Swap Mage for Melee?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kabouter, Nov 24, 2021.

1. Reacshion

Reacshion New Member

Rockhoppers don't require aimlessly running around look for mobs either since they're all static spawns, I hate hill giants for that reason. I think the plat is slightly less at rockhoppers but much more relaxing. Just make sure not to kill "An Age Old Rockhopper" or it flips the cave over to the humanoids that give you worse exp and absolutely no plat.

Kabouter likes this.
  2. prattrs

prattrs Active Member

This.

I guess the other thing would be to think about the blind on pull possibility. E.g. if you are pulling the first two caves as a train, you'll need to have a plan for what to do if immobilized by blind in the caves. My solution was to buff MR and get some cheap MR gear from the baz for the WAR. The other solution is to carefully crawl it so you can always see your melee with the other toons and thus steer a bit while blind.

3. Kabouter

Kabouter Member

A small update from my end. So I continued with my SK for now (level 33) and I must say I don't regret swapping my mage for a melee character.
    Just being able to take and keep aggro is so nice and something that was hard for my mage pet. Definitely feel like my trio is less squishy this way and while DPS isn't that high with just the SK tanking, throw in a couple of nukes from the druid and the enchanter and it isn't all bad.

If I had to do it again I would have stuck with the Paladin though, group heals, hp buffs and rez seems more useful then a little bit more damage and snare. Corpse summons are nice, but not available until level 51. Who knows 1 day if the server resets.

Thanks for your help and input!

Tecmos.Deception and Pithy like this.
  4. Kabouter

Kabouter Member

Figured I'll give you guys another update. Level 45 now and more and more regretting not choosing a pally over a SK.

Charm damage just starts kicking in more and more and a paladin would be more useful to complement this, another thing that sucks is that my SK starts lagging behind because of the racial xp penalty...

Only thing I would really miss are the aggro generation spells and the snare.

Anyways if anyone is thinking of SK vs PAL go for the latter ;).

5. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

Its all about your play style I guess. My first 3 box was SK, Dru, Enc. I rarely charmed and just nuked/slowed/etc with chanter. I've said it before in other threads (perhaps even this one), I found the need to summon corpses much more needed than rezzes until I got into the 50's. At that point I just leveled up a cleric as a rez bot. SK allows splitting mobs with your group where pacify wouldn't work too.

Can't blame the hybrid penalty on SK's. There were other, easier on the eyes, racial options!

6. Smudge

Smudge People Like Me

I use a SK/Ench/Clr combo for charming and enjoy it plenty. Pally I think gets bigger upgrades in PoP, though I think the SK is still quite fine.

7. Auyster

Auyster People Like Me

SK is better for the charming lifestyle as during pulls where the charm breaks, SK can just feign so you can focus on the chanter.

8. badpoet

badpoet Member

Bard that heals, really.

9. Kabouter

Kabouter Member

What are you talking about Ogre surely is the easiest on the eyes. Too bad he is blocking the mobs which makes crowd control a bit harder. I never had the need for a summon corpse yet, however doesnt the low level summon corpse spell only work up to level 30?
    But yeah I might powerlevel my lvl.30 cleric to lvl 49 for that 90% rez at one point. I find myself charming all the time now, just much more fun and a lot faster. But when enemies are spread out/ there arent enough of them I drop charming and just nuke/slow with the enchanter and heal/dot with the druid.

Yes I don't think it is a huge difference, but I just feel that as a combo for charming the Paladin slightly pulls ahead. Only thing I wonder is how much mana they need, with a SK we get very mana efficient aggro. Paladin's heals aren't really easy on their mana pool. Right now my SK is never medding (only has enchanter Clarity) and it is fine really.

True and that way I'll also fix the issue of the racial exp penalty and the enchanter pulling ahead in levels of my SK ;).

10. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

Lvl 25 summon will summon up to 35
    The lvl 51 summon will let you summon up to 65
    There is a blackout range, but I found I needed it occasionally and it was a nice peace of mind.

Kabouter likes this.
  11. anotheregostar

anotheregostar Well-Known Member

Yeah, SK is significantly more DPS than a pally, especially if you use your pet. But stuns are nice, and so are the spot heals, and LoH is a nice oh shit button when your druids CHeal isn't going to land in time. For the rezzes, I found they were easier to find, and leveling a cleric rezbot wasn't too bad =)

But as Mokli was implying, there is only one correct choice for SK race, and it's blue.

12. Jakkoris

Jakkoris Member

Pal/Enc/Dru is very very strong.

bit of a hard patch between 50-58 with the crap Druid heals

Fun fact:
    Symbol 700hp
    Brells 330hp
    Pot9 618hp 109ac 8mana per tick
    Bulwak 125ac

Total up: 1648hp 234ac 8mana per tick.

takes 4 spell slots but that’s what you can stack for hps at 65 with that trio

Virtue is 1400hp and 240ac?

lot more buff stacking with the pal/Dru/chanter combo but it’s workable.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2022