character as a means to "hold" the name from further use.

9. iraxion

I understand what I've seen now, and those are likely just... ghosts in the database, from toons who met their fate.
    And no worries, that didn't scare me. (Should I be more afraid? ;)) I actually read it with a smile on my face. "It will not end well." Yes, totally valid point! And on the other hand "it" - the issue - will not end well for the malefactors. Well done.

( Wish I could reply without bumping, but wanted to say thanks for the thorough replies. As usual, what an awesome place this is. Did I mention I like it around here? :) )