Greetings! New player here!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by quesosauce, May 13, 2017.

1. quesosauce

quesosauce Member

Hello friends, i have recently discovered your corner of the everquest world. I played on live back in the velious days though PoP or so, but i never had the oodles of time to devote to the game. Later on, i had tried some other MMO's but always returned to everquest. A few years back i tried my first emu thing, which was Shards of Dalyaya? it was fun and i enjoyed it, but that server seems dead now

Ive never really gotten super into 'boxing' even when i played SoD i played mainly solo and had a second account that i would use for alts, but i didnt really have the boxing thing figured out.

Ive gotten 2 game accounts setup here and was thinking about trying a Pal/Dru duo (i like halflings, so i figure id be a halfing, but wood elf also appeals) First off, is that an ok duo to try to get the hang of boxing down?

Ive been taking the last couple days to read thru the guides here and get myself educated on how things work. I got hotkeynet downloaded, and have been reading that thread on how to use it, but i could use more explaning on what exactly are the kinds of commands people use for two and even three boxing. I enjoy the leveling and grinding aspects of everquest, and to be honest i never really did all that much raiding, mostly because i was in school or work and never had the time to devote to EQ when i did reach the higher levels.

thanks for reading my first post here and id love to hear any kinds of advice you guys have for getting started on this server!

Mokli and Lenas like this.
  2. Guilder

Guilder Member

Welcome. The best advice I can offer on boxing is to just practice. This server brought me my first attempt at boxing. While I'm no expert i do get by well enough. Like most things, the more you practice, the better you'll become.

Pally/Druid should be fine to start out.

This is a great community as I'm sure you'll discover for yourself. Almost everyone is willing to help if you ask.

3. Sverder

Sverder Well-Known Member

Greetings and welcome to the server!

I was a paladin on live, and back in Velious era I frequently duo'd with a druid friend. It is a fun combo and will work well for you at early levels. I think once you get to 40+ though, you may start to feel the pain of no mana regen, no slow, and low DPS. This can be solved in a couple of ways though. First, group with others! Between PoK and druid ports, you can pretty much get to any zone within 5 minutes. Search for others in your level range in exp zones and ask them if you can come join. Or, if you've gotten the hang of boxing, you can fairly easily power level a 3rd. Some decent options would be an enchanter (clarity, haste, slow, pet dps - either high maintenance with charm, or moderate maintenance with animation), mage (low maintenance dps), beastlord (low maintenance dps, at higher levels - haste, slow, mana regen), or shaman (slow, haste, low maint dps with dog and dots).

Or depending on whether you were more attached to druid or paladin, here are a couple of other 2 box options.
    Pal/Shm - Probably a stronger combo than Pal/Dru, but it loses out on ports and easy druid power leveling options.
    Dru/Bst - Better dps and should level faster. You do lose out on paladin lull line which makes for easy pulling all the way to 60.

If you do something other than Pal/Dru, be aware of racial exp penalties. All the Bst and Shm races except vah shir have a penalty which you will definitely feel if for example you have a halfling for one character (5% bonus) and a troll/iksar (20% penalty) for the other.

Very low level boxing can be a chore because you move around so much, so don't be turned off if it seems a pain at the start. It gets easier as you level as you will camp an area for longer and also because muscle memory will form.

In regards to boxing commands, set up some EQ macros to make your life simpler. Some examples below.
    "Follow"
    /target Main
    /sit off
    /follow

"Heal XXX"
    /target XXX
    /sit off
    /cast #

"Assist XXX"
    /assist XXX
    /pet attack
    /sit off
    /cast #

4. quesosauce

quesosauce Member

thanks so much for the replies!

5. benoeb

benoeb People Like Me

Just spam Flash of Light and you'll never lose threat. You can do whatever you want on your druid. Being level 60 on my paladin I often go out of mana on my wizard because I nuke so much because flash simply holds the mob in place and causes it to attack the nearest player (think root without the possibiliy of root breaking). It is awesome.

6. quesosauce

quesosauce Member

wheres a good zone to start exping at for my newb pal and dru? are there any newb armor quests? PoK works, like i can go there and use it to travel around until i get my transport spells? does everyone congregate in PoK?

7. Bum

Bum I Feel Loved

Btw /sit off is actually /stand

pharmakos likes this.
  8. Sverder

Sverder Well-Known Member

PoK does work and people do congregate there, usually by the DB (dark bank, or small bank as it was called on some servers).
    The area right around the PoK stone in Field of Bone is pretty good to start out. You'll get several stacks of spider/spiderling silk which you can sell in the bazaar for good starting money. Kurns or Crushbone are the go to places after you outlevel the spiders in FoB.

Some newbie armor quests are in, some are not. Check the wiki which is linked at the top of the forums.

/stand came later. At the start of EQ, it was /sit and /sit off and /sit off still works.

9. pharmakos

pharmakos People Like Me

The Warrens has good loot for the level range, will help out paying for spells on two characters. also, you can get some cool green leather-equivalent armor and brown ringmail-equivalent at lowish levels there, and eventually you can kill the King and get some sweet black looking bronze-equivalent armor. plus a few other odds and ends from various nameds throughout the zone. one of the highest zone experience modifiers of any newbie dungeon too (second only to Crushbone).

10. Diro

Diro Member

Welcome to the server! I'm not sure what hotkeynet is but I use Dxtory (limits FPS for better mouse look) and Dexpot (alt+1,2,3,4 to switch boxes for PC so you don't have to alt+tab).

I hate boxing because I'd rather group with others but for now it's almost a must due to a big percentage of the server is stacked at the 50+. You will be able to find groups but like someone said earlier Pal/Dru is good combo but I would strongly consider adding an enchanter to the mix for mana regen, slows, and CC at higher lvls. When you are confident enough with boxing, which will come in time, you can start charming for that extra dps.

I hope you enjoy your stay and I would be willing to help you out anytime. I probably have some gear I can give you and can come help you level a little bit to get you on your feet if you'd like. My name in game is Demon or Diro.

actualspaide likes this.
  11. quesosauce

quesosauce Member

wow guys! its refreshing having helpful people actually reply! Im off work today, and the wife is working, so im planning on grinding thru some early levels today!

Djaspurr the druid and Bazegull the pally

12. pharmakos

pharmakos People Like Me

I'm about to smith a bunch of Ornate Chain armor for skillups, just going to vendor it anyway, so I'll make a set for you. Won't be online til later tonight at the earliest, but hit me up when you see me in game on my characters Madriax or Pharmakos.

Last edited: May 13, 2017
    quesosauce likes this.
  13. quesosauce

quesosauce Member

wow thats generous of you! i played a little this morning, got my toons each a level and then moved them to PoK and said hi to the lady who soulbinds there, a troll named Donkey gave me some containers! thanks donky!

got some errands to do and all that, will definitely be on later

14. Tuluvien

Tuluvien I Feel Loved

Tunare druid?

15. quesosauce

quesosauce Member

is that my diety? if so, i think yes?

16. benoeb

benoeb People Like Me

I personally did Orc Hill in Gfay to start until around 5, then Crushbone for 3 or so levels when I first started. Headed to Kurns Tower which is bananas for exp starting around level 7-11. Went Befallen around 13 and stayed until 22. At 22-24 you can hit up HHK basement goblins. After 25 I did Unrest until around 30ish then mozied over to Lower Guk.

Keep in mind I didn't do those zones because I liked them, but it was simply a lot of zone experience modifier utilization since Lenas had a 12 month head start on me.

Last edited: May 13, 2017
    Neealana likes this.
  17. quesosauce

quesosauce Member

ive been reading through the forums, and it looks like luclin zones are being tested but arent in the game yet, i remember a really great zone for like 10-20ish up there, cant rememeber the name

18. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

You're thinking Paludal Caverns.

19. quesosauce

quesosauce Member

yep, sounds about right

when is luclin expected? the posts ive seen point towards it being a xmas gift for us lol

20. benoeb

benoeb People Like Me

Typically we get expansions on a yearly basis between Sept/Oct/Nov (appreciate you dev server testers). I'm looking forward to being able to dump exp into a bar that isn't 100% full.

21. cavedude

cavedude Administrator Staff Member

We don't want to officially announce an ETA because at this point we don't know truthfully. Rob is blowing through the zones right now, but he hasn't reached the raid zones yet. They are going to slow him down a bit to get exactly right. Also, debugging shows that EQEmu's AA system is leaking memory like crazy and isn't efficient at all. Plus with our client hardcoding so much it doesn't make a lot of sense to use their system which is a lot more robust than what ours needs to be. So, I will need to rewrite that framework before we can launch Luclin and that may take some time. Thankfully, the actual effects are fine it's just loading, buying, and activating that needs work.

Ransom and showstring like this.
  22. Pantheon

Pantheon New Member

Cavedude, Rob and everyone else, I sincerely want to say thank you for all that you do. I can't tell you what it means to me to be able to be involved in this server and I look forward to all of your continued efforts.

Also, welcome Quesosauce to the server!!!

23. quesosauce

quesosauce Member

you'all can just call me 'sauce

thanks for the warm welcome! a couple of friendly folks have thrown some spell money and a little gear on my paladin, ive been learning how to box (its tough!~) im up to level 5 with my two dudes, we spent the afternoon killing kobolds in steamfront (which was always one of my favorite exp camps back in the day, i dunno why) got up to 4 there, and then i decided to try to move over to crushbone, but i got to the outside area and killed a couple camps and then dinged 5 while grouping with a fellow new player in field of bone!

ive really enjoyed playing eq the way i rememeber it back in the day, the graphics, the quirks, the grind....im hooked guys

showstring and Elroz like this.
  24. Suriinya

Suriinya Well-Known Member

No no no you don't understand. If you don't do it exactly the same way Bum does it, then you're doing it wrong. Obviously.

:3

25. Bum

Bum I Feel Loved

Suri is right. It's Bum's way or the highway.