P99 player starting up on TAKP

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rabitz, Apr 19, 2018.

1. Rabitz

Rabitz Member

Hello! I am one of those burnt out p99 players looking to start a few characters on this server. I've already rolled a character to ask some basic questions to players in game- thanks to all that took the time to answer my questions.

My main will be a ranger, I'm certain of this. I have never boxed but am figuring I should give it a go when I start to make my life easier. I'm having a hard time deciding on the other classes for my 3 box however. I figured Cleric is a good choice. I have considered Enchanter, Necro, Wizard, or Mage for the 3rd box- though I open to other suggestions.

My main question is not what box is the "best" in terms of leveling efficiency, but rather what roles Ench/Nec/Wiz/Mag play at raids? When I played live I was a dumb kid who never got a toon above 50+. I've experience raiding on p99, but in that era Ench is primarily just a buffer at raids, Necro is a mana battery, Magician CoTH bot, and Wizard actually has some DPS potential with the unresistable spells. I realize TAKP is still in Velious which is the same era as P99, but looking forward to future with SoL and PoP do Ench/Nec/Mag gain any use in raids from the current roles?

I'm looking forward to leveling up the toons, I just don't want to have lvl 60's that I don't plan on raiding with.

Thanks for you help!

P.S. I am Rabitz/Eyekoraa/Jephri on p99...do I have any frens here?

Linkamus likes this.
  2. Fadetree

Fadetree People Like Me

Hiyas. I'm also a P99 refugee, but I've been here for almost a year now. It's great, very glad I came. It's a completely different server and mindset, all for the better in my opinion. Both servers are run well by good devs, but the endgame mentality on P99 by the player base is not the same here. Lots of people like that aspect of P99, that's great, but I did not. But enough about that. People here are very friendly and laid back, and that's the aspect I enjoy the most.

Welcome, and check out The Horde if you're looking for a guild. We are very small currently but looking to build. Mostly we are just levelling and working on basic stuff like epics, etc. Check us out online at http://eqhorde.gamerlaunch.com

Foxhorde and Linkamus like this.
  3. Linkamus

Linkamus People Like Me

If you're looking to maximize your solo ability with a ranger, I would definitely go cleric + enchanter!

However, if you're looking to maximize your impact on raids, while the above combo is still great, a ranger + 2 clerics, or a ranger + 2 wizards would be optimal.

Also keep in mind that each guild here will have a different boxing policy for raids.

Whatever you choose, welcome to the server! I hope you find a home here :) .

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
  4. Rabitz

Rabitz Member

Thanks so much for the quick responses!

Fadetree, this friendly, laid back atmosphere is what I look forward to the most! When sending unsolicited tells to lvl 60's about starting stats, one player asked me "Do you plan on getting ST Keyed"? Just the fact that loot of the caliber is on the table is so. damn. exciting. At first I thought the smaller population would make the game less fun for me, however now I'm looking at it through the "kid in a candy shop" lens.

Linkamus, would you be able to elaborate on different boxing policies for raids? Is this in terms of how many character you can play during a raid or more focused around what you can bid on/loot? I didn't even think about this.

Thanks y'all!

5. Fadetree

Fadetree People Like Me

I main a ranger with ench+cleric, and yeah that's about as good a grind combo as anything. I think Link was saying that the extra heals from 2 clerics would be appreciated on a raid more than your normal grind trio, OR that the nuking power of the wizards would be for a similar reason.
    Once AM3+EQ is in, I plan to box 3 Rangers on a raid :)

6. Linkamus

Linkamus People Like Me

Rabitz - As you get to know the different guilds, I would just inquire about their boxing policies if you're thinking about joining one. I'm not sure about the specifics for each guild!

Fadetree - How do you plan on boxing 3 rangers without auto-fire? Use 3 separate macs and put weights on 3 different keyboards? haha. That would be... Interesting.

7. Foxhorde

Foxhorde People Like Me

If anyone can do I’d put my plat on fadetree!

As for your question some guilds don’t allow boxing on raids. While others allow the 3 box max.

With your trio you will def want a healer as it will help you level up and I feel you can never have to many healers on a raid.

I 3 box a necro enchanter cleric combo and I find it’s great for everything from grinding to dungeon crawls to raiding.

I don’t know much about velious raiding as I’ve always focused more on luclin content. Enchanters may or may not have a lot to do in the current content but I know with luclin a lot of high end raid content requires several enchanters to hold down adds during the fight.

The horde is currently building up its characters and player base and will start raiding when luclin is released.

You have any questions feel free to reach out to any horde member in game or on here.

FOR THE HORDE!!!

8. Fadetree

Fadetree People Like Me

1a2a3a1a2a3a
    Hehe, yeah it'll be interesting. But with PC clients and Hotkey I can get them into place, then (keypad 1)5(keypad 2)5(keypad 3)5 and repeat...those keystrokes will activate client 1, shoot, switch to client 2, shoot, switch to client 3, shoot, etc. Still I was mostly kidding, but I think it'd work.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
  9. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

Add macro detection for archery next. Copy.

Linkamus likes this.
  10. Barnd0g

Barnd0g People Like Me

Rangers are gonna <3 you Fadetree =P

11. Bum

Bum I Feel Loved

Necro + cleric would be the best combo for a ranger main

So you have two chances of landing a rez after the ranger dies

12. Linkamus

Linkamus People Like Me

Haha. Ya fadetree I think that would be a quick way to get banned ;) .

Edit: Nevermind, I think I misunderstood your post.

13. Faults

Faults I Feel Loved

Step 1: Replace each ranger with an epic mage
    Step 2: ???????????????????????
    Step 3: Profit
    Step 4: The realization rangers aren't people

14. Fadetree

Fadetree People Like Me

Wait, what. Since when would using Hotkey, which comes with the distro, to switch client focus, then manually press the ranged attack key for each shot get me banned? I meant I would continue to rotate clients and manually press, not sit back and watch an autofire macro. That was what the 'etc.' was in my post. I am really planning on trying this, so if that would be bannable, please let me know now. Haynar - please do add that detection, I don't want to compete with somebody using a macro to autoshoot.

Anyway, to OP - As you can tell, macro'ing is a sensitive subject, and it's bannable, of which I approve. Again, welcome, and I didn't mean to hijack your thread with all this. I'm out.

15. Faults

Faults I Feel Loved

I mean stacks of pennies are AKurate. That's pretty much every LiS raid for me.

16. Bum

Bum I Feel Loved

Wait, would stacks of pesos work?

17. Linkamus

Linkamus People Like Me

Maybe I misread your post. Thought you were talking about a macro that would automatically do all that for you. Now that I re-read your post, I see you're talking about doing everything with manual keystrokes.

I guess that would work... I'd like to see it in action.

18. J1zmak

J1zmak Well-Known Member

If you want a 3-box composition with a ranger main that is strongest on raids, I would echo Link on 2x clr or 2x wiz. Playing 2 of the same class makes boxing a whole lot more managable IMO. However, 2x wizards would be a weak solo trio, so unless you are leveling up with a friend, I wouldn't go that route. If you want more flexibility during solo play but also have a strong impact on raids, you might want to consider clr/bard, clr/ench, or clr/bst.

Bard is great for regen song, resists, mez, slows, move speed, haste, all sorts of stuff really, and is powerful even if all you do is roll a single song with no twisting. Beastlord gives you a slow, great DPS, mana regen, haste. Enchanter would give you haste, mana regen, mez, charm, slows. All of these are very impactful on raids but also strong for solo grinding.

Linkamus and Pithy like this.
  19. Ripwind

Ripwind People Like Me

Fellow P99 refugee here - welcome! I played Year Wasted there a few years back.

Based on your preferences, and wanting something useful for raids, I wonder how something like Ranger, Mage, Shaman would work out. Heals would be a little sparse until Torpor, but I think you'd be able to get by. And you can fall back on the mage pet to tank. You'd have good DPS, damage shield, slows, buffs, and heals. No mana buffs, but I think you'd be OK. At 34 the shaman gets a pet, too, so I think you'd be in pretty good shape.

20. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

Ranger, Cleric, Enchanter is the hands down best trio for group/dungeon play. Nothing else really comes close.

If that doesn't interest you, basically any combination including a healer and either a puller or CC class will suffice. I would advise against playing multiple Melee classes as positioning can be annoying, it's not bad if someone else is pulling and you are tanking. But if you're doing the pulling to it's annoying.

I'd also tend to lean against Druid as your Healer as they are currently the weakest of the three. Luclin will allow them to jump Shamans but you still have too much overlap with ranger abilities (Harmony, SoW/SoE, DS, Regen). However if you're dead set on Druid they'll do fine you just have some redundant abilities and lack the ones shaman or Cleric offer like slow/stat Debuffs/haste or Aego/rez.

Ranger, Shaman, Bard would be interesting and work fairly well. More micromanaging than most combinations.

Ranger, Shaman, Magician wouldn't be too bad either. CotH and Snare parking allows you to pull with ranger in areas Harmony of Nature isn't available.

Ranger, Shaman, Necromancer would work pretty well with Necro pulling where the ranger cannot. Also it offers rez in a pinch. Right now this server has boatloads of Essence emeralds since we are stuck in an era with nothing to do with our EXP but the price on them will jump quite a bit when Luclin comes out and any EXP loss is EXP you have to regain or you can't put EXP into AAs.

Linkamus likes this.
  21. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

Play what is fun to play. Play what is fun to raid. Just plan to have fun. Play to have fun.

H

Videri-Tala, Linkamus and Ripwind like this.
  22. Faults

Faults I Feel Loved

I play a monk/dru/enc for dungeons and a monk/bard on raids. They don't have to be the same composition if you really want shit to happen - you make it happen. Echoing Haynar; gotta find your own fun.

Ripwind likes this.
  23. Bum

Bum I Feel Loved

Ripwind likes this.
  24. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

I tend to play evil races. I avoid playing classes like druids and rangers. I take much pride as I glance at a WE ranger corpse on the ground. A halfling druid overcome by their quad, dying a slow and miseable death.

I laugh at ranger jokes.

I ask myself. Would Chuck Norris ever play a ranger? No.

Faults and Ripwind like this.
  25. Linkamus

Linkamus People Like Me

That's so metal. Now that I know you hate rangers, my hopes and dreams of the archery wall bug one day maybe being removed here have been destroyed forever! :p

26. Fadetree

Fadetree People Like Me

Hmmm...I believe he actually DID play a Ranger. :)[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Draeko, Linkamus and Neealana like this.
  27. Ripwind

Ripwind People Like Me

In Texas? By the name of Walker?

28. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

Noooooo!!!!!

Linkamus likes this.
  29. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

I am just playing.

Is the archery wall bug aKurate?

30. Rabitz

Rabitz Member

This thread is wonderful. My favorite comment was Bum's.

I mained a Shaman on p99 so my desire to roll another one isn't the strongest right now...how much is Torpor on this server?

I'm pretty positive my healer/2nd box will be Cleric.

I'd be interested in BL since I've never played one. Do they have a role at raids or are they just not-as-good Shamans?

Nec/Wiz/Mag interest me more than Ench, but I'm probably laking the appropriate CC if I switch.

Thanks everyone for their input!