Boxing software

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ghakim, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Ghakim

Ghakim Well-Known Member

I found the answer on the forum.

Sorry for making a post!

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
  2. Deven93

Deven93 New Member

I was actually looking for boxing software for Mac..where did you find the boxing software post on the forum?

3. Bum

Bum I Feel Loved

Use spaces, go into keyboard settings and assign each space a fbutton(13-15), then win at eq

4. Rivthis

Rivthis New Member

What?

5. Neealana

Neealana People Like Me

Deven93 , you do need to explain what you mean by "boxing software". If you mean automated scripts, then there will be questions about how automated they may be.

However, if you just need a quick way to switch between the spaces, then follow Bum's advice above.

6. Deven93

Deven93 New Member

I just use the standard Ctrl + Left(Right) to switch. It's been so long since I've played EQ, but I remember there being a way to set your healer to heal team members if their health reaches below a certain point and to call out OOMs

7. thucydides

thucydides I Feel Loved

The automation you're talking about probably used macro quest, and is not allowed on this server. One thing that might make your boxing more efficient, and what Bum was alluding to, is to set keyboard shortcuts for switching to a specific instance (so you're not scrolling through to get to the one you want).
    to do this, hit command-space to open a spotlight search and type mission control. open mission control and hit the plus button on the top right a few times to open some more desktops. i personally use quite a few of these, but for this purpose you'd want at least 4.
    now exit mission control by hitting esc. click the apple icon in the top left of the screen and select system preferences. go to the mission control page and uncheck the "automatically arrange spaces" and "group windows" boxes. now hit the back button to go back to system preferences, and then go to the keyboard page. select the keyboard shortcuts tab at the top and then the mission control set on the left. now you will have the option of setting dedicated buttons for "Switch to Desktop 1" etc. I personally use f12 for my browser, f13 is always my warrior, f14 is my cleric, f15 is my wizard.
    Once you've got that set up, just go to the desired desktop before you launch each instance of eq (and wait for it to finish launching before moving to a different desktop) and it will stay there.

presto chango! boxing improved (in my opinion). as fast as thought you can hit the "cleric button, heal button, wizard button, nuke button, warrior button, kick button" or whatever it is that you do on your chars =P

8. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

I have my spaces and hotkeys set up like Thucydides, but I don't switch with my keyboard. I mapped the keyboard shortcut for each space to a macro button on my mouse. Top row of 3 keys switches me to the space I need.

9. Deven93

Deven93 New Member

Thanks for the tips guys. I'm extremely Mac illiterate and appreciate the walkthrough.
    I thought macro quest was a tool people use to bot lol.
    I see people boxing 3 characters and wonder how they don't go crazy from all the switching back and forth. I guess it just takes a lot of practice :)

10. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

One thing I do to make my boxing "idiot proof" is to have my two boxed characters hotkeys set up in a way that I can switch, hit 1-2-3-1, and switch back.

For my cleric, this ends up being: Stand, /target Lenas, /cast 1 (heal)
    For my enc, the /target becomes /assist and the cast becomes a DD or whatever.

But for both of them I don't really need to look at what I'm doing, just hit the sequence and switch back to Lenas. By the time you hit level 10, you should be pretty comfortable boxing.

11. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

I never really used any programs for boxing, always just alt tab cycled.

Hotkeys like lenas described definitely help.

My Enchanter had a Tash -> slow hotkey for example. For longer fights I had some cast 5 nuke hotkeys made up so I could set toons and forget them for 30 seconds.

I also tended to try and line up my hotkeys so they are similar across all classes. 1 being the action I performed the most (CH on Druid/cleric, pet attack on enchanter), all characters had 2 as Assist. 4 was pet guard or Divine Arbitration, 7 was open spell book, 8 was an emergency heal, stun, evacuate sort of hotkey, 9 was a clicky (cleric had Rez, enchanter had Memory, Druid had Blade of the Tempest), 0 was summon horse for all the casters.

For the cleric I also made sure to have Complete Healing in slot 1, so that if my ALT key was stuck from the swap, I would still hit ALT 1 and cast a CH. If it didn't stick I would've just clicked the CH hotkey and it would've cast with a message!

12. Elrontaur

Elrontaur People Like Me

I just use 3 different computers, problem solved ;)