The New Kids

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nimbles, Apr 2, 2021.

1. Nimbles

Nimbles Member

Heya! I'm Nim and I've been playing EQ off and on since the beginning (not on AK though, unfortunately). Haven't played on live (with the exception of a week on Agnarr) for about 15 years, but dabbled on p99 since they launched it. I wish I knew/understood what TAKP was all about sooner because I would have been here ages ago if so, aha.

This time around I'm attempting to get my husband (McScrooge) on board. He already loves Norrath (as I've been running it as a setting for my D&D games for years now), but I just gotta get him to love the vidja game itself. He's been running around as an ikky sk while we wait on our exemption, and I think he's been enjoying it a lot so .. fingers crossed!

I'm thinking I'm going to trio an inky cleric and chanter with another ikky to compliment his aesthetically, but not sure on the class yet .. suggestions? He's going to avoid boxing for now. We're on Euro time, but from what I understand (after gardnerjens awesomely pointed it out to me), that shouldn't be too much of a problem as there's a community on this side of the pond too.

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to getting to know you guys. The community seems absolutely fantastic, which frankly is a breath of fresh air that I wasn't sure existed in emu communities. I'm mourning for the lost time for not getting here sooner, but happy that we found you guys at all!

Happy Easter weekend and see you all in Norrath!

Tesadar, Mokli, Palarran and 3 others like this.
  2. Tuluvien

Tuluvien I Feel Loved

Welcome home! Glad to have you.

Some good options in Iksar for your third toon, BST would augment your other two well, as would an SK.

You will find <Destiny> has a healthy Euro population and runs some raids during appropriate times.

The nature of TAK is such that I'm confident anyone, of any established guild, will be able to help you guys out with anything you may need, any questions you may have.

Enjoy your time here, it really is a special place.

Tesadar, Nimbles and DubRemix88 like this.
  3. Nimbles

Nimbles Member

Thank you for the warm welcome and suggestions, Tuluvien :}

Oh man, BST. I was leaning that way or necro, but I haven't played anything beyond Velious in a decade at least, and never tried one myself. That will definitely be a learning experience. Are there any good BST guides out there? On that note, what resources do people typically use for this era? I have no idea where to look up stuff for Luclin+; is it just good old alla?

4. Pithy

Pithy I Feel Loved

Nimbles likes this.
  5. Braven

Braven Well-Known Member

Welcome. Seems like BST, MAG, WIZ, or BRD would sync well.
    BST would have stacking mana regen, stat buffs, SoW, and pet dps.
    MAG gives you easy dps and DS, pet items for your ENC and your husband
    WIZ is easy dps and ports - extra nice since it would be much more expensive for an Iksar to port compared to other SK races (OT hammer)
    BRD can either just do regen or spam mez on a charmed pet to make boxing a charmer safer
    GL

Nimbles likes this.
  6. Nimbles

Nimbles Member

Ah, awesome. Thank you for the links, Pithy. I'll give them a look over!

Thank you for the excellent suggestions, Braven. MAG and WIZ sound very tempting, but we're RP nerds and aesthetics mean a lot for our headcanons; want another lizard in the squad, so BST is probably the way I'll be going. Maybe when/if he boxes too we'll look into those! ... But man, yeah, MAG sounds really nice. Blah, decisions, decisions.

7. rainessa

rainessa People Like Me

With bard, you can get some mask or another to match several of the races. You can role play it up as someone trying to fit in, sneak in, or whatnot.

Nimbles likes this.
  8. Nimbles

Nimbles Member

Aha, good point Rainessa. Mask hunting does sound pretty fun, ngl. Hubs was originally interested in bard, so maybe he'll play one sometime. Not sure why, but I could never get into the class myself.

Oh that reminds me! Out of curiosity, what's the status on Sleeper? Do the gnomey masks still drop?

9. Neealana

Neealana People Like Me

Lot of gnome masks in the community.

As a cleric, I do wonder who is handling heals for your group !

Nimbles likes this.
  10. Nimbles

Nimbles Member

Ah, that's awesome to hear. So they're still attainable. What about things like prenerf CoS?

And I'm making a cleric! Cleric, enchanter, and likely beastlord for my boxes, and he's the SK.

11. DubRemix88

DubRemix88 People Like Me

Welcome!

As far as bst guides...
    https://beastlords.org/index.php?topic=217.0 I was both, generally, pretty green and new to the beastlord class on this server, this (dated)guide helped me get my bearings. Flash of light isnt a very good choice for agro on this server, tainted breath works great. Your pet heals will always be more useful/effective than your normal line of heals. Fleeting fury (then savagery) spams on you and your pet shouldnt be overlooked. Levels 1-20 and 50-59 the class felt pretty underpowered. Sometimes you need to play like a monk, a mage, sometimes like an sk, sometimes like a shaman. Overall a great class, have parsed 75dps with less than 30AA and am excited to see what Im capable of in the near future.

Nimbles likes this.
  12. Nimbles

Nimbles Member

I'm going to be going at BST with pretty much 0 idea of what I'm doing so that link, and more importantly your insight, is a huge help. Thank you, Talyn :} Sounds like a blast though, looking forward to trying it out.

Smudge and DubRemix88 like this.
  13. Smudge

Smudge People Like Me

Sometimes going out of your comfort zone is great. When I started on TAKP I decided to roll a class I had never even created an alt of before (mage) and haven't regretted it. It can be fun learning the ins and outs of a class like it's your first time!

14. Ripwind

Ripwind People Like Me

Beastlord is a great choice. I'd be happy to offer up any pointers once you get settled in! Sadly you don't get your first pet until 9, but after that you've got a 'lil buddy for life!

If you're looking for some starting plat, find me on Syphie, Year, or Syphietrader (Though I might not check my trader regularly). Edit: Or just ask if I'm on in Alliance chat.

DubRemix88 likes this.
  15. Nimbles

Nimbles Member

I agree completely, Smudge. I'm looking forward to being a bumbling newb, aha. And I never played a mage either, but I've definitely been tempted this time around.

And yee, Syphie, the 1-9 so far has been a lonely trek without my dino buddy, but it hasn't been as rough as I expected and I'm really enjoying it so far! Thank you for your generous offer. I gotta admit, usually I do like roughing it a bit at first though, and Mac (my hubby) feels similarly since he's just learning the ropes. But I'll let you know if my will weakens, aha (very cool of you, btw). Thinking of doing that heady kiola and spider silk/swatch hustle. Any other plat-making suggestions are appreciated too!

16. Barnd0g

Barnd0g People Like Me

If you're looking for some starting plat, find me on Syphie, Year, or Syphietrader (Though I might not check my trader regularly). Edit: Or just ask if I'm on in Alliance chat.[/QUOTE]

can I have 100k?

Tesadar likes this.
  17. Inverse

Inverse New Member

Spouse and I are waiting for the go ahead to get started. New here not at all new to EQ. We both played on original A'K' as well as live, have done several prog servers, and I played on the other well known indie EQ server for a while. Have Aveenia the eternal Dark Elf Druid created, once we get cleared for the household IP exception we will be in game, me probably way too much.

Ripwind, Elroz and necra like this.
  18. Ripwind

Ripwind People Like Me

can I have 100k?[/QUOTE]

That's the least I can do for you, Barn!

Barnd0g likes this.
  19. Quinas

Quinas Member

Welcome!

Nimbles likes this.
  20. RichardCox

RichardCox Active Member

Nimbles and McScrooge, I enjoyed working with you Sunday in LOIO getting those last Sarnak's fangs for your quest, and I look forward to working with your more as you progress. Good Luck. - Hobzz

Mokli, Ripwind, Nimbles and 1 other person like this.