Food consumption

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by solar, Oct 14, 2023.

1. solar

solar Administrator Staff Member

I have been researching how food/water works. I looked through client decompiles and packet logs and feel like I got it figured out now. It doesn't look like it has changed on live EQ either, except they have 2 more levels of Innate Metabolism AA.

AutoEat timer from client
    46000 ms base - 96600/103500/115000ms with AA
    92000 ms (double) for monk class - 193200/207000/230000ms with AA
    The timer controls how frequently the client tries to auto eat and prints the out of food/drink messages.
    The server timer should be the same - each period 32 units of fullness are consumed, 96 if mounted. The timers and consumption are the same for every race.
    SE_Hunger spell effect sets fullness to 3500 if it's less than that. This prevents auto eating because it happens before that check.
    Auto eating happens when the fullness goes below 3000.
    Auto eating food adds CastTime * 100 to the fullness, but only CastTime * 50 if force eaten by right clicking.
    Force feeding can only fill you to 6000 but auto eating can go up higher so large foods like MTP aren't wasted.
    You can only force eat when below 6000 but can be up to 32000 fullness on both food and water.
    Being a GM or BecomeNPC sets fullness to 32000.
    Consumption does not increase in desert zones (south/north ro tested).
    To regenerate either hitpoints or mana, both food and drink fullness need to be above 0.

I'm also working on getting the yellow fatigue bar to work better.

Pithy, kicnlag, Cadsuane and 9 others like this.
  2. Kuron

Kuron People Like Me

Do the Metabolism AAs effect both food AND water consumption, or just food?

I could swear every character I have purchased that AA on goes through water like crazy but always has food now.

3. solar

I just rewrote it to work how I described but the current version on TAKP is not right - I think cavedude just put in things based on what people suggested but didn't have time to research it in detail. Metabolism AA affects the timer and so it affects the rate of consumption on both food and water, after next patch.

4. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

I think mounts use more water here currently, before these changes. Also desert zones use more water. Looks like that's not correct. Thank you Solar for taking the time to research and implement this.

5. nworbetan

nworbetan Member

6. solar

Yes that's correct. An auto eaten Misty Thicket Picnic can last for a full real time day on a monk with level 3 of the AA.

7. Sverder

Sverder Well-Known Member

I thought halflings were supposed to consume food at a higher rate. Or was that just a long held EQ myth?

8. solar

I think it was a myth but cavedude coded it into eqemu based on suggestions on this forum so they really do on TAKP.

Kithani and Manstache like this.
  9. Tuluvien

Tuluvien I Feel Loved

I usually buy iron rations and stacks of water. The iron rations are higher quality and so from my perspective I'm forever running out of water. Gives me the feeling that I consume water faster but it's an illusion. At least in my case!

Frosst likes this.
  10. Kithani

Kithani Well-Known Member

You gotta get on the Fish Rolls n Fuzzlecutter train.

It's like flying first class, you can't go back once you try it once.

Frosst, Mukk and Tuluvien like this.
  11. Kuron

Kuron People Like Me

Awesome! Thank you so much for your hard work and research on this!

12. Mukk

Mukk People Like Me

1 million percent this. Your baking skill will be at the trivial in no time, for about what it costs for a few rounds of rations.

13. kai4785

kai4785 People Like Me

Rejoice!

But really? That's a myth? I'm very surprised.

Can I get a refund on all that extra Lembas Bread I previously over gurgitated?

Last edited: Oct 15, 2023
  14. Break

Break People Like Me

Have you looked at the logic behind being too full to eat?

I'm going off memory, but it feels like you are too full too often. Here, I am often too full to force-feed myself despite not having eaten in a long while. I don't recall naturally eating food ever making a character too full to eat.

I cannot say this with 100% certainty. I don't have a single log to back up my claim. It just feels off to me. Perhaps I just have access to better food here than I did on AK.

Can anyone who was really into baking on AK chime in here?

15. benoeb

benoeb People Like Me

Can we haz now pwease?