Do we need a bit more info in the wiki about getting started?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by vannari, Mar 1, 2016.

1. vannari

vannari Well-Known Member

Our guildy Claw's mac died and just got a PC for the first time and I offered to help him get started with the client and stuff. The download on the wiki does the bulk of the work but I think there is still some extra stuff you have to do if you want it to work well with the latest tweaks.

Am I right that it doesn't include the secrets updates and the haynar dll? If so maybe Len or someone with wiki access could paste my post to Claw onto the wiki? Maybe reword anything you think sounds rambly or vague or whatever.

Ideally it would be nice to have all the links on that getting started place so a new player can just download all the stuff together and then have the game working like I do now which is pretty damn slick (instant switching via autohotkey and fake fullscreen yet windowed and some other cool tricks). The only thing I wasn't sure about was setting up autohotkey but I think that might be included in one of these links. Anyway here is what I typed:

First you get the client from here:

http://wiki.takp.info/index.php?title=Getting_Started
    The pre configured Windows client includes most stuff you need to start playing right away, and is already setup for TAKP. However I THINK this version hasn't been updated for a long time so has a bunch of quite annoying bugs. With alt tabbing, sometimes the ALT key will get stuck, and sometimes 2 cursors appear which is confusing. There are also some LD issues mainly when zoning. These have all been fixed by Haynar and Secrets but you have to download their fixes separately. The easiest one first:

Then get this
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/uj4hwof9xk7zn ... e.dll?dl=0
    This is a new .dll made by Haynar which will fix zoning and some LD issues. It also lets the game limit the FPS by itself so you don't need to download an extra program to do that. Just overwrite the old dll, and you can backup the old one if you like but I don't bother because the new one is great. (So this removes the need for the DXTory section in the wiki)

And finally get this
    Then you need to get Secrets's new tweak to fix alt tabbing and some other stuff and makes it work in windowed mode yet fullscreen at the same time:
    (This is V15) https://www.sendspace.com/pro/dl/9x55ev
    With this tweak the game can run in windowed mode but looks like it is fullscreen. This makes alt tabbing far smoother. It is important though that you don't try to use EQW anymore because the game deals with it in a different way. Instead do this:
    Create a shortcut to eqgame.exe with the parameters "patchme" like you would for titanium.
    Set this shortcut up to point to wherever you have the game and just make sure the line that runs the game has patchme afterwards. For me it looks like this:
    "H:\takp\eqgame.exe" patchme

I can't remember if this is already setup to do the fullscreen trick, but if not this is how you do it:
    -Added support for 'psuedo-fullscreen' mode which removes the window border of the program.
    FullScreenWindowed=1 will enable this option in eqw2.ini

One of the best things about this is that it is setup to use AutoHotkey to switch between clients instantly. Mac has mulitple desktops as standard I think, PC doesn't have that but you can download virtual desktops. But Secrets recommends you use AutoHotkey instead and I can see why, it is far faster and more reliable: "You may use HotKeyNet (included in the new version) and the Script.txt (which you can adjust) to switch between clients."

For me this worked great at this point but some people needed to download one or two extra things. This page talks about that:
    http://www.takproject.net/forums/index. ... 083/page-3

And I think this is the main thing people needed:
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... x?id=48145

With a new PC you might need that, but I have lots of other games installed and they tend to install extra stuff like that so I already had it. Hope this helps!

Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
  2. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

Vannari you did this big writeup here, but anyone also has permission to edit the wiki :p

I don't play on Windows side, so I generally don't mess with any of those instructions. I think Surron is the one that originally wrote them up.

Since each setup has pros and cons I think the best option is to leave secrets/haynar's additions as optional and not bundle them into the starter package. However if 90% of PC players agree that they're preferable upgrades, maybe it should all be rolled into one.

Also, Windows 10 has virtual desktops just like OS X does.

3. vannari

Ahh didn't know that. Although I wouldn't wanna edit someone else's work without checking with them first. Hoping Surron will find this and decide. I think it would be at least 90% probably 100% because the older version just didn't work very well. Maybe for single boxers it would be ok but with multiboxing it falls apart. The new Secrets version isn't perfect but it is the closest by far! The Haynar dll I think is essential, lotsa LD and LD on zoning without that (and the fps limiter is a nice bonus - not just for less hassle but dxtory used to screw up my MS Outlook which was a nuisance). So I am sure recompiling a new zip with the extras included would be best but I don't wanna step on anyones toes. I am happy to help though if anyone wants me to, I can just make a fresh client and install those things and then make it into a zip or whatever.

I wouldn't recommend the virtual desktops, only because I used to use Dexpot and a few others, and they bugged out a lot. Secrets told me they are not really compatible so told me to use Autohotkey and it works better than I ever could have dreamt! It is literally instant, not 1 second or half a second but instant switching :) Really reliable too. Win10 virtual desktops might be too but I doubt it. But either way that stuff is option with Secrets's tweak anyway.

4. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

I believe Secrets client and that eqgame.dll don't play nice. Haynar would have to confirm, but I remember him saying its for EQW v2.32 and the latest EQmules only.

Secrets client is optional, not really a required download, as I rarely have alt - tab issues. There are also other caveats, such as not being able to use different options between the clients, such as audio, music, etc.

5. vannari

It is compatible for sure, I held off getting the dll until he confirmed it, and it has been smooth sailing since! (He sorta says it here. But I can confirm too cuz I've been using it for daily for a month or more :p )

I guess keeping the secrets thing optional might be better if some people prefer the original though, I just had much more luck with the newer version and lots of the comments seemed to say the same.

Not sure about the different options part. For me I have the folder duplicated so my main character has all options cranked and music/sound enabled. And then my two other characters are played from a different folder that has lower graphics settings and music turned off. Not sure if that's what you meant?

6. Ransom

Ransom Well-Known Member

How do you do this with secret's client? I thought it launches all three from the same folder?

7. surron

surron People Like Me

hey vannari the getting started guide has secret's client guide already written and is using version 15, just gotta scroll down some.

in my opinion secret's client is better for new players because secret's client auto names each window allowing hotkeynet to map hotkeys to each window title thus making boxing a breeze. Haynar's dll doesnt work well with secrets client, it causes autorun and other keys to stick so I haven't included it because I believe new players should be using secret's client.

but if you want to add a section before or after secret's client that talks about haynar's DLL that would be fine, but just state them to backup their eqgame.dll if using secret's client if they experience sticky key issues.

what needs to happen is, we need to scrap secret's client (sorry nothing personal, just trying to get it back to 1 client)... secret's and haynar both work on eqgame.dll and we all use eqw.exe... However someone would need to write a hotkeynet script that renames window titles. I have a program that does this and it is linked in the guide and apps section of the forum but i did not post a compiled version.

I think haynar / secrets need to decide what to do about our dual client situation

Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
    Lenas likes this.
  8. vannari

It doesn't seem to, you just gotta make sure that the shortcut you make points to the separate folder. So for example for me, I have a small SSD that only has this game on it, and on there is just two folders.
    h:/takp
    h:/takp-low
    And then in the first folder I make the shortcut pointing to eq game and it looks like this:
    "H:\takp\eqgame.exe" patchme
    And make sure the box that says "start in" points to the right place which for me is just "H:\takp"

Then the second folder is a direct copy of my first folder just with different ini settings for low settings. And then you have to change the shortcut in that folder to be:
    "H:\takp-low\eqgame.exe" patchme
    And again change the "start in" box to point to the second folder instead of the first one.

And then I just run the game from those two shortcuts. I always run my first client from the first folder, then my second two clients I use that second shortcut and they have the lower settings and no music.

Ransom likes this.
  9. vannari

Ahh surron thanks! My bad, I never spotted the secrets guide. I think I will put a bit about the haynar dll in there. For me it works well, I was getting LD's on zoning a lot before that and now it seems good but I'll make it clear that it might not work for everyone.

Getting the clients combined would be cool although I think this might be happening already. I think Haynar said he wants to include secrets's stuff into his dll so it will work like you say. Also I think Speedz is working on some kind of launcher (maybe I dreamt this? :p) which might make "getting started" thing easy.

10. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

It's coming

11. vannari

Wow nice :)

12. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

This was my problem. Even though I set the shortcuts to launch from different folders, it would always use the ini settings from the first one you launched.

13. vannari

Hmm weird, I don't think I did anything special to make it work. Although I never tried it until v15, maybe that newer version changed something?