New player looking for server

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by HollowPilgrim, Apr 19, 2016.

1. HollowPilgrim

HollowPilgrim New Member

Hey all. New to EQ, want to start playing this weekend and I was going to roll on p1999 but I saw a reference to this place and wanted to find out more before I pick one. Classic and the first expac is finished here, correct? How finished is this? I played on a few WoW private servers so I understand that emulating things sometimes isn't perfect but is it decently playable for someone who doesn't know the ins and outs of everything yet? Is the community friendlier here? Any other big differences between the two servers? What expac will this one be progressing to? Sorry if the answers to these questions are already listed somewhere, I didn't see them if they are.

Edit: Is this playable from windows instead of a mac?

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
  2. Bum

Bum I Feel Loved

Play here. You will love it. P99 is not a friendly place for new or anyone.

3. surron

surron People Like Me

p99 is and stops at the 2nd expansion. We are in the 1st expansion and will stop at the 4th expansion. p99 has a bigger population, and probably a better choice if you don't plan on playing multiple accounts at once. Our is playable from windows and mac

in my opinion you should roll a necromancer (good solo class) and play here, if you're new to EQ soloing can be a great way to learn at your own pace. people on p99 will be quicker to judge a noob

4. Ghakim

Ghakim Well-Known Member

This server's community is very good. Come and see for yourself but a lot of friendly people here and good relations between the guilds.

5. Rivthis

Rivthis New Member

Play here for sure. P99 sucks less you want to bow down to the overlords and popsock 16 hours to get a chance at dragons

6. Villide

Villide New Member

I have no problems with P99 or the community. There are tons of good people there, I think the problem children are mostly in the end game.

But I've been playing here for a few months now and there are a lot of great people on the server. It's just a bit sparse in population at certain times.

For me, playing exclusively a Paladin over the years, the ability to travel a bit easier makes the game much more enjoyable.

Edited to add: Zone times are almost worth the price of admission alone. Just a few seconds normally.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
  7. Pinoit

Pinoit Well-Known Member

P99 is fun for starting out and levelling up... it's the end game where the farce begins. The community gets factioned off into self-preserving shards that fling poo and step all over each other for pixels that tend to disappear in roughly 30 - 90 seconds under the onslaught of roughly 200 camped out, fully buffed characters logging in simultaneously racing for FTE and blindly unleashing a chaotic can of whoopass. They can do this because each faction has at least one face-tracker hooked up to private twitch channels, which are closely monitored by respective batphoners.

Here, while we don't claim the same population averages as P99, raiding guilds treat each other with respect, integrity and courtesy. Eventually every dedicated EQ gamer gets to this point in the game. Some of us would prefer to preserve our dignity when we do :)

Lastly, and most importantly, are the Devs here. P99 has some great Devs (and some are shared here with P99), but the attention to the extra details here are what puts it over the top. The quality of the out-of-game tools from this forum to the allaclone and the guild management tool are just a few that make this server an even higher quality experience than Live ever was, in my opinion.

Oh... and boxing. Why anyone would "not" want to be able to do this continues to evade logic. It certainly does nothing to harm a community; makes those moments when you have to "solo" more viable for some classes, and makes a game over 15 years old that much more challenging. It's not like you "have" to do it (and a lot of people don't), but the option is really nice.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
    Lenas and Neealana like this.
  8. HollowPilgrim

HollowPilgrim New Member

Hey thanks for the answers everyone, the good things people have to say make this place sound pretty cozy. I think I will give it a try once I can set aside some time to getting everything set up. I'm fine with small pops, I learned from a couple other private servers of games I had played that a huge pop isn't always that nice.

9. Verdent

Verdent People Like Me

If you are into voice chat jump into the mumble. I dont mind answering questions or giving out a bit of gear/pp to help people out. Most others on the server feel the same way for the most part though we might watch you squirm for a couple levels while you kill bats with your rusty dagger. Wouldn't want to keep you from the classic experience.

While boxing isn't necessary most people do box here. It allows you to go after a lot more mobs, presents different challenges, and makes life possible to play as certain classes. If you plan on playing only one box a solo class or a class that can solo even a bit is going to be way more enjoyable. If you try to play a rogue at 3AM EST you are going to be very disappointed. If you make a necro go iksar. ;)