Zem's zone experience modifiers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by vannari, Sep 5, 2015.

1. vannari

vannari Well-Known Member

2. robregen

robregen Administrator Staff Member

yeah it's the same. We found the ZEM in the zone packet from AK and applied it to this server.

3. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

4. robregen

actually here's the complete list.

Stamm and vannari like this.
  5. vannari

vannari Well-Known Member

Cool thanks all :)

6. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

PoStorms is really the highest? Interesting. PoFire is less than PoWater also interesting.

Ugh I miss PoP.

Mokli and Sturmm like this.
  7. Hyacinth

Hyacinth Active Member

ban the hackers grinding POK mobs

Khorpus likes this.
  8. Cerebro

Cerebro Member

No xp in PoTime?

9. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

Time A didn't have any killable mobs so perhaps not!

Time B probably was sweet exp at 65 solo though!

10. Torven

Torven I Feel Loved

Storms is higher because the mobs in that zone are beaters. I parsed stats on mobs all over the game in the month before the shutdown, and all PoStorms NPCs hit harder and had more hitpoints than typical PoP NPCs around their level.

11. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

From my frog charming days, I can buy that.

Verdent likes this.
  12. Stamm

Stamm Member

Does anyone else feel there are differences between this table and what they remember about AK?

Kaesora, City of Mist, Emerald Jungle, Thurgadin, Siren's Grotto and Dalnir are all quite different on the above table than what I experienced. Kaesora especially was a huge xp bonus zone. I'd guess around 160. City of Mist was very low and definitely lower than EJ. I spent obscene amounts of time in all 3 zones with the same character and I remember these differences quite clearly. Kaesora especially was a hot XPing zone. It was nice to have this as an alternative to HHK. IN fact, although the xp per kill was very similar, Kaesora was better because of the unlimited mobs.

13. robregen

our packet from AK shows it 1.10 translated into 110 for Kaesora which is still a bit high for the level zone it is in for Kunark. Kurn is 1.50 or 150

Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
  14. Stamm

Stamm Member

How does that work? I'm not familiar with what a packet is or how it can tell you the XP level.

I've killed several mobs in Kaesora on TAKP and it's noticeably different.

Also, this is the only zone so far where I've noticed an actual difference by testing it in game. The other ones I mentioned about where based on the data in the table.

15. robregen

it's an actual packet that we caught while Al'Kabor was still up. we caught just about every zone data which includes safepoints, fog data, sky type, clip plane distance, and even weather type. ZEM is included in that packet.

we can manipilate these data in the database. Imagine Qeynos has the sky like Plane of Fear? or South Ro can snow or have sky like Nektulos? We can make it like that. But no, we make them exactly what and how it is from the packet.

16. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

Packets are bits of data sent between client and the server. Rob got the exact numbers by reading these packets. The values are directly copied from AK.

Also I'll note that while you seem to think Kaesora here is lacking, it is indeed one of the best exp spots in game for its level range.

robregen likes this.
  17. surron

surron People Like Me

the 4 and 5th group member bonus exp bug is not implemented here on TAKP so if you are remembering exp as it was like on AK in a group of 4+ that is why

Verdent likes this.
  18. Stamm

Stamm Member

Lenas: I didn't say that it was lacking. It's actually one of my favorite zones. Maybe my favorite zone in all of Kunark. Though Sebilis is a tough opponent.

But I was disappointed when I found some differences from the AK version.

I've probably spent over 1000 hours in the zone on AK, so I have a pretty good idea of what I was like.

I also spent a lot of time in MIstmoore, Crushbone and GFay as well, and aside from "quiet" NPC's, they are accurate. So I'm not just harping on how TAKP isn't accurate in general.

There are definite differences in Kaesora, some of them are great and were never intended to be the way there were on AK (fixed doors) and some of them are just....different.

Robregen: Thanks for the explanation. It is possible to double check that packet data quickly and easily? If it takes too much time, don't bother. I just really find it hard to believe that the ZEM as it is now is accurate for that zone after experiencing such a striking exp bonus on AK in all my time there.

19. robregen

I just took a look before replying to here and they are what the data is to be precise.

20. Stamm

Stamm Member

Strange. Thanks anyway!

21. Stamm

Stamm Member

I was mostly solo sometimes groups. It was a great place for a warrior to solo with DS potions because the skellies hit so often and their hp and dps aren't too high to manage. And of course they don't flee

22. Neealana

Neealana People Like Me

I still do not think of

" the 4 and 5th group member bonus exp bug is not implemented here on TAKP so if you are remembering exp as it was like on AK in a group of 4+ that is why"

as being a bug.

I do think it would encourage people who are 3 boxing themselves to add another person ( or 2 ). NOT the crazy group xp that has been quoted, but some crumb would be nice.

23. Stamm

Stamm Member

I remember when Hobart implemented that. There was even a MOTD message about it when you logged in.

24. Khorpus

Khorpus Well-Known Member

Great place on our server to go from 40 to 50 and get your key pieces for HS :)

25. surron

surron People Like Me

a motd about 4+ group members giving more exp? if that's true then its not a bug and should be re-implemented imo.

26. Stamm

Stamm Member

Unfortunately I don't have my logs to prove it, but yes. I remember I was in shade weavers when I logged back in after that patch and yes there was a message about it. It was shortly after the WoW exodus. That info or even a quote of the login message may be on Eqmac.com as well or some guild websites for those interested in finding proof.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2016
  27. Torven

Torven I Feel Loved

As I said in the other thread, the current 20% bonus per group member (up to five) was a late (May 27, 2003) PoP addition. I think it more likely that Hobart was referring to that and not the bugged 4, 5, and 6 man bonuses. Prior to that, the exp bonus was a mere 2% at two members scaled to 20% for six.

Also the 6th man doesn't take any exp away from the group, so adding a sixth is always beneficial, even if he does nothing. 20% per extra member is so large that if each member were active, it's almost always better to add them unless you have significant downtime due to lack of NPCs to kill.

Assuming the code is functioning as intended:

In a 3 man group, each player gets 140% / 3 = 46.6%.
    In a 6 man group, each player gets 180% / 5 = 36%.

Only 10.6% less exp per kill with twice as many people helping to kill is a massive incentive to group.

Incidentally in that May patch, they also adjusted the PoP ZEMs downward to compensate for the bonus, which I doubt happened on AK.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
  28. Stamm

Stamm Member

Yes, in Hobarts post I recall him going through a similar explanation about the 6th group member not adding to the bonus. So we have this bonus on takp it seems.

What is the bugged 4-6 group xp? I'm not familiar with that, though I probably "experienced" it on AK. Har har har!