New player/AkAnon info

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BonnieJ, Feb 15, 2017.

1. BonnieJ

BonnieJ New Member

First of all, thanks to everyone who worked on this project. It's awesome.
    Secondly, although I have prior EQ experience, I've never played a gnome mage before. I started one a few days ago and was going to use this - https://wiki.project1999.com/Afid's_Beginner_Magician_Leveling_Guide_(1-20) - as a guide to getting around the Steamfont Mountains, but their description of the zone doesn't seem to jive with what we have. Can anyone help me out? Are there any decent newbie hunting areas in Steamfont or should I go somewhere else? I played a ranger in my past life, so I don't mind soloing, and I'm not looking for rapid leveling. I'm just tired of running into so many scowling or threatening reds and yellows.

2. Elroz

Elroz I Feel Loved Staff Member

qeynos is my favorite newbie zone because of all the skeletons. I think you can do steamfont though if you get to level 2 or 3 and do the first kobold camp kind of near druid rings. Once you get your first pet it's all downhill though.

3. Neealana

Neealana People Like Me

Personally, I would not use Steamfont unless I were intending to work on the newbie armor

BonnieJ likes this.
  4. Pithy

Pithy I Feel Loved

I did find Steamfont a bit sparse and strange (compared on my Al'Kabor experience) here, but I never quite pinned down the differences closely enough to report them. Elroz is right about the kobold camps, but until level 3 or 4 there seems not to be much yard trash.

From a practical perspective, if you want a good leveling zone you might head over to the Field of Bone (take the PoK book out of Steamfont, then take the Cabilis book to FoB). There are a lot of mobs to fight from levels 1-8ish, at which point you can head to Kurn's Tower for fantastic experience through the high teens. That's a pretty popular leveling path, so you're more likely to find a group there than pretty much any other lowbie zones.

BonnieJ likes this.
  5. robregen

robregen Administrator Staff Member

Steamfont was hard to work with because it no longer exist on live. and only the revamp version of the zone. I did try to group them to lower levels versus higher levels.

BonnieJ likes this.
  6. BonnieJ

BonnieJ New Member

Ok, thanks! I've taken her to BB and Gfay but not really anywhere else yet.

7. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

Always preferred Qeynos and Black Burrow at the beginning levels (up to 12ish), then Kurns, Unrest, HHK, etc.