Other servers.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Speedz, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Speedz

Speedz Administrator Staff Member

Let me start off by saying it is just not cool to advertise other servers on any particular server forum.
    I don't care what server it is, p99 has been quite relaxed with mentions of other servers, but that was up to them to allow it.
    I want no one here advertising this server on there nor on the new server that pops up.
    Just as I don't want anyone doing it here on our forums. Word of mouth is substantial enough.

If anyone should feel they enjoy any server, it should be posted on a server neutral site.
    Places like Rerolled or Eqemu are completely server neutral, as well as #peqmac on irc.

Let me further explain #peqmac. This channel on irc is for the codebase.
    The ops there are specifically the founders of this codebase and that is it.
    Since TAKP was the only server up till recently, it was a direct line to TAKP staff as well as the core team for peqmac.

The TAKP team which consists largely of the peqmac team supports multiple servers being up.
    There is NO reason to chastise or belittle anyone trying to run another server.
    All we ask is to share work and give credit due.
    (Like when we offer bits of sql directly that were missing from the repo to get a certain loginserver to play nice?)
    If you use our database and code, share back code and content development.
    Afterall, your server is based off collective years of our efforts as well, for nothing.

Things like Account management and server security are the only areas that we don't share and never expect from others.
    Those should for obvious reasons, be closed source. So, even tho a server was born out of hostility and strife, there is no reason to
    think that we are against it. Also no reason players should be forced to feel they are not welcome on either or more servers.
    This is EverQuest, not a playground with a line down the middle.

The single largest area of agreement with other server staff I have is, when a code base is correct,
    the only things that need changing is lua and pathing/spawns.
    But the code base is not up to snuff yet. For a solid EQ experience the AC, mitigation, loot drop code, and pets are WAY off.
    These and making sure no exploits/easy mode drop/spawns are the ONLY reasons I personally hesitate on content release.
    Not some magical narcissistic overlord desire for "my guild" to catchup.

So I am giving a shout out to the new server and anyone else. If you have solved the AC, mitigation, pets, and loot code.
    It's only ethical to share back on this.
    Otherwise, you shotgun expansions with these out of wack you'll get alot of complaints if the userbase you get does not like it.
    I want any good quality server with this codebase to succeed. I do hope this is understood.
    Our community is not a singular entity. Everyone likes a different play style that only multiple servers can support.

2. Numb287

Numb287 New Member

I'm not sure if you read the p99 thread speedz but both Furst and Wharhogg posted.

Wharhogg : Cd is welcome to anything he wants. Much love and respect to Cd and all he does

Furst: our lead developer sat down with CD for about an hour before we started our project, and they already talked about contributing.

So I'm not really sure where this come from.

3. Speedz

This wasn't a post out of hostility, quite the opposite really.
    Rob told me of something that he was uneasy about as far as a player posting other server advertisements or whatnot.
    I didn't see it but I thought I'd just put this out there as a clear mention of the air that we hope players and server admins can be on the same page on. There is no need to have hostilities or server <> server drama.
    We all enjoy the game and this project was designed to allow everyone to either play or make a server with full blessing of those that contributed and continue to contribute as long as full credit is given to all involved. The core team is more than the sum of it's parts.

4. Elrontaur

Elrontaur People Like Me

Am I to understand part of our dev team has split off and is starting another server based on TAKP?

5. Tollen

Tollen Member

yes and no.

Yes cause DB is open source.

No cause none of them have anything directly to do with "server which will not be named"

6. Rivthis

Rivthis New Member

So cryptic, feel like I have 20 pieces to the puzzle in the right place but 280 still need to be put into the picture.

/shrug

back to making the GF happy so I can get back to playing.

7. Korbendallas

Korbendallas New Member

Cryptic/10 would read again.

Honestly I have no idea what's going on other than I guess people who played here left because they were mad at something I guess... And some folks of the project team also left but I'm so confused.

Im 13 and what is this

8. Speedz

The core dev team is still here. Sometimes we take breaks, but nothing has changed there.