Camps.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by proge48, Feb 10, 2015.

1. proge48

proge48 New Member

I'm wanting to know what this server defines a "CAMP" as. I looked at the rules 101 and did not see it listed there.

To me in order to camp a mob or set of mobs, you should have to be near by if not in the same room as said mobs, and actively killing them.

(reason I say actively killing them is because someone that is AFK for an hour should not be able to hold said camp down.)

Reason why I'm asking is because I was in High keep pulling guards down to 1st floor after clearing said floor. I started to pull mobs from 2nd floor (which the floor was fully spawned) Now a guy sent me a tell saying it was camped. after I had cleared 80% of the floor. I say ok, and move back to floor 1 and start killing the respawns. and about 1min before 2nd floor respawns I get a tell from the guy saying I hope I die because I killed his floor.
    (Note I said 1 min before his floor respawned, meaning his floor was fully spawned when i came into the zone I cleared floor 1 and then moved up, and cleared all of floor 1 again before he even knew his floor was cleared!)

Just would like a clear ruling on what is defined as a camp, because I don't see how someone can camp something but not kill anything for over 30min.

2. outerspace

outerspace New Member

Had a similar situation awhile back, also in Highkeep. All the goblins were up with a less than full group standing there not active. When I inquired they stated that Gobs were camped and there were no empty spots because they were "waiting for guildies." Well, they "waited" for about a half hour from my recollection -- just standing there. I let it go at the time and moved on to other things, no biggie really. Your post did remind of that though, and I do wonder if there is not some form of etiquette that should be expected in situations like these.

3. Korbendallas

Korbendallas New Member

I think and hope most issues on this server will not be handled by rule lawyers. I think the solution should be to ask yourself "am I being a cunt" and if the answer is yes, you need to leave. This means sharing a zone with someone else who wants to exp (my God I know it's horrible to think of) or even group with them.

I'm not saying OP was in the wrong at all here, just my general thoughts on issues like this. The guy upstairs should have asked himself that one important question.

4. Tollen

Tollen Member

this is always kinda gray area for some people, even SoE had hard time defining "camp" or enforcing it.

I have held "camps" like frenzy and only kill 3-4 mobs while doing it. now if someone wanted to come down and xp off the other mobs I wouldn't have a problem with that but when CC is called and I say frenzy that never comes up.

The guard situation is odd, I would have questioned the player more to find out what his issue was.

The gob group is kinda the same but smaller camp to police. it wasn't a full group so maybe they didn't feel able to take on the camp until the guildies showed up. and Didn't want to loss the spot.

I bring up the frenzy camp cause In my mind, if you are at a camp (not afk for long time) what you do with the camp is up to you. if you watched the gob group and say an hour or more go's by and no killing, id start pulling myself. but 30 mins is not beyond unreasonable for someone to travel from pok to HHK ( they die in kith and have to wait for day and do CR ect ).

just my 2cp

5. Tibiseus

Tibiseus New Member

For what it's worth...

Back in ye ole day a "Camp" was considered: Human Ragefire & Phinny iirc. Logs dictated the outcome of these camp squabbles. If you petitioned any other regular camps, it was ignored. The status of a camp was determined by those that hold it (keep it clear), leave it (Including AFKs) or contest it (share it or take it). Of course, the contest part can get ugly, but we all make choices. In summary, the law of the land was keep camp cleared, use /tells to negotiate or get out. Simple.

Booya

6. Sturmm

Sturmm Well-Known Member

I was one of the ones at this goblin camp, and I was the one who replied about waiting for guildies. You were very considerate, and in truth we were waiting for guildies who, iirc, had gone LD upon zoning and were trying to log back in to join us. Myself and the one(s) who were there were incapable of killing the goblins at that time by ourselves, but when we had logged in the camp was open (no one was there) so we put out the "all call" to our guild who were then enroute. I *THINK* your level and our level were too far apart to group as well, if I'm remembering correctly.
    In real life I was fidgeting like crazy because I didn't want to "keep" the camp while not killing anything, and I didn't want to hold anyone else up, and when they arrived I was relived. Again, you were very nice and considerate and it was appreciated!

7. Suriinya

Suriinya Well-Known Member

On Rallos, the server had a simple rule: If you could defend a camp, it was yours. Of course that wouldn't work here, because you and your group couldn't charge in and kill the other group to take the camp away. But man, did that make AFK campers a tasty treat.

8. Elrontaur

Elrontaur People Like Me

Everyone is treated as an adult until proven otherwise. Use the lessons you learned in Kindergarten and share your toys. There are plenty of mobs to 'camp' in just about every zone of the game. Claim your camp, but be reasonable about sharing it if you aren't actively using it. Naturally this doesn't apply if you aren't an adult, or can't act like one. That being said, I'm happy to report that most players on the server have been quite reasonable about sharing camps, mobs, etc...

9. Bum

Bum I Feel Loved

Can I has your toys?

10. Speedz

Speedz Administrator Staff Member

This ^

But the example here about the Gob camp is pretty good in showing what types of players we have for the most part.
    People go LD, Also there is travel to consider (Tanks don't have gate remember?) :)

This is a difficult one for the staff to try to even think to enforce. But my personal view is xp camps should be a bit more relaxed as far as camp holding.
    Give it an hour or so and check back if toons are there and actually communicating with you. If you try to talk to toons sitting afk at a camp and get no reply in a reasonable time (say 30mins) I can't consider that camp taken honestly.

All in all Korbendallas said it pretty spot on. The choice of words is a bit colorful but suffice it to say I think it fits both sides of the story here.

Afterthought: I remember group waiting lists on every EQ server I have ever been on. Especially on my necro on PC and my chanter on AK. I started to think that my Necro on both PC and AK were on friends lists just to get a group wait list spot for what ever group I was in. Not that I am tooting my own horn, but I did get alot of razing for having 36 to 70 hour xp runs that would cycle group members constantly. I always had stable groups and being a necro could hold nearly any camp solo. :)

11. Faults

Faults I Feel Loved

One thing to remember is that certain camps (not gobs in HHK basement) has 29m or so respawns and people have hte ability to afk between them, so it may be 28m before you get a tell back IF they see your tell. When in doubt be patient and respectful.

12. Speedz

Speedz Administrator Staff Member

Very true. great point.

13. Korbendallas

Korbendallas New Member

This. When I camped spectres in Oasis, I would clear 4-5, then run around my neighborhood. The respawn is like 14 minutes which gave me time to run the .75 mile, get back in, rebuff, and resume. I do the same with longer camps, anything over 20 minute respsawn I'm doing at least 2 laps.

So yes, people definitely AFK between spawns

14. Elrontaur

Elrontaur People Like Me

MINE MINE GIMME! ;)

15. Swish

Swish Member

There are no camps in EverQuest, Verant declared at one point... it was a community run thing where players respected other players killing certain mobs.

16. Trosh

Trosh New Member

Yeah, that was Verant's way of saying "we aren't going to take the time to enforce this" but camps definitely existed. Generally player enforcement was more than enough, just be polite. If a camp is taken especially now with the low server population you can almost always find a different camp elsewhere.

From my experience there are two types of camps: Gear farming and Exp camps. In almost all cases they are pretty far away from the next camp, and people who play nowadays know what the boundaries are. Generally people don't just camp 1 mob, though - they place their casters in a safe spot nearby and pull the area surrounding it. It is when two groups pulling area overlaps that you begin to have issues.

It depends on the activity level and makeup of the group, though. If someone is camping the assassin in Lguk for example, they may only be able to handle that small room, but if they are a larger or higher level group they may kill all the way down to the savant below them. I would consider that a camp, as long as they can successfully kill all the enemies without taking extended breaks. The issue would be if someone else was camping sage or crusader and also wanted to take out the savant, but another group was already pulling that area.

I'm not sure what the etiquette is for a higher level killing a named in an exp area for a drop. Generally I would think that exp>loot especially because the higher level person can always move to a different loot camp, and arguably the lower levels could probably use the loot more, but at the same time if you've spent 5 hours staring at a corner in a dungeon you won't want to move any time soon.

Annoyingly there is no 10 word sentence or definition of a camp, and it can change depending on the situation. I think I can speak for most people by saying generally "If someone (or some people) is actively killing an area, either join them, get on a list, wait them out, or go somewhere else."