Box combo and leveling

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Wilshire, Mar 25, 2015.

1. Wilshire

Wilshire New Member

Hello, long time Druid player here. Excited to see this server after hearing al kabor sunseted. Encouraged by what I have seen so far and grateful for a few members of Temerity for slinging me buffs in GFay.

I'm interested in boxing three toons, but don't have a ton of time for leveling so I wanted to be efficient. Was way into charming with my Druid, so I wanted to level a chanter as a pseudo main. From here I just wanted two other toons to help with the leveling process. I was thinking a Mage and cleric/Druid. Don't have anything to twink a melee with, and I heard there's issues with AC right now that make melee toons harder to level and make pets over perform. The cleric and Mage would transition to being very useful for raiding one day, and the enchanter is just plain fun charming stuff with.

Anybody have thoughts about an efficient leveling 3 box that involves an enchanter? What about the current state of Mage pets and AC and melee issues? Any feedback would be appreciated, and if anybody wants to level this weekend PM me!

2. Mithryn

Mithryn Member

It's probably going to be a very long time before all the expansions are done. IMHO, not playing what you find most fun in order to get to max level as efficiently as possible is a mistake here. Use this server to have fun, play what you like, and just "enjoy the ride". Max level will come sooner than you expect and definitely sooner than PoP is released (even if you're only able to play once a week).

3. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

I am slowly raising a Druid (always been my main), an Enchanter, and an SK. Three of my favorite classes. Unfortunately, they are a difficult combo. Paladin/Enchanter can work well. In your case, the Druid may not have to heal, just snare and nuke occasionally.

4. Tarkon

Tarkon Well-Known Member

The mages (and, more importantly, their pets) are so powerful in the classic era that pretty much any 3-box combination involving a mage will level just fine. Especially if one of the two boxes is a healing class. A mage/cleric combo can do pretty much all of the nice loot camps in LGuk, Kedge, SolB, you name it.

5. surron

surron People Like Me

I run cleric ench BL, I can 3 box any camp in classic EQ, and probably any groupable content in the rest of the expansions

I would have swapped the BL for mage (so i could have malo when charming with ench) but SoW is better. Having cleric/ench as duo is great so it comes down to picking a 3rd class. Tha'ts why its either BL / Mage or Bard because the hardest thing to do when charming and 3 boxing is handling charm breaks. With regular pets the pet will gain agro of the mob you are killing so the enchanter only has to deal with 1 mob on charm break (its pet). With a bard it is just mezz rolling the mob you are fighting so if a charm break happens that mob is instantly mezzed, and once again the enchanter only needs to deal with 1 mob on a charm break. Maybe necro for FD pulls (when pacify doent work, which is rare especially in classic EQ) and corpse summons, but imo SoW is better than those options.

6. Tuluvien

Tuluvien I Feel Loved

I've gone ranger, enchanter, cleric for similar reasons. I focus a little more on the ranger as main but find it a very solid grouping.

7. Xanthyn

Xanthyn Member

I am running druid, necro, and Mage, and I find it's been pretty solid so far. My only complaint is that I have no way to split indoor non-undead camps but generally I have the kit I need to handle just about anything.

Hordes of dark blue cons get wrecked by a mage, and the necro and druid DoT's pay off like crazy in long fights against yellow and occasional red mobs. And of course, that druid utility speaks for itself. Just my two copper!

8. Wilshire

Wilshire New Member

I think Mage is going to be awesome regardless for leveling and boxing, and I have to have my chanter, but having a Druid instead of a cleric might be better in the long run for things like Evac, sow, and general utility. I guess I want the cleric to work for rezzes and then being relevant in raids and such. Clicky Rez epic is on my to do list before I die (I mean like... Real life die).

Druids don't get their CH until luclin if I remember correctly. Any thoughts on cleric vs Druid in terms of leveling and then supporting ridiculous charming efforts?

If charming is the route I want to go I'm thinking Druid. They just suck at healing until they catch up with the CH.

9. Wilshire

Wilshire New Member

I was also searching through old posts but didn't get a definite answer on out of range exp like on Al Kabor. Is there any fancy xp tricks to know about like on Al Kabor?

10. Sinnder

Sinnder New Member

I will say this -- I *hate* charm killing without snare. That means one of your boxes (IMHO) should be either ranger or druid. I've got a lot of /played with druid / chanter combo, and I consider it one of the most powerful duos possible.

However, druid as a healer sucks, so I'm adding a cleric for my third choice. I like keeping my pets alive instead of killing them off when they go low health, and a cleric is better at that than a druid.

Druid / ench / cleric gives you nearly all the buffing power you might want, too. Yeah, no shammy buffs, but you've got most of what is important:

-SoW
    -HP Buffs
    -Teleports (less important with the books, but still nice)
    -Healing (twice) and regen
    -Clarity
    -Haste
    -Slows
    -Snare
    -DPS (although other than a hasted, charmed pet, other classes offer better DPS)

Ench is also by far my favorite class for dungeons. (Happy sigh.)

If you aren't going to charm kill, then this combo is weak. (But you can still have great fun as a chanter in dungeon groups.)

11. surron

surron People Like Me

I believe it does work here, there is a post from cavedude somewhere stating AK exp rules are turned on atm.

Druid is my favorite class, but I do not play one here. Snare is not needed when charming at all. Indoor charming especially in lguk, snare would be useless since you can't kite in there. Snare is required for a druid to charm though. Enchanters have pbaoe stuns and runes to combat no snare.

It was really hard to pick cleric over druid (I miss ports) but I did it for rez and a better CH, druid's lvl 63 PoP version is a 4680 CH (75% max) vs clerics 7500, which makes pet tanking named and small raid bosses easier.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
  12. Cerebro

Cerebro Member

If you want to build your group around the chanter its hard to go wrong. You need to decide if you want to charm, buff, and weaponize a pet then stick with it, or if you want to get pet low and charm a new one.

If your keeping 1 pet then you pretty much need a cleric in the long run. From there you can add pretty much what ever you like though some notable mentions: mage - malo is huge for longer lasting charms not to mention the summonables and dps from their pet. Tank - SK or war probably better than the pally/cleric overlap. Sk brings snap agro, FD pulls for where paci wont work, snares. probably better utility, war can tank a bit harder mobs with disc. can really slot most anything here though something like bard rogue monk might be a bit less value.

If you are gonna do the pet swap route your healer can be sham or druid. Sham brings malo which again I think is great. Druid brings snares which are also great if you have the room to make them work. If you want a tank the pally might be a good fit here specially for rezzes. From what I hear pally/chanter/druid is quite strong for lguk farm and will likely be the same for HS. If you are charming dps wont be an issue. If you dont want a tank you can toss in what ever you want as a 3rd again. Chanter/sham/wiz if you want the ports and snare, chanter/druid/mage, chanter sham mage, chanter/sham/necro, chanter/druid/necro.

Basically chanter/priest/what ever fits best with your goals.

PS Chanter/mage/cleric is probably one of the strongest boxes atm able to 3 man anythign short of FGs, naggy, vox, and phinny.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
  13. feret2000

feret2000 New Member

I know this is loads down the line, but back on AK I NEVER used snare on my charm pets (except with the exception of doing the BOT tower bosses). I found it easier to time my color stun if everything was moving at the same speed. This of course, doesn't become an issue if you are grouped with a tank.

14. Sinnder

Sinnder New Member

Snare vs. stuns -- as I said, I hate charming without snare. Maybe I'm just that poor, but inevitably, charm breaks just when I get a double pull of unsnareable mobs and the cleric has thrown a heal at me, causing the two who were chasing me to now head straight for the cleric. In the meantime, the unsnared but buffed and hasted pet is now chasing me around, the cleric is getting his ass handed to him, and...

I like snare. Your milage may vary.

15. Bum

Bum I Feel Loved

On TAK Druids and sham only have 300hp heals... That's 10 heals to cheal my earth pet at 50 :/

16. Wilshire

Wilshire New Member

Update.

So I went clr/enc/mage. Mage pet + enc and cleric buffs = little water minion of doom. It can solo yellow and low red cons. It was hard early on playing three casters cause I kept trying to incorporate the enchanter pet for extra damage, but now the enchanter pet keeps pulling agro off mage pet and gets ground up pretty fast, granted I'm using a low level one so when I get an appropriately leveled enchanter pet I think I will give it a go.

Still learning the ins and outs of pulling with an enchanter and using my pbaoe stuns + mezz for crowd control while the mage slow and steady kills the shit off, I miss my druid and the snare/root combo, I could control anything like that. Once I'm done with Crushbone anyone have any good ideas on where to take my trio next? Hoping I'm about ~15 by then.

17. Tuluvien

Tuluvien I Feel Loved

Unrest is great exp at 15 and even yard trash will net you some pp for spells etc. Befallen is also good exp until 20 but has it's own set of difficulties.

18. necra

necra People Like Me

Cb until 15
    Upper Guk spiders until 20
    Hhk goblins until 30
    Sol a gnomes until 50

Also use only your fire pet the ds is insane

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  19. Rivthis

Rivthis New Member

^^

20. feret2000

feret2000 New Member

unrest is nice between 15-25; I would avoid the hags, they nuke for a LOT

21. Cerebro

Cerebro Member

I played up that same combo as my first 3. View the dead chanter pet as free dps and less healing preassure on your cleric. And ya as others said only use fire pet unless you are killing a named or higher level mob then use earth.

22. Zacharg

Zacharg New Member

New player to the server here. I've played a Pally and rogue on classic and on AK(with shammy and cleric to finish my quad). I think I want to main a rogue, so what are your thoughts on a mage, cleric, rogue trio for leveling from scratch?

My second trio will led by a Pally, but I could use some suggestions for the other two. Shaman? Chanter? Bard? Druid? Any direction would be great!

23. Cerebro

Cerebro Member

mage/cleric/rogue should be fine though I might use earth pet with mage DS rather than fire pet as fire pet will break roots and get agro onto the rogue. earth pet will get you more bang for your buck with the clerics CHs too at 39+ when stuff starts to hit a lot harder.

pally/druid/chanter or pally/shaman/dps both work great. Personally I find bards require too much attention for a 3box but I know others make it work.

24. Zacharg

Zacharg New Member

Thank you for the advice! All I need now is to find more free time to get started, haha.