A New Player Has Joined!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jooster, Aug 24, 2016.

1. Jooster

Jooster New Member

Hey everyone!

Had to make the thread title like the announcement you'd get in fighting arcade games when someone joined in :p My friend Skratching (you may have seen his post which I've linked below) and I just started on this server. Skratching went with a Ranger / Cleric / Ench and I created a SK / BL / Druid. I wanted to make this thread and introduce myself to all of you. I was online for the first time last night only for a few minutes before I had to pass out, but I'm eager to get online and play!

My friend and I plan on adventuring through zones we never really went to or spent very little time in back on live several years ago.

Does anyone have any critique or comments regarding my comp of SK / BL / DRU? It seems pretty well rounded to me with heals, ports, sow, tank, and dps.

http://www.takproject.net/forums/index.php?threads/upcoming-new-player.6504/

2. MikayahEQ

MikayahEQ Well-Known Member

My only critique would be a difficulty with split/CC at lower levels. With no SK do not get FD until (iirc) 30. Outdoors you might have less issues with using the Druid's Harmony.

I like all those classes independently, so I would think they would go together well, with only a little over lap.

Best thing, if you hate it - you can switch

I look forward to seeing you in game. Feel free to hit me up on Finadyn if you have any questions or issues.

3. Jooster

Jooster New Member

Thank you for the advice and the warm welcome Mikayah! I'll be sure to at least say "hi" if I see that you're online :)

4. MikayahEQ

MikayahEQ Well-Known Member

I talked a bit to Skratching last night about noob armor quest drops. We'll have to take a trip with your group out to Kurns for some powerleveling if you want.

Of course I also understand the desire to take it slow.

5. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

Welcome! I have an SK, ENC, DRU and the only issue was healing at lower levels. I'm far from twinked, so slow is still necessary for me at this point while tanking. I would imagine you'd run in to the same issues, but definitely doable.

6. Jooster

Jooster New Member

Oh awesome! Yeah, he and I are old friends and played EQ live together back in the day. He was a Dwarf Pally and I was a Halfling Pally (I was a Barb Sham before Halfling Pallies were available.) Thank you for the offer for some powerleveling! I think currently we are planning on taking the slow road and not worry about rushing to max level.

Do SKs have the infinite mana thing on this server like they did back in the day?

7. Jooster

Jooster New Member

Howdy Mokli! Thanks for the warm welcome and heads up about the healing. Did the healing get better on later for you? I know Druids aren't the ideal healers later on but I recall SKs being pretty self sustaining with their lifetaps and lifetap procs. The Druid would have regen on my SK plus heals in addition to the lifetaps I figured that'd be good enough. I chose Druid as my friend has a Cleric on his team and I imagine we'll play together a good amount of our time online, so this way our group will have ports and both our individual teams will have sow (he has a ranger on his team.)

8. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

Tossed some gear at Skratch, guess I'll have to find you and make some donations as well :D

Skratching likes this.
  9. Jooster

Jooster New Member

Hey Lenas! Thank you! I'd greatly appreciate that. That's super generous of you, thank you! :-D

10. Skratching

Skratching Active Member

I just want to give a shout out to the player base of the server. I have only been playing here a few days and I have talked to all kinds of players who always make the time to answer questions or just to chat.

Great server, great community.

11. Pithy

Pithy I Feel Loved

Welcome guys :) I think SK/BL/druid is a solid trio on its own, and fits nicely with ranger/chanter/cleric. You guys will have good tanking, CC, healing and utility. Plus the convenience of the druid!

Just be aware that SK/BL/druid will take a while to come into its own. Druids aren't great healers at low levels, and BLs have to wait for two of their class-defining abilities (mana regen, 'good enough' slow) until levels 59 and 60.

Personally, I'd love to see a bard in that group. But I just love bards. So versatile, and with no AE mana or resist songs til Luclin, even boxed bards make raids a lot better.

12. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

Druids finally get a decent at 29 I believe. Up until that point, its rough. We get regen at 34 as well. At least we are still in classic/Kunark for a bit longer where the stuff doesn't hit like it does in PoP. Don't get me wrong, its my favorite class. I've always played a Druid. You'll just have to work. ;)

Hard to beat a Druid's ability to powerlevel at the high end as well.

13. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

Yeah damage shield + aoe power leveling is probably the best method I've ever used.

Mokli likes this.
  14. Sverder

Sverder Well-Known Member

I play a pal/ench/druid and I didn't bother with slow until after the 44 enchanter slow. Even then, I wasn't using it on every mob until I started hunting in HS at level 50. BL gets an "ok" slow at 50 (30%), which should be good enough for grinding on low dark blue mobs. The druid's damage shield will be more effective then anyways.

The weaknesses of the SK/BL/druid combo go away when grouped with the ranger/cleric/ench. If you plan to group a lot, I'd say the benefits of that solid group outweigh the lower level weaknesses of the combo.

MikayahEQ likes this.
  15. Skratching

Skratching Active Member

Our main goal is to group with each other due to less people in the lower levels and dropping some of ours if someone wants to join.

16. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

Make some hotkeys to better control the boxes. Especially if boxing is new to you.

A simple hotkey for the Beastlord to:

/assist SK
    /pet attack
    /cast slow.

And one for the Druid to:

/assist SK
    /cast Snare

Also one to:

/target SK
    /stand
    /cast 2 heals
    /sit down

If you're primarily focusing on your SK due to pulling and tanking, make sure all of your Druid's hotkeys stand and sit command at the beginning and end to make sure he is always medding without looking at him to make sure.

At the lower level things like that are very helpful as you feel your way into the boxes.

17. Jooster

Jooster New Member

Hey everyone! Jooster here.

I just wanted to say that with the time I've gotten to play on the server so far it has been amazing. What a wonderful community. Special shout out to Lenas and Bownkers (sp?) for tossing me a little bit of gear to help get me started. I greatly appreciate that. My team is all level 4 now hunting in Field of Bone and I'm looking forward to diving deeper into the game.

Thanks!