Ranger solo effectiveness in PoP?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sverder, Sep 29, 2020.

1. Sverder

Sverder Well-Known Member

Anyone with experience on the effectiveness of a ranger soloing in PoP? Could a ranger with bow AAs kite comparable to a druid kiting kill speed, or would the moving target penalty set bow damage back too much to be effective?

I hit 60 on a trio awhile back but haven't played in awhile. Boxing just does not interest me at all any more, and I'd like a class to true box with. Ranger seems appealing in that the utility/damage can fit into a lot of group compositions, but I'm sure there would be times when I just want to grind some AA solo for an hour too. Is that possible on PoP level 60+ mobs?

2. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

I never had a ranger actually, so I can't comment during this era. However, a number of the zones are available on the dev server now if you want to test. You can just create a ranger, level them up to 60, search and summon items that you currently have (or those you don't).

https://wiki.takp.info/index.php?title=Dev_Server_Access

I remember quad kiting a lot with my Druid in HoH, but I don't think that zone is available yet.

3. Tuluvien

Tuluvien I Feel Loved

On AK I solod my Ranger to 60. Mostly got PoV groups from 60 to 65 but I'm sure I could have found solo experience. Fear kiting animals, root and shoot, etc.

4. Ransom

Ransom Well-Known Member

I didn't play a Ranger to 65 on AK but I did in era on live. At 60, rangers could smoothly solo things like fungus grove mushrooms for slow solid aa xp. However, after 62 I remember the exp going slow outside of pop in anything pre-luclin. I was a raider at the time in velious/Luclin mixed gear and found pop just hit too hard without shaman slow.

If in vex thal gear, with earthcaller and ideally the air cloak, there are probably spots in nightmare, justice, or Luclin that you could solo for some slow exp. Other rangers here might have more timely memories or know of bow spots.

5. sowislifesowislove

sowislifesowislove People Like Me

Allegedly you can headshot light blues in various spots for decent aa? Not sure if this was BS but just something I heard round the way. @Faults you we’re a ranger in the good ol days eh? What say you?!

6. Tuluvien

Tuluvien I Feel Loved

Yes, I used to do it in sebilis for a bit until the level ratios no longer allowed

7. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

Keeping yourself level locked so you could farm light blues optimally never made much sense to me. The power increase from the levels/skills/spells is more than you'd ever get from the AA's.

8. sowislifesowislove

sowislifesowislove People Like Me

Yea. Would have to be really sweet with the ZEMs of POP

9. Faults

Faults I Feel Loved

There's not really a good place to headshot aa.

10. Thunderace

Thunderace People Like Me

Spiderlings FoB