Newbie here, some Questions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Langor, Sep 29, 2016.

1. Langor

Langor Member

Hello,

New to this version of EQ. Loving it so far! I decided to start playing a class I never had a chance to play (The mage, if I recall the class was one of the best vanilla solo classes next to the necro). I have set up my screen to play 680x480 with the classic GUI. But one annoying thing, is the green server (I think that's what it is) bar in the bottom right of the screen. Is there a way to disable it? And how do I update my client... using the one from the wiki that says 1.0.

Also, I noticed if you select Human race and choose Qeynos, the description shows Freeport. Additionally, I noticed that there was no preview picture you my character in the upper right when in the inventory menu. I heard that might be a DX7 issue though. Other than that no issues. Thanks for an awesome server!

2. Ransom

Ransom Well-Known Member

Try pressing F11 to remove the green latency bar.

Langor likes this.
  3. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

I suggest playing at a modern resolution with a proper interface. How would a raid window work in a classic UI? Our client, and our content's requirement of information display, is years beyond the classic UI.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
    Ransom likes this.
  4. Langor

Langor Member

@Ransom: Thanks for the information. Ill try it my next play session.

@Lenas: I am not playing to raid. I am playing to bring back memories from the past. I will most likely only solo. I can't believe how much I have forgotten over the years. Keep getting lost in Qeynos lol. Though I think I am getting it down now. Here's a small video of a reborn noob.

Aades, jacky and surron like this.
  5. surron

surron People Like Me

lol those lvl 1's were shredding you man, you should have trained in Piercing at the mage trainer

Langor and Ripwind like this.
  6. Ripwind

Ripwind People Like Me

Heh, the eternal struggle of scraping together enough money to buy spells. You're a brave man playing with that UI, Langor!

Langor likes this.
  7. sowislifesowislove

sowislifesowislove People Like Me

Good god that UI. Good luck man.

8. Langor

Langor Member

I know. But this was my first run in years and forgot about the trainer. I had hard enough time finding a way out of Qeynos. On my second video I found the trainer and trained piercing, along with turning in the starter scroll to get a chest piece. Trying to keep my experience 'original' and what it was like being thrown to the wolves.

I have enough money. For some reason a Poisoned Rat tail sells for 1pp. I don't recall anything being that much starting off from a newbie zone at level 1. I remember being in Butcherblock Mountains collecting chain mail off dwarf guards and selling them for 3-5pp... at a lot higher level for money. On my second video I bought some more spells, but nothing seemed useful other than the summon dagger spell, as it was a little higher DPS than the rusty one I was using. Only one more level to go now and then I can get my pet scrolls which I believe are level 4, when I finally found the scroll trader.

Thanks! I love your forum name lol.

9. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

Forgot how annoying that combat music is.

10. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

/combatmusic off

11. Torven

Torven I Feel Loved

The starter tunic's 2 AC is actually very significant at level 1. AC works here, so it shouldn't be neglected. It's worth buying cloth even if you don't get it from skeletons.

Langor likes this.
  12. thucydides

thucydides I Feel Loved

this makes me feel so much better about the fact that my first ever char on live spent ages farming the money to buy leather armor from merchants

Langor likes this.
  13. jacky

jacky Member

super into this... im doing same thing. wish i could get the classic UI to load... dont know what's wrong with my .ini file

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
  14. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

Are you using PC or Mac client?

15. Trybil

Trybil Member

When I first came back to AlKabor EQ after about 10 years away, I died many many times to Orcs every time my druid wandered off the Kelethin lift. My reaction, compared to other intervening MMO's, was "EQ is hard!".

Neealana and Mokli like this.
  16. Thuule

Thuule Active Member

Is there any reason you have a picture of a wigger as your avatar????

17. Elroz

Elroz I Feel Loved Staff Member

I could ask you the same question

18. benoeb

benoeb People Like Me

[​IMG]

Bum and sowislifesowislove like this.
  19. pharmakos

pharmakos People Like Me

there were a lot of bugs with the old UI, not sure if they got fixed. might impede even solo play.