Another newbie!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ChaoticJohari, Apr 29, 2023.

1. ChaoticJohari

ChaoticJohari Member

Hey everyone! Recently decided my life was going too well so I thought I’d completely side track myself with an MMO! I have very, very little Everquest experience except from when I was a child. Currently trying to figure out which of these legacy projects I want to join! And before you say it, yes I did read the intro thread and yes it does have a ton of good info.

My biggest issue is lack of knowledge, and from my understanding EQ doesn’t really hold your hand at all, so my biggest concern is…with everyone boxing do people still interact with each other? Could I find someone who’d take me under their wing and point me in the right directions? (Not give me free s***)

I don’t care how big the community is, just how interactive. Even if I played solo most of the time is there usually a decent amount of conversation going on?

and then…of course…as always…there’s the “what trio is right for me” question. After a quick bit of digging I was thinking Necro/Druid/Enchanter, Necro/SK/Cleric or Necro/Shaman/Enchanter.

Necro is the one I’d want to “main” so any additional advice?

Appreciate the time in advance!

DubRemix88 and CTroi like this.
  2. CTroi

CTroi Member

Welcome to TAKP, ChaoticJohari! The server-wide chat channel is wonderful and usually there is chatter going on there. Good place to ask questions as you are playing and people are very helpful answering. I have been on TAKP for only 4 months, and love it! And I love that your main will be a necro! They are so much fun!

3. pivoo

pivoo People Like Me

You need to /autojoin alliance (or something similar, it has been a while since I used this command, you only need to do it once) and you will join chat that goes across the server and that is where you can ask you questions. Most of the time, there is chatter going on.

At least for lower levels, you probably will play mostly solo. Well depends, check who is playing in your level range, and send a tell. /w all 5 10 will list characters between 5 and 10 levels.

I will let others answer about the trio, I don't have necro. But generally, any trio should be ok, since with trio you have a small army :D

The one thing to consider is, how involved you are willing to be. There are trio that needs lots of attention, (APM - actions per minute) and other much less. Necro on it's own needs more attention. Of the three, (I'm new in EQ world too and quite clueless) Necro/SK/Cleric may need least APM of the three you mentioned? Also, this trio would be specialized for undeads.

Players usually ends up getting another character, then another, and soon you have a big army. For this reasons, they like to start with druid, since it is easy to later power level another character.

One of the first things you want to do is, to find your way to PoK, at DB (dark bank) and bind there your characters. There are casted frequent MGBs (mass global buffs) or whatever they are called, that will give your small trio super powers. You will level faster. (but this way you will neglect some skill, that will be under leveled, just make sure you at some point work on catching up)

No gear you could get (and some it is frequently being given away for free at DB, that would help you as much as these MGB's.

Typically fast XP line here is Field of Bones and then at 4-5 (if buffed) or 8-9 (if unbuffed) to Kurns Tower. Next zone with great XP is Paludial Caverns, you can go there from Kurns between 16-20. You could actually do all your 1-24 in PC. I sometimes do if Kurns is already taken.

The biggest problem when you start is plat for the spells. Especially with MGB's, you will be in teens in no time and there will just not be enough plat. I remember I was just buying the most important spells.

Search forum, there are few threads about plat. But generally, in FoB is small cave with few spiderlings level 3-4, they are social, so you want to be around 4-5 (unless buffed) they drop spiderling silk that is used for TS and you can sell it. While same frown upon advertising sales in alliance, and would prefer, to use designated trader in bazaar for it, you really can't wait few days for your silk to sell. Advertise you are new on the server and you are selling silk to get plat for first spells and someone will buy them of you and you may get better price and maybe even some weapon on top of it. Depends of your luck.

At around level 10-11, your trio could farm shadeling silk, that sells for around 40p per piece. Somewhere way north in starting zone Shadeweaver's Thicket. You will also get XP for your level. There are couple plat threads mention this and generally how/where to get plat.

If you are in no rush to level up, but would rather take time, enjoy the game, I suggest you check about beginner armor. Armor on it's own is not bad, and one player will pay you 1000plat (10,000 gold) for it, which will cover all your needs for quite a while.

One more thing. Say you are somewhere far away, bellow level 10 and you see MGB announcement. Since your characters were bind in PoK (don't forget to do this) just let them die and you will be ported to PoK. Bellow level 10 you don't lose XP and you don't need to loot your corpse.

Ahh, and welcome to TAKP, you will have fun here... (too much fun actually)

Last edited: Apr 29, 2023
  4. pivoo

pivoo People Like Me

About APM's, one thing that took me a while to find out is, you can have two of your characters on auto-follow and if you switch over to say cleric for a heal, and you cast a heal spell, cleric will keep auto-follow. Which makes it for a great play experience, you have MGB buffed trio, main guy moves around, attacks the mobs, takes a beating and other two are on auto follow and help with heals, assist with nukes, pets and all this time they keep auto-follow main character.

I didn't know this, and I was typically standing in some corner, (actually it was near zone line for safety :D) pulling mobs there, one at a time and I had macro, that make sure my healer first stood up, cast heal then sit down for faster mana regeneration. But when is your trio MGB buffed up, mana regens fast enough and your casters don't need to sit, which does breaks auto-follow. I loved it, when I (finally!) realized I can just run around, cast nukes and heals and buffs and my other two characters stayed on auto-follow. But I was a complete noob (and I'm still the clumsiest player on the server!) at EQ and never ever before did any multi boxing.

I think I was in Crystal Caverns, hunting geodes, when I finally learned that small tiny bar under character HP bar (in group window) is it's pets HP bar. OMG! I was until then keep switching the screens just to check on pet's HP! Talk about increased APM! (and blood pressure)

Last edited: Apr 29, 2023
  5. ChaoticJohari

ChaoticJohari Member

Thank you so much for the responses here! I really appreciate it. The tips on plat are definitely helpful, Pivoo! I'm glad you both have found TAKP to be your home. Hopefully I find the same!

6. ChaoticJohari

ChaoticJohari Member

So I think I'm going to start with a "root rot" trio of Necro, Druid, and Shaman. Necro's and Shaman's have always interested me, and druid seems the best support for those two! Just spent all day trying to read as much as I can, and get my HotKeyNet set up along with some beginner macros. Going to make the toons now, and then try to make my way to Field of Bone! Thank you again for the tips, Pivoo and CTroi! I hope to see you online in game! My necro's name will be Johari if you ever want to give me a shout.

pivoo, Tuluvien, CTroi and 1 other person like this.
  7. CTroi

CTroi Member

I hope to catch you online sometime. Would love to hear how your trio is going. Sounds very interesting! =) I'm currently unable to play much, as I am out of town and will be for some time... I miss my double monitors, and being on a laptop isn't as easy... Yes, I am spoiled! haha

8. The Shade

The Shade Active Member

Another fairly easy trio for (fear)kiting that doesn't require gear is: Nec/Bst/Mag. Essentially, the nec/bst could alternate with maintaining the agro while others med. The mage does a nuke or 2 while the pets do a large chunk of the damage... or Mag/Bst nukes while Nec snares and fears/maintains agro. Good amount of manaless/APS DPS with that trio from pets. It can be dicey with only Bst/Nec for weak PC heals, if you get hit... which you shouldn't since you have snare and SoW. Another strat up to a point is that Mag can heal it's own pet or the Bst's, but Bst can only heal it's own pet.

9. Saenayil

Saenayil People Like Me

Necros can hold their own solo at pretty much every level. I'd encourage you to begin with just the necro, and add other chars later once you have a better feel for the game.

CTroi likes this.
  10. Neealana

Neealana People Like Me

Consider well before naming your trio.
    Chaobeast, Chaonecro, Chaodruid,etc will not earn you brownie points from anyone trying to target you . ;=)

Frosst likes this.
  11. ChaoticJohari

ChaoticJohari Member

I did see this advice all over the forum, so their names don’t even start with the same letter let alone the same phrase. :)

CTroi and Neealana like this.