New Player needing help with Necro and Wiz Research

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by arb81087, Sep 21, 2018.

1. arb81087

arb81087 New Member

Hello, I am new player to the server. I played on EQMac sometime between late 2008 and late 2010. While on the server I played as:

Bopp - Gnome Warrior of The Horde
    Torpe - Halfling Paladin of Vintage
    Gorde - Halfling Cleric of Vintage

Introduction aside, I was wondering if there were any high level Necromancers and Wizards that would be able to chat with me regarding the research of spells while I level up.

I am currently leveling as a Paladin, Wizard, and Necromancer.

Thanks!

2. solar

solar Administrator Staff Member

Welcome to TAKP! The Horde is active here along with some other old guilds from EQMac.

Research is easy, you can just buy the skill all the way to 200 at your class trainer, and vendor dive for words and runes in PoK. It may cost you a bit of plat at the high levels but you really only need to take it to around 160 to research everything. To make a level 24 spell you can just max out the skill as high as it will let you go at level 24 and that's enough to have a good chance of success. I suggest making a list of which words/runes you actually need for 'research only' spells and look for those specifically, ignoring the others that make spells you can buy.

3. arb81087

arb81087 New Member

Thank you for the quick response. I've printed out a list of spells, and tagged the ones that are research only, and then tagged the ones that actually seem useful. The problem I think I'm going to run in to, is the skill cap of my research seems like it will always be substantially behind that of my appropriate spell levels. For instance, Lvl 24 research cap of 45 while lvl 24 Spells are trivial at 71 research.

What's the best way to work around this? Always being a full spell level behind on my necro pet seems problematic.

4. solar

solar Administrator Staff Member

The words/runes/pages are not hard to find - they sell decently and stack so they tend to end up on vendors. You may fail a few combines but just keep trying. I don't know the math off the top of my head but you have decent odds on a level 24 spell at 45 skill.

5. Cadsuane

Cadsuane People Like Me

I put a bunch of skill points into Research so that I could make my own spells easily. The skill itself is useless beyond combining the under-50 spells, so don't kill yourself trying to advance it just for it's own sake. Lots of people willing to do the combines for you, just have the words/book ready and ask in the Alliance channel ( /join Alliance ) , I'm certain that people will give you a hand.
    Also there are people with banks full of research components - again ask in alliance.

6. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

The issue with research is you are skill capped below the trivial for your spells at current level.

Research skill caps at (Level-15)*5. Though at level 16 it lets you train to skill 20, you cannot go beyond this skill until level 20.

For example, at level 24 your max skill is 45 Research. But the level 24 spells are trivial of 64 skill.

So even with max skill for your level, if you try to make that spell you would only have a 47% success rate. If you have a few copies of the words, not a problem, you can roll the dice. But some times it can be difficult to find even one copy of the words even with vendor diving.

I’ve got high skill researchers for all classes, if you send me a tell in game when I’m on I may be able to help you combine. I’m sure if you check alliance someone can probably help you before I’d get on though to be honest!

Videri-Tala and Sketchy like this.
  7. arb81087

arb81087 New Member

Thanks for all the help! Will definitely reach out when I get some words ready.

8. Big Poppa Pump

Big Poppa Pump New Member

If you check any merchants in the vicinity of the dark bank, you'll find lots of pages and stuff. Especially the ones from Soulbinder to DB. Also the Tradeskill building behind the Great Library usually has a good bit.

That being said, anyone got Tasarin's Grimoire 312 Left / Right? Lol. Need mah stunz!

9. Morbo

Morbo Well-Known Member

Interesting trio!

I found that while 3 boxing I leveled much faster than I was able to get pages for research. With that in mind I kept all that I needed (some spells are useless) and saved them to research them later on. Being behind on the necro pet will seem like a huge loss but I think that you'll find that you can pretty much ignore it as you level up and change a bit the way you play.

10. Mitya

Mitya Well-Known Member

PS. I am able to either research or sell you a copy of Haunting Corpse (level 24 Nec Pet) as I have a spare copy. Any proceeds would just go to buying more new spells.