Trading section

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Shaitan, Jan 6, 2015.

1. Shaitan

Shaitan New Member

Any downside to adding one of these in the general section?

2. pharmakos

pharmakos People Like Me

trading/auction forum would be nice imo.

3. Yinn Yang

Yinn Yang People Like Me

I have a Sceptre of Destruction I'd like to sell ;)

4. Swish

Swish Member

Is selling accounts for in game platinum going to be legal?

5. pharmakos

pharmakos People Like Me

i sure hope not

6. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

^

7. Neopolitan

Neopolitan Member

I think it would be a deal breaker for a lot of people.

8. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

Couldn't do it on live legally, why should it be allowed here?

9. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

I'm not sure if I see the harm in allowing platinum-based account selling. There's only one server, the plat isn't going elsewhere. The economy can't really be hurt by it, nothing is lost or added. It's not like we can get transfers from other servers or anything.

I only bring up that idea because the rules only specifically state real money trades being a no-no.

10. robregen

robregen Administrator Staff Member

We won't facilitate plats for in game account trade. Accounts are forum account bounds. If we allow this, we have to do account move and we don't want to do that.

11. pharmakos

pharmakos People Like Me

you must not have played on Project1999 during the era of account sales for platinum.

12. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

This. There are a few problems especially here since you can box.

1. The big one for me. Selling an account for platinum allows you to shed your reputation and buy up an anon account. Some stupid people would always behave the same way so it wasn't easy for them to hide... But being able to just sell off your main, and buy a new persona is bad.

You could retire your character and reroll a twink sure. But it's a lot more time invested. And it's muh more difficult than just shelling over some plat.

2. People begin powerleveling boxed toons to sell. This is annoying because when plat is involved usually the worst comes from people. Do you remember people who would PL in Highkeep on Al'Kabor? They were extremely hated. Generally due to low population it wasn't a big deal since PLers could go to other locations. But there were some very angry tirades in alliance several times due to players PLing in popular locations.

3. RMT. It will happen. Even more so if this is allowed.

Allowing this behavior would be make or break for me. No one ever sold an account on Al'Kabor for plat. No one should be allowed to do so here.

13. Mithryn

Mithryn Member

Well said.

14. Sketchy

Sketchy People Like Me

Well said Darchon. Its great to have some of you p99'ers here to provide opinions on stuff like this.

15. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

Well said Darchon. Selling accounts for plat would break it for me as well.

In the end, this is an open source project. When it becomes stable enough, anyone can setup their own server anyway they like.

16. Speedz

Speedz Administrator Staff Member

We encourage anyone that has the time and skills to fire up a server now and help out with the code.
    And yes, account trades will never be allowed or facilitated by the staff in any form under any circumstances.
    I won't even transfer toons among supposed spouse/brother/sister/roomate/dogs's accounts.

17. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

I didn't see that robregen had posted. But it seems safe here!

The account sales period on P99 was very dumb. So many people sold off their characters which they had ninja looted, kill stole, trained, guild jumped and every other form of douchebaggery. Then they bought up someone's level 50 mage which they soloed up and never spoke a word to someone else. Essentially buying a clean slate.

Reputation is an important aspect of EQ play. How you are viewed, especially in a tight knit community, is very important. It determines if people will sell to you, group with you, raid/guild invite you... And it determines how you interact with others.

People very quickly learned this on AK especially when the PC hack was released. Partially due to a more isolationist / anti-PC-hack-client crowd on Al'Kabor... But mostly because people who came to the server thought they would be welcomed when they continued behaving like they had on P99. This ended poorly for many of them.

I hope the same value is placed on reputation here. Those who automate, exploit, train, hack and RMT should face the same isolation that they faced on Al'Kabor.

18. sourdiesel

sourdiesel Active Member

While I have no moral problems with account trading for platinium it can't be done here.

Every user is only allowed ONE forum account with THREE login accounts.

You can't just change your forum account or make a new one at will. I also don't see the GMs here xfering login accounts to different forum accounts.

19. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

I was unaware of this rule? Where is it posted? Cause I made a second account with 3 other logins.

I only play 3 at a time because I knew that the IP limit was 3. But I wasn't aware you weren't allowed to make more than one forum account.

I just liked having the versatility from Al'Kabor of having characters on separate accounts so I could mix and match as I saw fit. Running into the issue where you want two characters from the same account online simultaneously was annoying. Plus I had a ton of mules on a few pack rat accounts.

I'll happily delete the characters/accounts if that's against the rules I guess. I just didn't see it in the Rules 101 post when I read through it.

20. Tollen

Tollen Member

I also would like more info on this

21. Tarkon

Tarkon Well-Known Member

I just want to pipe in and say I hope no account trading will be permitted. Others have cited the shortcomings of that. I like that everyone has no more than 3 accounts and that reputations mean something.

22. Speedz

It is in here viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9 But I should add it clearly in the rules. Thanks for bringing this up.
    Clarification is a good thing.

Edit:
    Added to rule 12 for clarification based off of the F.A.Q.
    Added rule 16b per this topic.

23. sourdiesel

sourdiesel Active Member

It is most certainly agianst the rules as to my understanding. If I am wrong GM please correct me and I will make another forum account asap for more login accounts.

24. sourdiesel

sourdiesel Active Member

Ignore last post.

Should number those rules though for easy access.

25. Speedz

Rules are numbered, the F.A.Q. entries aren't.

26. Wrex

Wrex New Member

Is there a reason we can't own more than 3 accounts? I personally like 1 character per account, so this limit is kinda terrible.
    Alternatively, is there a way to have our ability to create game accounts on our forum account increased to like 10?
    As others have stated, never have more than 3 toons in game at a time. I just hate having a ton of toons on one account.

27. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

This would be my sentiment.

When I played on Al'Kabor I played mostly during the FTP era, so I had probably 12 accounts, 9~ with characters I played on them and 3 mule accounts (mule accounts had 8 toons each generally... I was a packrat).

It was very nice to have that flexibility. In rare cases I liked having weird combinations of characters on, ones that I would likely put on the same account here.

Plus having a druid main I would generally PL my own toons and putting any toons on the druid's account removes that ability (unless I create a second druid). Same with cleric's and rez.

Is the primary reason behind this to limit to 3-boxing? I was figuring IP-Limits would be serverside that would prevent a 4th client from entering the server.

28. sourdiesel

sourdiesel Active Member

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1677&hilit=login+accounts

We already had this discussion and got shot down.

The primary reason stated was that it was to enforce the 3box limit and that it was too much work.

I am personally in favor of keeping the 3box limit but adding more login accounts.

Additionally, the character xfer tool would be great right about now as I just had to create a cleric on my 50 shaman account lol.