Teaching kids to play

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BonnieJ, Sep 26, 2017.

1. BonnieJ

BonnieJ New Member

What's the best way to teach a 9yr old the ropes of EQ? I started a character to play along with her and show her how things go, but it isn't like the "old days" where there were a ton of other low-level people that could form groups. Still, I'm guessing that's the best way to do this. She can learn how her toon acts in a variety of situations & learn EQ etiquette at the same time. But since none of my chars are over 26 (and I only played on original EQ until the mid-30's) maybe I'm going about this all wrong. What do y'all think?

2. Bum

Bum I Feel Loved

While in theory we want to keep the game clean for kids to play... I wouldn't let them really interact until lvl 15 irl... you should turn off chat channels, ooc, shout, auction, say...

Let them play sandbox style unless you want them introduced to people like Nukem, Fansy, or Jonathan.

On the other hand my sweatshops are always hiring.

Oiwon likes this.
  3. gardnerjens

gardnerjens People Like Me

Or Bum

Bum likes this.
  4. BonnieJ

BonnieJ New Member

5. shortok

shortok People Like Me

Probably doing fine just grouping and leveling up in interesting places. Explore a bit.

The only times I've had bad/mediocre results introducing people to the game were when I overdid the PLing and twinking. The skinner box doesn't quite take hold if folks get an unrealistic expectation for the speed/difficulty of the game.

Videri-Tala likes this.
  6. Oiwon

Oiwon People Like Me

I taught my 7 year old cousin how to play. Just set him loose in either FoB or Freeport, they will kill rats and snakes for hours. Prob do want to keep him out of alliance chat. Actually it's not too bad in there, i bet he wouldn't even get most of the jokes. Have fun

7. BonnieJ

BonnieJ New Member

Yeah, I'm not PLing much - Suffering took her from 4-7 so she could group with my 14 druid (that I made at the same time she made her pally & then saw a PL opportunity while she was in bed). I haven't seen too much off-color stuff that she would understand or that I would be worried about.

8. Skratching

Skratching Active Member

I would keep her characters /anon or /roleplay, less likely to have people interact. Don't post her character names either.

BonnieJ and Oiwon like this.
  9. BonnieJ

BonnieJ New Member

Good ideas, thanks.