XMI/MIDI Background music using mp3 files

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kicnlag, Sep 9, 2016.

1. shortok

shortok People Like Me

I have ebay alerts set for these, my midi mp3s are gonna be legit af one day.

Also this looks neat. (SB16 emu)

I imagine a lot of folks playing in '99/'00 were on SB16/32/awe/live. Composer was probably using some better stuff though.

Some people are crazy serious about their retro gaming midis.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
  2. Tudo Bem

Tudo Bem Member

So someone is working on this for us Mac-heads? I'd hate to load Windoze on these pretty machines....lol

3. robregen

robregen Administrator Staff Member

we figured out the emi parameter. I'm hoping someone would get it together up and upload a new client version with sound support. If not, I could. I'm not a mac head tho so I rather have someone else do it.

4. kicnlag

kicnlag Active Member

I was hoping some people would test this and have some feedback. Anyone try it out? Good results?

5. Yinn Yang

Yinn Yang People Like Me

I'll do it this evening when I get home... just download, copy/paste into my /Applications/EverQuest.app/Contents/Resources/, and I'm good to go? No need to remove or delete anything that's currently in there?

6. robregen

robregen Administrator Staff Member

I have all sounds working on mac intel. Been using it the past 2 days with no issue. It was nice hearing the nexus and bazaar music using mac intel. :)

Lenas likes this.
  7. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

Some of the global sounds, like music when in a vendor browsing, are midi only. So still looking for those kinds of solutions.

8. kicnlag

kicnlag Active Member

9. Tudo Bem

Tudo Bem Member

This is awesome guys!!! Thanks so much for this !!!
    Now if you could solve my last pet peeve, you would be EQ GODS!
    "On the Mac client in windowed mode, Please make the gamma slider work !"

10. Yinn Yang

Yinn Yang People Like Me

When you say "midi only", does that mean it can't be converted to mp3 using the tool, or does that mean that the trigger to play it (when you open vendor or banker window) is somehow linked to the midi file itself, so it can't be triggered properly? What if Seduce was able to reproduce the vendor tune in an mp3 version? Is that any help, or is it a different issue? (I'm sure Seduce really appreciates me volunteering their services :rolleyes: )

11. kicnlag

kicnlag Active Member

The problem isn't with converting them but rather that we can't use a zone file to specify which mp3 to play.

The xmi reference and subsong mappings appear to be hard coded into the client. Unless Haynar has another idea; all I've got for possible solutions are getting the client to play the xmi files or editing/injecting the client.

12. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

The global sounds, loads gl.xmi into the sound manager. It sets those contained midi tracks, to certain things in game. Its hard coded.

The sound drivers on mac are using the Miles Sound System. There may be different drivers that are better supported. I can try to contact the MSS people and ask about drivers and the issues we are having with playing midi. There may already be a solution, that we are unaware of.

H

13. Yinn Yang

Yinn Yang People Like Me

This is amazing... I downloaded this Mac client with music and it is working great. As mentioned, the only things missing are some global music, i.e. opening a vendor window (I think it was the same when opening a banker window). I haven't walked by the tavern in PoK to check if the rowdy tavern sounds play... but will do that soon.

Many thanks!

14. Yinn Yang

Yinn Yang People Like Me

Props again on getting this figured out and working again! I am on my iMac and hearing all kinds of music I had forgotten about, including various tunes all through Temple of Veeshan... the entry point is one song and NToV is totally different... very cool stuff!

Ransom likes this.