State of the beastlord?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ripwind, Apr 25, 2016.

1. Ripwind

Ripwind People Like Me

Good morning/afternoon/whenever you read this

I'm pretty new to the server, but not so new to the EQ emulator scene. I was pretty excited to be able to roll a Beastlord (Syphie, L15 Barb BL,) but have heard of some limitations.

Is there any current documentation that shows the current state of the Beastlord? Like what spells they do/don't have access to - as I understand it, stuff like Spiritual Light isn't currently available?

I'm also not super interested in boxing, so BL seemed like a great pick to be able to solo and offer utility whenever I can pick up a group.

Anyhow, sorry for the newb question.

Thanks!
    -Year/Syphie

2. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

Your problems are going to be gear related, no spell related. BST gear is on some things here but you're basically screwed until Luclin comes out.

3. Ripwind

Ripwind People Like Me

Ahh, thanks for the reply. I assume some classic/kunark stuff isn't itemized for BL yet, like fungi tunic for example?

Also, are all of the BL spells from the wiki available, then?

Thanks!

4. Ghakim

Ghakim Well-Known Member

BLs suffer the following problems:

There is no mana regen spell until 59 (spiritual purity) and the lack of the lower level versions is definitely felt.

We do not have an epic until Luclin.

There are no drops or quests in Plane of Sky for BLs.

People say that gear is a problem for BLs but here are the facts:

You can wear a fungi.

You can get a full set of planar gear (drops in plane of fear). The stats on this equipment are better itemized then the equipment for "classic" classes.

You can get a full set of "kunark clicky" armor drops including items from VS and Trak. (again better stat itemization).

There are full sets of Velious quest items from each of the 3 factions.

You can wear almost all leather items that are not class specific.

For weapons all you really are going to want is a steel hilted flint dagger (procs a 625 point dd) as BL melee sucks until PoP and double attack. This weapon will probably be best in slot through Luclin (can anyone verify?). I know it will do more damage than the epic.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
  5. surron

surron People Like Me

Withered Leather
    Nathsar

2 very good sets of armor for BL outside what ghakim said... but yea before I had a steel hilted flint dagger my BL's melee was laughable. Your fists are not too bad though, I am currently using fists at lvl 58 as my off hand (14/28), although I would prefer a stave of shielding (17/28)

double attack isnt in for BL?? (edit* oh wow its a pop aa)

1 4/36
    5 5/36
    10 6/36
    15 7/36
    20 8/36
    25 9/35
    30 10/34
    35 11/33
    40 12/32
    45 13/31
    50 14/30
    53 14/29
    56 14/28
    59 14/27
    60 14/26
    65 15/20

pretty sure Secret's mains a single box BL

if you do make a BL i'd recommend a http://www.takproject.net/allaclone/item.php?id=24711 Polished Steel Dirk (8/23) which imo is the best dagger for BL before steel hilted flint dagger... and then get a smoldering brand for 1hb while alternating bare fists to keep h2h up

Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
  6. Ripwind

Ripwind People Like Me

Glad to hear there are some armor options currently! I was given an Etched Steel Baton (14/28 1hb) and a Smoldering Brand by some friends, so I think I'm OK on weapons for a while. Things are pretty sparse for armor currently, so I need to work on that next. If not just some newbie quest armor stuff! Also need to get some +HP rings and other jewelry.

7. Ghakim

Ghakim Well-Known Member

Yeah those are good starter weapons.

There is a period where your fists will do more damage then the weapons you have access to (but the damage is still low).

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
  8. Bum

Bum I Feel Loved

Bst fungi is Luclin and req 51

9. krakmojo

krakmojo Active Member

I am adding these equip suggestions to the wiki page at http://wiki.takp.info/index.php?title=Beastlord#Notable_Gear
    It is currently just a rudimentary list, but please let me know if/when you find any inaccuracies and or send me PM's for requested stuff to add and I will get to it when I have time.

10. Ripwind

Ripwind People Like Me

Ohhh, does the Wild Lord's stuff actually drop, currently?

11. robregen

robregen Administrator Staff Member

yes it does. in Karnor's, Sebillis, and Chardok.

12. Tariabak

Tariabak New Member

We have Wild Lords, Nathsar leather and the fear drops. Weapons are the bst's weak point at the moment and with no AA's, we are pretty weak dps wise.

13. Bum

Bum I Feel Loved

"Fear drops" = meh

14. Verdent

Verdent People Like Me

Not bad considering they aren't in the game for 2 more expansions. Be all that is beastlord now, then one day when you are uber you can talk about the good old days before you had modern luxuries like AA's and decent armor.

Actually, this made me think; we should conspire together as a server when Takp is finally finished to try to get newcomers to believe POK never existed till pop was released. Sort of like your grandpa's walking to school everyday, in the snow, uphill both ways.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
    Ransom likes this.
  15. Ripwind

Ripwind People Like Me

Thanks for all of the great info! My BL, Syphie, is now 35 and I feel like I'm really starting to get gear put together. However, I haven't had much luck snagging a cloak or boots. I'm thinking a Hooded Black Cloak would be a good thing to camp, and should be doable with myself and a 52 druid tag-along. Having non-magical boots has been a PITA. After spending ~10 levels in SolA I didn't get a shot at Kobold Hide Boots, with the Kobold Predator somehow only spawning once and dropping the dagger/sword instead. Cloak of the Ice Bear is also a possibility I suppose!