Cyclops getting into boat in OOT? Anyone remember this?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Yinn Yang, Feb 23, 2015.

1. Yinn Yang

Yinn Yang People Like Me

One of my most vivid memories from early EQ was riding the boat from East Freeport to BB and thinking I would be safe as long as I stayed onboard. When we arrived at Sister Island (first stop), a Cyclops came up seemingly thru the hull of the boat and started slaughtering all the lowbies onboard. Does anyone recall this happening? I seem to remember it was a very rare occurrence, but no fun when it happened. I never could figure out if he randomly pathed over to the dock or if someone trained him over there... I just remember being very nervous every time we stopped at the Sister Island dock from then on.

Good times :D

2. Tibiseus

Tibiseus New Member

Boko Horam just instructed all Cyclops to jihad boats and The Mall of America. :lol:

3. Tesadar

Tesadar Active Member

I have been slain by sharks, and cyclops on the boat many years ago. Truly isnt fun at all :p

4. Yinn Yang

Yinn Yang People Like Me

LOL, so true :lol:

But I hate to say, if it was occurring in original EQ, it should probably be true here too. I recall having an interesting time finding my corpse because I had no idea where it would end up if I was slain on a boat. I believe it was in a very odd spot at the bottom of the ocean, bard located it for me I think. This was long before the days of retaining items upon death before level 10... even at level 5, you'd lose your stuff if you didn't get it back.

Thinking the Cyclops' path should randomly include the Sister Island dock ;)

5. Trosh

Trosh New Member

That's not the purpose of this project, for the most part. It's to re-create the EQ Mac server. They are doing progression for 2 reasons, 1. It's easier to work on small parts at a time 2. It's neato. Stuff like PoK being open and out of era quests being available are there for the same reasons, as well as certain items being changed out of launch-classic. I mean.. PoK is open, being a true classic experience isn't what this server is aiming for. Personally I would like to see some classic stuff, but random deaths in the middle of the ocean isn't one of them!

6. Yinn Yang

Yinn Yang People Like Me

Well, the AK server was locked in to about mid-2003, so the Cyclops wandering around Sister Island would have still been in place. From what I saw while playing on AK for a few years, the pathing and everything else was virtually identical to the PC servers during that time period (2003ish). In any case, that's why I asked if anyone recalls this. I was on Lanys T'Vyl in 2000 when this happened to me, and I know another lowbie character I made had the same thing occur in about 2002... but again, on a PC server. I'd bet good money that the same thing occurred on AK when it first cranked up and all the way until sunset, but I only rode the OOT boat a few times while on AK and never encountered the Cyclops... but again, it was a fairly rare occurrence.

So by "original EQ", what I mean to say is early EQ (to me that means 1999-2004ish)

7. sourdiesel

sourdiesel Active Member

Cyclops shouldn't path in water under a boat.

Bugs should be fixed, not implemented.

I can just imagine all the headaches from petitions the GMs would get if this was implemented.