Your spell did not take hold

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lusiphur, Oct 1, 2017.

1. Lusiphur

Lusiphur Member

Apologies if this isn't the right forum for this but I am seeing a lot of these messages yesterday and today. Happens on heals, slows, buffs etc. It must be some kind of client/server desync issue but re-logging hasn't cleared it.

2. benoeb

benoeb People Like Me

I noticed I couldn't cast Annul Magic on myself as I received the same message.

3. Devour_Souls

Devour_Souls People Like Me

I've been having a similar sounding issue, only recently, with macros.

4. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

More info needed.

Are macros being used for targeting?

Targeting requires a packet back from server prior client approving target changes.

So if there is not a delay after using /target or /assist, and a spell is cast. The client may not use the new target. And you may get a message like this. As client sends previous target in packets to server.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
  5. benoeb

benoeb People Like Me

In my case no. I was sitting in PoK and after manually targeting myself I tried to dispell Ancient Breath off.

6. ingwit

ingwit Member

That may be related to POK being flagged as safe. Also, Ancient Breath is a disease.

Question for OP: are you clearing your spell gems with a buff that conflicts with an existing buff?

7. benoeb

benoeb People Like Me

Yeah but wizards don't get DIS cure so dispell it was.

8. Dane

Dane People Like Me

PoK is screwy on TAKP. As previously mentioned, it's flagged as "safe." So detrimental spells don't work, which includes dispell. Not sure if this is right.

edit: was mistaken about non-detrimental spells going through on PoK NPCs. You get an error message, but it is at the end of a cast. /thumbs up

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
  9. actualspaide

actualspaide People Like Me

Dispel won't remove ancient breath no matter how many times you cast :)

10. lurari

lurari People Like Me

Ranger gate is the best dispel. Cures everything.

11. benoeb

benoeb People Like Me

IF that is the case then I guess it was good I just drowned myself in the west area kiddie pool in PoK instead of waiting on a reason why I couldn't cast dispell on myself.

12. Dane

Dane People Like Me

Truth, but should you be able to cast dispel in PoK? Right now it won't even cast, even when targeting yourself.

13. actualspaide

actualspaide People Like Me

I have no idea on this. I would guess you should be able to but I have no proof what so ever

14. Elroz

Elroz I Feel Loved Staff Member

dispel was weird, it was like beneficial if pc casted on pc or npc casted on npc, detrimental if npc casts on pc or pc casts on npc

15. Devour_Souls

Devour_Souls People Like Me

Well yeah I can see that that is what's happening, it's just that that behavior is foreign to me.

/assist soandso
    /stand
    /cast #
    /pause (length of cast)
    /sit

or

/tar soandso
    /stand
    /cast #
    /pause (length of cast)
    /sit

I've never had a problem with latency affecting my target acquisition as I experience here. There were many times when I had high enough latency that I would have to extend the pause on the cast time, but never had to pause for the target piece.

16. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

Anything with Disease, Poison or Curse counters cannot be dispelled.

However the server will strip all buffs, beneficial and detrimental, if you zone with HP less than your total earned from raw HP gear.

For example if you have two Velium Fire Wedding Rings (65 HP x2) and a Cloak of Flames (50 HP), if you zone with under 180 HP all of your buffs will be removed.

It's helpful to keep this number in mind when zoning, even a rough idea of where your character stands. On a pure caster in this era, that number may be very small.

A PoTime geared player typically will have 130-150HP per slot so you are looking at close to 2000-3000 HP being the threshold for such geared players.

Draeko likes this.
  17. Lusiphur

Lusiphur Member

I should say my issue was due to wireless lag spikes from my new MBP 2016. Which I didn't have on the ancient 2011 MBP I was using. A reboot seems to have fixed it.