Hello & ppc client

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by merlin37, Oct 1, 2015.

1. merlin37

merlin37 New Member

Hello,

I just found out about this server & am super excited; however, over the last 30 minutes or more, I've went from elation to depression!

I can't seem to find any information on the status of a PPC client. I have a Power Mac G5 Dual 2.7 GHz with the original Al'Kabor client and it will not connect. I've searched the top posts in most forums and haven't found an easy answer, so I'm hoping that it's 1) Already developed & somebody will point me in the right direction, or 2) It's close to being developed.

Thank you in advance :)

2. Tuluvien

Tuluvien I Feel Loved

As far as I know you need an Intel Mac for the time being, or a pc of course. I'm sorry to hear you can't connect. A Mac mini capable of running this game can be found on craigslist or equivalent for roughly 75 dollars. I know this isn't optimum but it's not too bad.

I believe I remember them mentioning possible PPC in the future.

3. robregen

robregen Administrator Staff Member

We are currently working on getting the PPC client support, it's just takes a bit more time to figure it out. But as of now, the Intel Client and PC Client are supported.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
  4. merlin37

merlin37 New Member

Thanks for the quick reply; I live in Alaska & people waaaay overcharge for anything that says "Apple" on it, which is one of the reasons I'm still running this G5. I'll check ebay, are there any specific specs I should aim for?

5. Khorpus

Khorpus Well-Known Member

Welcome! I lived in AK for quite awhile, I miss it sometimes. I believe we have a couple others here that are up north as well. Good luck on getting started, hope you can find a way.

6. cavedude

cavedude Administrator Staff Member

This is more of a plug for help than an actual reply:

Getting PPC support has been a priority of mine. We're stuck at trying to run the eqgame executable with parameters... It doesn't look like it can be done, as exec didn't add parameter support for mac binaries until 10.6, one version higher than the last supported PPC OS. If anybody is a PPC expert when dealing with software, we can certainly use some expertise to try to solve this problem. Shoot me a PM so we can meet on irc and talk it over - 3 of us are off and on working on PPC.

We do believe that once we can get PPC communicating with our login server, a change will need to be made to the world server and the rest should just work automagically (we hope!)

Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
  7. shortok

shortok People Like Me

Hail, fellow Alaskan. I might have some spare PC hardware laying around that could run the PC client if you want it, you're in Anchorage, and you're savvy enough to get it all running.

8. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

We have a few PPC setups we are trying. But as there is no functional place to witness how it connects, etc., we are trying to figure it out.

9. merlin37

merlin37 New Member

Can you use a HOSTS file to redirect the PPC connection? Just spitballing...

10. merlin37

merlin37 New Member

Thank you very much for the offer, that's awesome. I have a little system that is a PC, but I don't have a Windows key, which is getting expensive :/ - running it on Linux through Wine or VirtualBox will be laggy

11. cavedude

cavedude Administrator Staff Member

We've already done that yes, we've even hex edited the binary to change the port. The launcher is sending us packets that we aren't exactly sure of what they are. But, we have some theories.

12. merlin37

merlin37 New Member

I'm a bit rusty, but I've done some low-level coding for the military & in other jobs, I wouldn't mind helping if I could; might take me a bit to catch up :)

13. Khorpus

Khorpus Well-Known Member

As we speak, I have my girl's machine running a version of Linux Mint called "Mate" because I didn't want to buy WX for it. It's a low profile version of Mint and she's 3 boxing without it being laggy or anything, on older hardware, without even a small problem or slowdown of any kind. You might want to consider that. She's using the PC client through an app called "PlayOnLinux". I would highly recommend it if you can run it on your machine. Easy to install, easy to use, super fast and clean. If your hardware is heavy cinnamon runs the same program like a charm.